Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you do side quests?

I do the mainline only.
4% [5]
I do the mainline and a few important side quests only.
32% [33]
I do the mainline and some/most of the side quests in each world.
15% [16]
I do all the mainline and side quests that I can.
46% [47]

Feedback Friday 2-19-16

AuthorMessage
Administrator
It's Friday, and that means it's time for a new topic!

Today, we'd like to poll you about your questing habits. Do you tend to stick to completing only the required quests in each world? Or, do you take every quest that you can get your hands on, and have to complete it? Do you tend to do the mainline quests first, and side quests later, or do you do them all at the same time? Please vote in the poll and discuss more below!

Have a happy weekend, Wizards!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Defender
Feb 28, 2013
I do the mainline quests, then once I've finished them, I go back and do the sides.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
First wizard I did all I could get my hands on next 2 wizards I only did main quest to get through the game fast and easy

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
Whenever I see an available quest I always take it even if I don't start it right away. If I want to take a break from the main outline I'll go back and do side quests so I can still level up. Its a great way to get special items and advantages, and level up quickly.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Professor Falmea on Feb 19, 2016 wrote:
It's Friday, and that means it's time for a new topic!

Today, we'd like to poll you about your questing habits. Do you tend to stick to completing only the required quests in each world? Or, do you take every quest that you can get your hands on, and have to complete it? Do you tend to do the mainline quests first, and side quests later, or do you do them all at the same time? Please vote in the poll and discuss more below!

Have a happy weekend, Wizards!

Well when I first begun the game (in wizard city) I accepted all the side quests and even accepted the ones that I couldnt do. (I learned that the hard way) Then in krokotopia I did accept side quests and in marleybone as well. I am now in dragonspyre and I have decided to just stick to the main storyline quests. I do the marleybone side quests when I struggle in dragonspyre though. I now prefer to only do side quests when I finish main storyline quests.

Heather StarSong lvl 48
Jasmine SpellCaster lvl 18
Autumn LifeBlossom lvl 14

Explorer
Jul 17, 2012
For this poll question the answer depends on which wizard. My first and second wizard I did all the quests until the game had the wizards stuck at level 100 or now 110. Then I created new wizards. When Polaris came out then I did the mainline quests with three wizards and gave up on Polaris kind of upon finding out that the final boss was unreasonably difficult. When I created a second account then I did the mainline quests and some of the side quests in order to level up quick. For the last wizards I created I have had them doing most of the quests. A few times I have done a side quest thinking it was a mainline quest. I wish that the mainline quests were a different color from the side quests listed in the book so that it would be easier to identify which is which. Also having a third color for quests that are school specific might be helpful too or maybe make these quests be the color of the school they are for.

Hero
May 02, 2009
For me personally I'll finish the main storyline and some side quests as well, especially those involving a new spell. For the mainline quests, I'll finish them even if I'm already at the level cap since I'll be able to continue on with the storyline right away once it's raised. For the side quests, if I'm already at the level cap then I'll do some/most of them but I won't actually turn them in until the level cap is actually raised once again.

Community Leader
I guess that would depend on if the world just came out. I do all first time, then on all my other wizards I do main and only important. First time run through in test all.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I do every quest on every wizard, no exceptions. I just dont listen to the story beyond the first one.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i chose the last option~ i only have one wizard who does side quests at all, but she does all of them; the others stick to the main arc only.

-von

Explorer
Dec 15, 2009
I collect all quests I come to. I do the main ones first, unless the side quest gives a me spell or something. Then I go back from time to time and do the rest of the side quests at my leisure.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I get all quests as they become available because sometimes side quests have you defeating the same creatures as the main quest as well as other side quests. Sometimes it can be a time saver.

Say for instance if there are quests to defeat any undead to get an artifact, defeat 1 Rotting Fodder for Penny Dreadful, defeat 5 Rotting Fodders for Duncan Grimwater, and defeat Rotting Fodders to get 3 shovels. Why wouldn't you get all of those quests at once so that you don't have to go back and fight more of the same creature you've already fought so many of for something else? In that case, side quests are an easy way to get XP and/or gold and/or drops for doing something you're already doing for the main storyline quest... until it sends you somewhere you might not have otherwise gone.

It doesn't always work out that you can get overlapping defeat quests all at once, but where I can, I do; especially when it comes to Fire Lion Ravagers. I hate Fire Lion Ravager collect quests... I hate 'em, I hate 'em, I hate 'em! Any opportunity I have to limit the amount of frustration caused by low drop chance collecting quests, you can guarantee I'm going to take it.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
I like to accomplish everything in any given neighborhood before moving on.

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
As for me, I voted that I do all of the main quests and side quests that I can, because for me I'm and it's very difficult for me to do the main quests and I heard it's very hard to solo it and it's true. I barley have any friends to help me on the quest or that they are not always online and I always die due to lack of help. is too hard to go solo unlike others schools where it is easy to go solo and you don't need friends so I do the side quests which is much easier and can help me level up more easier so I can finish the actual main quest when I become more powerful. This what I have to say.

-51Alejandro

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
I collect all quests in any area I'm in and check that lovely exclamation mark in the back of my quest book often.

I focus on the mainline quest for movement through the areas, but once the mainline gets to a report/talk quest I go ahead and do all the battle/collect quests till they all say "talk to..." then I go and do all my talking at once.

