Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Make PvP popular again!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 18, 2010
I have been playing Wizard101 since 2008 and over the years the amount of people in PvP has hugely decreased. There are no longer 4v4s, 3v3s, or even 2v2s taking place everyday which should be changed. I don't know how they could fix this issue, maybe by refreshing the ranks again and starting a 4th age for pvp, but something needs to be done to increase the amount of people in pvp matches. KI could also give a reward out to the top three players on the leaderboard or even have leaderboards for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 each earning a seperate reward. The top 3 teams on the 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 leaderboards can earn a free tournament pass or 500 crowns with a new reward every month. This could help get many people to go back into pvp and attract many old players to come back and play the game again.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Sounds like some interesting ideas Omarfiras1. However on your overall point of making changes, nothing is going to increase the PVP pop. until the lead developer decides to overhaul it. Which I don't think he has any intentions of doing. So as the common parlance goes... it is what it is.

See you in the arena.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2012
I don't think giving rewards for being on the top of the leaderboards is fair. People on top of the leaderboards generally cheated their way there. Rewards would have to be awarded to players of every rank for participating in PvP if it is to bring any real traffic to the Arena.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
omarfiras1 on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
I have been playing Wizard101 since 2008 and over the years the amount of people in PvP has hugely decreased. There are no longer 4v4s, 3v3s, or even 2v2s taking place everyday which should be changed. I don't know how they could fix this issue, maybe by refreshing the ranks again and starting a 4th age for pvp, but something needs to be done to increase the amount of people in pvp matches. KI could also give a reward out to the top three players on the leaderboard or even have leaderboards for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 each earning a seperate reward. The top 3 teams on the 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 leaderboards can earn a free tournament pass or 500 crowns with a new reward every month. This could help get many people to go back into pvp and attract many old players to come back and play the game again.
I would like to see a spot where only random people can join the team. cause most of your 2v2 teams are the same person. I saw the random join thing work really well in the test realm a while back I played for about four or five hours and it was really fun

Survivor
Jun 05, 2011
PvP was popular at once simply because it was good, not because people got tired of it. The updates after darkmoor has lowered the player count at a significant rate. In order to make PvP popular again, I would first take out critical from PvP, or go back to the old system critical block system (which we the players have been demanding), and remove shadow enhanced spells from PvP. Before Polaris, low level vs low level PvP was the only PvP that was fun, and took a fair amount of skill, but now the new critical system totally destroys low level PvP because it is almost impossible to block critical.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
SacredChargeBestLi... on Apr 2, 2016 wrote:
I don't think giving rewards for being on the top of the leaderboards is fair. People on top of the leaderboards generally cheated their way there. Rewards would have to be awarded to players of every rank for participating in PvP if it is to bring any real traffic to the Arena.
Seconded.

I tried PvP for the first time yesterday with my Level 14 Ice, and expected per Wizard101's literature on the subject to be paired against someone my level, not to have someone use Orthrus against me.

I won't use PvP again -ever-. Not until it's completely stripped down so that the only thing you can bring into that arena are the spells you have memorized. No gear, no pets, no nothing except your spellbook. That's the only way you could make it fair again.

To those that say its fair right now: explain to me how the #1 person on the PvP Leaderboard is a level 2 death wizard, who can't possibly have more than one memorized spell to his name. Strip that gear away, and everyone would be able to crush him, but with that gear, he's #1, beating people literally a hundred times his level.

Unfair much?

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
I have been pvp since first age. First age Warlord. 4v4 and 3v3 used to be a BIG thing. Now its completely gone. The spells we have now will completely wipe out a crew in just a few pips. It has made it impossible for 4 wizards to competitively stand up to each other because the spells are too strong. 4v4 and 3v3 needs to be revamped to make it competitive again. I loved it, and am very sad that it no longer has appeal in the pvp world anymore.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2014
Bad people make bad PVP , I 'm not going to PVP because the audience is rude .

Survivor
Oct 02, 2015
To make pvp popular again you need to created separate ranks for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4. With this being said you need to also have a leaderboard for all these modes as well. Team pvp takes longer and is more unreliable in terms of you have to rely on more than just yourself. So how bout better rewards for the more players on the battle circle? For instance, 4v4 could get a 125 tickets if you win while 3v3 gives 75 and 2v2 gives 50. If you don't create separate ranks for each mode, then maybe earning more rank for each win should be advised based on the amount of people in the arena circle. So maybe you gain 50 rank a win for every 4v4 won. People don't do ranked pvp that isn't 1v1 anymore because there are more risk and luck factors that happen with more players on the field. With this solution, people who care about win/loss ratio might not play. However, people who just care about rank and not win/ loss ratio could be interested and cause some unique team gameplay to unfold.

