Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Fire the recomended secondary school for Death?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 22, 2016
So, I noticed that by default most Death gear is black and red (instead of black and white) which makes me wonder...

Between Metalops, which gives a boost to both Death and Fire, and the new hoard pack (flaming skulls for the win) and mounts such as the Nightflame Pegasus (which I'm currently riding instead of my usual Swiftshadow Wings) one can't help but wonder...are they silently encouraging Death students to choose Fire as their secondary?

I'm almost tempted to reset my training points and shy away from the Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap in favor of some Fire spells. Watcha think?

Gonna hafta do those quizzes though to get some crowns. Money is tight.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
recommended* pardon me.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 11, 2016 wrote:
So, I noticed that by default most Death gear is black and red (instead of black and white) which makes me wonder...

Between Metalops, which gives a boost to both Death and Fire, and the new hoard pack (flaming skulls for the win) and mounts such as the Nightflame Pegasus (which I'm currently riding instead of my usual Swiftshadow Wings) one can't help but wonder...are they silently encouraging Death students to choose Fire as their secondary?

I'm almost tempted to reset my training points and shy away from the Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap in favor of some Fire spells. Watcha think?

Gonna hafta do those quizzes though to get some crowns. Money is tight.
NO do not train fire as a death, train life and ice. Fire is a horrible secondary school choice since it doesn't have good utility spells and the spells you learn from Falmea are only useful for fire unless you have a mastery even so it would still be useless. If you're planning to do pvp at like grandmaster, it's a decent school to train but life is much more recommended.

Lvl 110
Lvl 40
Lvl 25

Explorer
Dec 12, 2015
Adam Wintersinger on Mar 11, 2016 wrote:
NO do not train fire as a death, train life and ice. Fire is a horrible secondary school choice since it doesn't have good utility spells and the spells you learn from Falmea are only useful for fire unless you have a mastery even so it would still be useless. If you're planning to do pvp at like grandmaster, it's a decent school to train but life is much more recommended.

Lvl 110
Lvl 40
Lvl 25
I agree with Adam, fire is only good with any fire masteries in pvp or for regular fire wizards.

Level 110

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
I agree with Adam Wintersinger, do not make Fire your secondary. Keep your Spirit Blades and Traps. It just isn't worth it in the long run.

Now, as for the reasoning behind the black and red. I personally think it looks sleek, and the colours seem to fit well together.

I think that perhaps some of the reasoning behind the pairing could be that red is usually the colour of blood. There is also a brilliant short story by Edgar Allen Poe, called "The Masque of the Red Death," which may have also had influence. It's a good, quick read, and I will not spoil anything.

There may be other reasons that red and black became a pair for Death clothes, but those are some of my thoughts.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Adam Wintersinger on Mar 11, 2016 wrote:

Lvl 110
Lvl 40
Lvl 25
I see. Hmm. Well, what if we did have Mastery?

Also, why does Metalops give a boost to both Fire and Death? That's a very peculiar Death spell.

And again, that new hoard pack...screams Death and Fire.

Perhaps mechanically Fire isn't the best option, but it still seems like it's being encouraged.

So far I've got Ice up to Tower Shield, Balance up to Weakness (and Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap) and I'm considering whether or not I should get Reshuffle.

I was thinking that maybe I should get Life up to Satyr, just so I can heal others without taking Death damage via Sacrifice. However, I was also thinking of maybe getting Myth up to Earthquake so I can dispel shields.

Too bad there's no way to have both Life and Myth (and Balance?) mastery at once. Perhaps they'll add dual mastery amulets eventually. That'd be cool. People might argue that it's overpowered though.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Seriously, the Road Warrior Hoard Pack is encouraging the combination of Death and Fire, and also Myth and Ice.

I mean, the wands even have Maycast Punklops and Maycast Metalops!

This pack was designed to go with those odd spells. OH!

Now I see why people are calling it the Rock Warrior instead of the Road Warrior! HAHAHA! Clever...

Now I want Rocky Road Icecream. Too bad I'm broke

What if I was a Fire Wizard who chose Death as a Secondary (with Mastery, of course) would that be more practical? It certainly sounds awesome, since a Pyromancer can use spells that put out dots & hots simultaneously, and then with Death's single target drain spells to compliment it?

I was planning to eventually create a Sorcerer after I beat the game with my Necromancer, but actually, I think a Pyromancer is more suited to me after all...

The Pyromancer "Belgrim" doesn't sound all that bad. Morgrim and Belgrim, Death and Fire...

Well, my Necromancer is only 36 right now anyway, so I got plenty of time to contemplate what my next Wizard will be...

Unrelated, but I bought a bunch of Scarecrow treasure cards since Death doesn't really have an AOE early on...I LOVE Scarecrow. So much. Can't wait until I train it. Favorite spell so far.

I talk alot. Hehe.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Then again, combining an Elemental and Spiritual school means I'll need both Elemental and Spiritual blades and traps, thus increasing both the cost of training points for the build and the amount of setup required in combat...

