Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is it possible to permanently mess up a pet?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 06, 2013
I have a pig, but I stupidly sold my foods I had that give 3 different traits, thinking it was best to just feed it myth type foods. Will I miss out on anything if I just feed it the myth foods that give 1 trait for now? Is there a limit to how much I can feed it? Should I even worry about my first pet? I'm guessing there are better pets obtainable later, but not sure how far off I am from them (level 6 or 7 atm).

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Jason Lionheart on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
I have a pig, but I stupidly sold my foods I had that give 3 different traits, thinking it was best to just feed it myth type foods. Will I miss out on anything if I just feed it the myth foods that give 1 trait for now? Is there a limit to how much I can feed it? Should I even worry about my first pet? I'm guessing there are better pets obtainable later, but not sure how far off I am from them (level 6 or 7 atm).
The only advantage to feeding same-school snacks to your pet is the +1 or +2 bonus you'll get from a "like" or "love". In the grand scheme of things, over the period of time it takes to train a pet to high levels those few extra points won't really amount to a great deal. We're talking maybe 100 or 200 points. When you look at the amount of XP required to increase a pet's level you'll see that one or two hundred points is a drop in the bucket.
And if you're training the Stray Piggle pet then unfortunately it's not going to develop any really useful talents so spending your time on it is basically a waste.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Don't worry, it will be okay. You can train any attributes at any time. If you are trying for a highly competitive derby racer, there are some specific tricks to training, but otherwise it's not critical.

Most starter pets don't have the best talents, so you may want to train your first pet only up to adult, then hatch with more developed pets to bring in some more useful abilities.

Best of luck!

Survivor
Apr 08, 2011
I have a Ice pet, I have all ice pets, from the pets I have, you should pick the ice yeti, it is really nice pet!!

Survivor
Apr 06, 2013
So basically, if I use a food on a pet, it won't waste a training opportunity? So if I feed a pet a sub optimal food, I can still get my pet fully trained in the things I need it to as long as I can afford the food?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Jason Lionheart on Apr 5, 2016 wrote:
So basically, if I use a food on a pet, it won't waste a training opportunity? So if I feed a pet a sub optimal food, I can still get my pet fully trained in the things I need it to as long as I can afford the food?
Use all snacks that you have. You want to make sure the stat numbers on the right side of the pet window (with the blue bars) are full by the time you get to Mega (or, if you're good with snacks, you can fill the bars by Epic).

Do not use just one type of snack. It will not give you the points you need for each of the blue bars you need to fill.

I garden a LOT, so I have thousands of rank 9 snacks - ice, death, myth, life, balance. It doesn't matter what you use, just be sure to use them all

:)

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
doesn't matter what you feed your pet, food has nothing to do with ability manifesting in your pet, hatch with the pet that has talents you want then its all luck, there is no system that's going to help you get one talent or another.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
It depends on what your definition of "messed up" is but if a pet is "messed up" it's because it was hatched that way. Pet talents are pre-determined and there's nothing you can do during the training process that will change what you're pet will learn. The only way to modify talents is through hatching new generations.