Any time I need to move from one zone to another I always check the book before I leave to make sure that I don't have anything else to do before I leave and I double check that quest book exclamation mark in case after my reporting something new became available. (That happens a lot actually. Check when I get on - play & report a bit and something new is now available.)

I do it this way for several reasons.
  • I get max xp as I go along so my health is the highest it can be as I get to the mainline battles & dungeons. Sometimes it also means I level into new gear before something tough.
  • I minimize running to and fro (which I find very tedious.)
  • Most of the time any collect and defeat quests that overlap requirements will count for all. So I can clear multiple quests with many fewer mob fights. (which I deeply appreciate. I can't even guess at what kind of xp would need to be added to mob fighting to make it worth it to fight for every collection and every defeat # separately every time.)

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
P.S.
I wish they'd change the way side quests & quest rewards are done.
  • It's so much better when side quests go along with the story. It felt like this was much more the case in AZ & KH. I hope it continues to get more and more integral, so that while a player might be able to skip a side-quest ... if we use LOTR as an example they'd miss the history of Sam's relationship w/ Frodo and how he came to be on the quest at all & the romance between Eowyn and Faramir & the quest reward of a Mithril-chain mail cloak.
  • Quest rewards should be matched to the level of a player that actually plays side quests - as they go along. The stats should be the type & level needed to cope with what's up ahead - but be the right level for a player who's played all quests possible to that point.The worst thing that would happen is someone who rarely plays their sides would do one and get a reward above their level and they'd have to grow into it.
  • I wish the rewards themselves were changed so that mobs dropped the too limited & below level stuff we sell in the Bazaar.
  • And if a gear piece is marked as a quest reward in our books - that it would be something of great use and high value for that level character and for many levels to come - think the LIFE version of the Sword of Kings.I FINALLY got a wand that is more useful when I'm playing healer - at level 100. It was amazing when I was at level and remained best for it's purpose for 40 levels. But almost all quest reward gear (through part 1 of Kh. at least) is disappointing because we can't use it ... or shouldn't.
It's just that when you see and item or pet is a quest reward you get excited and hopeful - and then most of the time it's so disappointing ... and you're off to the Bazaar again.

Quest rewards should be the very best - most broadly useful - non crown - gear, pets & housing items in the game. Like the LIFE version of The Sword of Kings. And matched to the needs of the challenges ahead.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2013
I used to do only mainline, until I realized I was so underleveled.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2015
I will usually do the main quests only, and then do important side quests, like the sun school quests in Zafaria, the gardening shrub quest in Avalon, the Prospector Zeke quests, etc.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
I do all the quests in every world on all my wizards.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2013
I attempt to clear each area completely on each wizard before moving forward to the next world. The only time I compromise on this is when I am running with a designated group with set goals and time frames. Then, I will focus on the mainline and immediately tackle all sides on my own time before our next scheduled session together.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
I started off in Wizard101 blindly and did everything the side quests and main quests had. Now that I have a new account, i'm only going to do the main quests and probably the side quests after I do all the main quests.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
My balance I did all the quests from level 1 to 90 but after that I stopped doing side quests. My other wiz I just did the main quests for the reason being too little time to do other things.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Helenie Nightseer on Feb 20, 2016 wrote:
P.S.
I wish they'd change the way side quests & quest rewards are done.
  • It's so much better when side quests go along with the story. It felt like this was much more the case in AZ & KH. I hope it continues to get more and more integral, so that while a player might be able to skip a side-quest ... if we use LOTR as an example they'd miss the history of Sam's relationship w/ Frodo and how he came to be on the quest at all & the romance between Eowyn and Faramir & the quest reward of a Mithril-chain mail cloak.
  • Quest rewards should be matched to the level of a player that actually plays side quests - as they go along. The stats should be the type & level needed to cope with what's up ahead - but be the right level for a player who's played all quests possible to that point.The worst thing that would happen is someone who rarely plays their sides would do one and get a reward above their level and they'd have to grow into it.
  • I wish the rewards themselves were changed so that mobs dropped the too limited & below level stuff we sell in the Bazaar.
  • And if a gear piece is marked as a quest reward in our books - that it would be something of great use and high value for that level character and for many levels to come - think the LIFE version of the Sword of Kings.I FINALLY got a wand that is more useful when I'm playing healer - at level 100. It was amazing when I was at level and remained best for it's purpose for 40 levels. But almost all quest reward gear (through part 1 of Kh. at least) is disappointing because we can't use it ... or shouldn't.
It's just that when you see and item or pet is a quest reward you get excited and hopeful - and then most of the time it's so disappointing ... and you're off to the Bazaar again.

Quest rewards should be the very best - most broadly useful - non crown - gear, pets & housing items in the game. Like the LIFE version of The Sword of Kings. And matched to the needs of the challenges ahead.
Um, sorry...but crafting rewards should be the very best non-crown gear, even better than Boss Drops, which would make the game much more rewarding for many people who actually bother to craft.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2015
What I do is I go through the mainline quests as far as I can go, then when I reach a boss, dungeon or puzzle that I have trouble with, I do side quests until I feel like I can try again !! A true storm wizard always finds a way!

Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
So far on my balance wizard i have completed absolutely every single quest in the entire game, including all of the side world quests. My O.C.D. forced me to complete all of them.