Maybe, for the time being at least, I'll focus on getting Myth up to at least Earthquake and getting me one of them mastery Amulets, either the crown shop ones or the ones you get ingame.

That way my Spirit Blades and Traps can boost the amount of damage I can do with Myth spells in addition to Dark Pact, Feint and Hex.

Hmm...that SEEMS like the best idea right now.

Still, the whole Metalops spell thing just feels like wasted opportunity for anyone who only uses Death and not Fire.

Is there a spell that Mutates Death Spells to do Fire Damage? Also, does a Mutated spell require new mastery? Like, I can still use a spell that was mutated from Death to something else with power pips, right?

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 14, 2016 wrote:
Then again, combining an Elemental and Spiritual school means I'll need both Elemental and Spiritual blades and traps, thus increasing both the cost of training points for the build and the amount of setup required in combat...

Maybe, for the time being at least, I'll focus on getting Myth up to at least Earthquake and getting me one of them mastery Amulets, either the crown shop ones or the ones you get ingame.

That way my Spirit Blades and Traps can boost the amount of damage I can do with Myth spells in addition to Dark Pact, Feint and Hex.

Hmm...that SEEMS like the best idea right now.

Still, the whole Metalops spell thing just feels like wasted opportunity for anyone who only uses Death and not Fire.

Is there a spell that Mutates Death Spells to do Fire Damage? Also, does a Mutated spell require new mastery? Like, I can still use a spell that was mutated from Death to something else with power pips, right?
mutates require mastery to the school they are transformed into so for say transmute fire elf into storm elf it would require storm master or 2 pips to cast it. transmutes keep existing damage but change the school of the spell. Death is best to stick to myth or life for mastery. Myth is a viable choice as death does have its own heal(as long as you remember casting will use any death or universal blades on you). Most death like life for satyr as it doesnt self hit you and will leave blades there. Since you started on myth I would say stick with it and train myth dispels when you have a spare point - comes in very handy in boss fights with myth present to avoid earth back or medusas etc :)

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dizzydiana73 on Mar 15, 2016 wrote:
mutates require mastery to the school they are transformed into so for say transmute fire elf into storm elf it would require storm master or 2 pips to cast it. transmutes keep existing damage but change the school of the spell. Death is best to stick to myth or life for mastery. Myth is a viable choice as death does have its own heal(as long as you remember casting will use any death or universal blades on you). Most death like life for satyr as it doesnt self hit you and will leave blades there. Since you started on myth I would say stick with it and train myth dispels when you have a spare point - comes in very handy in boss fights with myth present to avoid earth back or medusas etc :)
I see, good to know that I'll need Life mastery to use Mutate Banshee effectively.

I actually haven't spent any points towards Myth yet, but I had planned to.
A Mutated Banshee becomes Life (Forsaken Banshee) which does more damage and gives me +30% damage, and I could use the Satyr heal (and that Shield, and the Pixie) very much.

Again, too bad about the lack of Dual Mastery Amulets, as Earthquake would be very useful...

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Myth. I already have heals, but I don't have dispels.

I should prioritise acquiring what I lack over enhancing what I already have...
Oh, and Deadly Minotaur will come in handy.

Is there anyway for a Necromancer to acquire stuns? Other than that Ice spell you get from Loremaster...

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
The closest thing you will see to a Fire/Death combo is Fire with death spells up to feint (cause feint is a pretty good utility and extra shields are always awesome) but as for casting death damage spells its usually in the form of a wand hit.

Speaking of the wand I'm not sure if I'm feeling the may cast since it could ruin any trap set ups if you aren't careful.

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 15, 2016 wrote:
I see, good to know that I'll need Life mastery to use Mutate Banshee effectively.

I actually haven't spent any points towards Myth yet, but I had planned to.
A Mutated Banshee becomes Life (Forsaken Banshee) which does more damage and gives me +30% damage, and I could use the Satyr heal (and that Shield, and the Pixie) very much.

Again, too bad about the lack of Dual Mastery Amulets, as Earthquake would be very useful...

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Myth. I already have heals, but I don't have dispels.

I should prioritise acquiring what I lack over enhancing what I already have...
Oh, and Deadly Minotaur will come in handy.

Is there anyway for a Necromancer to acquire stuns? Other than that Ice spell you get from Loremaster...
The only other way (apart from tcs) for your wizard to gain spells with stuns is through equip cards or possibly a medusa hybrid. There are some packs that drop gear with frost giant around christmas time and some bundle gears have equip medusa. The only thing is of course these spells cannot be enchanted but there are possibilities out there if you really want to pursue them.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
dizzydiana73 on Mar 16, 2016 wrote:
The only other way (apart from tcs) for your wizard to gain spells with stuns is through equip cards or possibly a medusa hybrid. There are some packs that drop gear with frost giant around christmas time and some bundle gears have equip medusa. The only thing is of course these spells cannot be enchanted but there are possibilities out there if you really want to pursue them.
Medusa huh? Leaning towards that. Thanks! Oh, I forgot that stun was a treasure card.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
I ended up going Life. Having Satyr as a backup heal when in a pinch is really just too useful to pass up.