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
I only bother to play PvP with people of the vicinity of my level. Simply put, the thing that's destroying PvP is how overpowered high-leveled players are over lower-level players. Back then, even if you had a higher level, you didn't completely obliterate the other team instantly through critical hits that the other team has no chance of avoiding. Honestly, this is what makes PvP so arbitrary, because the only ones who are having fun are high-leveled teams, blinded by their own arrogance.

I still have a good round of PvP every now and then, but nothing is pulling me to immerse myself in PvP matches.

Melissa Smith - Master Sorcerer Lvl. 45

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Halimeda on Apr 9, 2016 wrote:
Seconded.

I tried PvP for the first time yesterday with my Level 14 Ice, and expected per Wizard101's literature on the subject to be paired against someone my level, not to have someone use Orthrus against me.

I won't use PvP again -ever-. Not until it's completely stripped down so that the only thing you can bring into that arena are the spells you have memorized. No gear, no pets, no nothing except your spellbook. That's the only way you could make it fair again.

To those that say its fair right now: explain to me how the #1 person on the PvP Leaderboard is a level 2 death wizard, who can't possibly have more than one memorized spell to his name. Strip that gear away, and everyone would be able to crush him, but with that gear, he's #1, beating people literally a hundred times his level.

Unfair much?
It's not his gear that got him his rank, it's boosting

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Perhaps go to a more PvP oriented game then, i would think this game as a whole should honestly be only PVE, i dont believe pvp has a place here and players like you are lucky to have it, again this is only an opinion and not meant to be rude, please dont take me as being as such.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2011
omarfiras1 on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
I have also noticed PVP battles dwindling, I think that many people would like King Isle to fix allot of issues, mostly cheats, many people have become weary of PVP myself included and can not justify spending money on gear and packs for a game that has many loop holes to cheat to get to the top. I was advised a while back that there are people whom have two accounts or use a friends account and place one Wizard in the audience to gain advantage, another Wizard is placed in the audience so they are not only able to see your school before the match starts but every spell that one selects prior to it being casts so that they know how to counter your play... I always know when one is doing this because they always wait until after I have selected my spell until they select theirs... I wish something could be done about this... I am too discouraged and feeling as though I should find another game to spend my hard earned money on that is more fair...

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
i hate pvp now

The only way to make it good is to only use your spell book
no treasure cards, no overpowered gear, no critical, just your regular spells

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
Halimeda on Apr 9, 2016 wrote:
Seconded.

Unfair much?
No gear no pets? That would defeat the purpose of having pets and gear. Many people wear gear for PVP, the only reason why they spend crowns on packs. There are tournaments that have rules on things like no pets, treasure cards, or amulets. If KingIsle made a ranked match on specific things like no gear thats it or no treasure cards match only PVP would only become more unpopular because people aren't really trying to get into the FFA Ranked match we have today.

The lvl 2 death wizard.. Other known as "boosting". Why can't Kingisle just remove the leaderboard because its lying to people.

Devin Skullstone lvl 75 balance wizard
currently having a bad time trying to get Loremaster from Loremaster

Survivor
Feb 18, 2011
DevinSkullStone on Jun 7, 2016 wrote:
No gear no pets? That would defeat the purpose of having pets and gear. Many people wear gear for PVP, the only reason why they spend crowns on packs. There are tournaments that have rules on things like no pets, treasure cards, or amulets. If KingIsle made a ranked match on specific things like no gear thats it or no treasure cards match only PVP would only become more unpopular because people aren't really trying to get into the FFA Ranked match we have today.

The lvl 2 death wizard.. Other known as "boosting". Why can't Kingisle just remove the leaderboard because its lying to people.

Devin Skullstone lvl 75 balance wizard
currently having a bad time trying to get Loremaster from Loremaster
Hi Devin,

I agree, if someone is making it to the top by cheating, they should not be placed in lights and recognized for any accomplishments... In my opinion, the audience should not be able to see your spells until it is cast in the arena, this would eliminate any two account audience card watching, I think people would feel allot better knowing that others earned there recognition honestly.

I hope king Isle can think of something to do about it, but I do agree eliminating gear and pets is not the answer :)

Natalie Goldbright

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Hi everybody!

If you're looking for a good way to balance PVP, the thread on How To Fix PVP should solve the problem of going second!

Survivor
Jun 23, 2010
I feel that team battles aren't that interesting anymore. Setting up your deck for pvp is hard enough. Now you'd have to think of a strategy that best fits your partners. 1v1 is fine by me. Although, if ki increases the ranking after one has won a match in team pvp that would get players interested.