Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I start hatching?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 16, 2016
So recently I've been thinking about getting into hatching, I've collected many pet snacks on my adventures and would love to start using them to make the best pet I can make or even just a good healing pet. I don't know much about hatching so I look towards the community for answers.

Tanner ShadowGem - level 24

Defender
Feb 27, 2015
CraftedMS on Mar 5, 2016 wrote:
So recently I've been thinking about getting into hatching, I've collected many pet snacks on my adventures and would love to start using them to make the best pet I can make or even just a good healing pet. I don't know much about hatching so I look towards the community for answers.

Try and hatch with someone who's pet is the same school as your pet. Remember, it has to be an adult or above

Taylor Searider level 43 master thaumaturge

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
CraftedMS on Mar 5, 2016 wrote:

First you need to know that in order for a pet to be hatched, you must have an adult pet. And also hatching costs a lot or a little, depending on how good the pet is. The least I know of is 20,000 gold and the most I know of is 50,000 gold. Maybe it could be less or more than that, but that is just based on my experiences. To hatch, you have to go to the hatchery in Pet Pavillion, find a good pet that you like, and click on the person with that pet. On the list where it says "add to friends," "Teleport," "Trade," and other things, it says "Hatch." You click that option, and if the person accepts the hatch offer, you can hatch a pet. But be aware that you dont always get the other persons pet, you can get the same pet sometimes. But sometimes that pet does catch the other pets abilities.

Heather StarSong lvl 53
Jasmine SpellCaster lvl 23

Survivor
Sep 08, 2015
So first if you don't have a pet buy any pet then, train it to adult. Find a friend or somebody to hatch with btw, you need 40 k gold to hatch. Then train that pet to adult ect. Just try to find pets that have good abilities and hatch with them. Good Luck, Emma Dragon Sword Level 110

Survivor
Jun 21, 2012
There are a lot of things to learn about hatching:
-Abilities
These are the talents your pets will acquire as you train them. The higher the level the more talents they will have. There are so many possibilities your pet could get.
-Mixing
Mixing is when you basically just hatch with another pet. The stats and abilities from each pet will merge and go and make one brand new egg.
-Pedigree
This is the number you see beside the name of your pet. This indicates the rare and value of the talents found within your pet and the number in the apostrophe indicates the talents value your pet has for example 74(43).
-School only pets/Warlord or ranked pets
These are pets that can only be obtained by your school chosen and sometimes the PvP rank you have. For example if there is a dryad pet... this is a Life School ONLY pet, and if you see a pet with a WARLORD symbol, only way to obtain the pet is to achieve the rank or hatch(You will be able to use it)
-Talents
As I explained before up in Abilities. This explain them. A pet ability could be selfish, meaning it would only help your pet, and then a give talent, which will help you in battle. There are resistances, healing, healing boosts, and damage boosts, etc. These come from the abilities coming from your pet.
-Cost/Timers
Sad to say, hatching is quite expensive as well. The better the pets are the more it will cost ranging from 20,000-50,000 gold every hatch, There are also timers you need to deal with. Timers will start once you hatch and you will need to wait for the timer to finish until you can start another hatch.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for the answers guys . For now I may wait until I'm level 48 for a Hydra and hatch with a Satyr that has sprite. If I do it correctly I could get a Reaver with Sprite and some balance talents to help me out in battle.
But for now, do you guys have any recommendations on what balance pet I should train or hatch before I get Hydra?

Tanner ShadowGem - Level 28

Survivor
Sep 08, 2015
I think you should get a Polar Fox. I have one by the way so if you wanna hatch I'm cool. It gives a blade storm, and mine gives pretty good talents. The other pet I'd prescribe is a Sabertooth. Gives a blade and fairly good traits.I also own one but its at teen.

Emma Dragon Sword Level 110