Fairy of course also comes in handy, and as my power pip chance rises more I can basically cast it once every round.

Pixie is useful, although I think I'll be using Mutate Pixie and Mutate Banshee.

I'll acquire Forest Lord at level 100 if only to make battles against multiple Death mobs go faster. Yes, I know about Mass Death Prism but still...

I like that it's an even number spell. A lot of the new spells they added as trainable are "rank 7" (?) and I just don't dig that.

1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc. spells are a pain. I always wait to use them, hoping I can get an ordinary power pip, just so I can avoid that feeling of waste.

As much as I love Scarecrow, I despise it's pip cost of 7.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
I've discovered using Empowerment and then using the pip I gain from Empowerment to use Empower prepares me for any spells with odd number pip costs I may like to use.

No more feeling like I've wasted any resources, and I can use higher level spells sooner.

I've also created a Fire wizard, Belgrim, whose secondary school will be Ice.

Is Empower available as an item card and/or treasure card? Does a Fire wizard have any spells that give pips, or steals pips? I've heard there's an Ice spell that steals pips, and perhaps I could use that instead...

Something about Death and Life, and Fire and Ice, appeals to me greatly, if only in a thematic sense. Two opposite elemental schools combined, and two opposite spiritual schools combined.

I'll find a way to make them work in a strategic sense as well. It may not be the easiest route, but it's the one I'm taking.

I don't know whether I plan to make a Myth wizard with Storm as a secondary school or a Storm wizard with Myth as a secondary school. It's a combination of spiritual and elemental schools, so the balance blades and traps won't help me as much, and Myth and Storm don't seem to have any universal traps or blades, so it's even more unfeasible.

Finding a third name to match Morgrim and Belgrim will be even harder, but I was thinking "Tarlac" would be nice. I may end up making "Tarlac" a Balance wizard...I really do like the theme of Balance.

Hmm...for now, I might stop at two characters. Morgrim and Belgrim will have to suffice. Once I get them both up to 110+ I'll start planning my third. At the moment, Morgrim is just about level 60.

Morgrim will remain my main character no matter what though. Death is MY school, the one that suits me best. The one I get when I "consult the book of secrets" and whatnot.

Still, if you play only one school it ends up getting boring.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Beneficial spells also trigger empowerment.

I used a Satyr on myself to test it. My health was restored and I was given 1 pip. I imagine some of Fire's self sacrificing spells also have this effect? Immolate for instance...

Funny how the two schools I chose both involve self harm...huh.

Survivor
May 01, 2012
I wouldn't recommend any real secondary school for death...
Just put points in and get certain other useful spells...

Such as Ice up to Tower Shield
Get Reshuffle , Spirit Blade , Spirit Trap
Your Astral Spells , Shadow Spells and if you PVP a few of those abilities like Cloak .

I still have 12 unused training points I will probably never do anything with...unless something new and shiny comes around...

Life heals are just about worthless to a Death Wizard past level 30 or so...and only minimally useful before that...when you are hitting for hundreds or thousands and healing half on most all of your hits...saving and using the pips for a Life Heal is a waste of your time and effectiveness in combat...

Angus Thunderpants 110th Death Wizard

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Angus Thunderpants on Apr 9, 2016 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend any real secondary school for death...
Just put points in and get certain other useful spells...

Such as Ice up to Tower Shield
Get Reshuffle , Spirit Blade , Spirit Trap
Your Astral Spells , Shadow Spells and if you PVP a few of those abilities like Cloak .

I still have 12 unused training points I will probably never do anything with...unless something new and shiny comes around...

Life heals are just about worthless to a Death Wizard past level 30 or so...and only minimally useful before that...when you are hitting for hundreds or thousands and healing half on most all of your hits...saving and using the pips for a Life Heal is a waste of your time and effectiveness in combat...

Angus Thunderpants 110th Death Wizard
True, for the most part I've been using Satyr as a safety net, for when my Death spells fizzle or the enemies use too many shields.

It's also been a hassle, because I'll often have 3 to 4 Satyrs in hand and just had to scrap them so I could get to the spells I needed.

After playing with a Death/Life wizard for a few days, I'm convinced what you say is true.

Also, I've been looking over the Ice spells to use in conjunction with Fire, and the only trainable spells I see that might be useful is Frost Giant and Winter Moon and the other stun all/stun one spells.

Maybe I'll shelf the Ice mastery amulet for now and give the Life mastery amulet to my Fire wizard.

I'm definitely not even gonna start on my Fire wizard until I get Morgrim up to 110+ because working on two wizards at once means twice the work.

What Astral Spells do you recommend? I've only been using Empowerment so far.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
So, I tried just using Death spells for a bit.

Without Satyr as a back up heal, I struggled a lot. Since I solo everything, I need that extra security.

Perhaps later on, when my critical rating and attack and piercing start going through the roof, I'll just use it to resurrect dead teammates on the rare occasion that I'm helping someone out.

For now though, I needs me some more heals, cuz' my drains are not strong enough.