Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Lvl Up.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 21, 2010
Would the Ki team ever consider implementing a purchasable item that would make a certain wizard max lvl? Don't get me wrong i love wizard101 and i enjoy the game, but after questing to max with 3-4+ wizards it gets kinda tiring. You guys could put something in the game that would lvl a wizard up to max but you would have to pay money or crowns for it. For those who want it, its there and for those who don't, they don't have to buy it.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Starlinr36 on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
Would the Ki team ever consider implementing a purchasable item that would make a certain wizard max lvl? Don't get me wrong i love wizard101 and i enjoy the game, but after questing to max with 3-4+ wizards it gets kinda tiring. You guys could put something in the game that would lvl a wizard up to max but you would have to pay money or crowns for it. For those who want it, its there and for those who don't, they don't have to buy it.
To be honest, it's a nice idea, but I couldn't disagree more. That would totally be unfair and ruin the main purpose of the game. Those people who worked hard leveling up their characters would realize that went to waste. In addition, families that are more wealthy and can afford that would buy it for their children, but those who don't have spare money laying around wouldn't. This would cause more separation, bullying, problems, etc. If you don't like having to level up 3-4+ levels, then don't do it. I have no max characters yet, because I take my time enjoying other parts of the game. I understand some people might need a character for farming, one for crafting, and so on, but you really don't need more than a couple max characters. This is just my opinion, but it bothers me when people have one character specifically for one tiny thing... why don't people think of combining their gardening character with their crafting character? It makes no difference. Like I said though, that's just me, there might be more reasons to it, but going back to what you said, I don't think it's a good idea.
- Gabrielle Silversword 93

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
balancedstar9 on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
this isnt pay to win
Uh yes it is. Does 'Crown Shop' ring any bells?

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Exabytes on Feb 16, 2016 wrote:
The only thing good things in the crown shop are terror hoard pack wands, masteries and jade and they aren't even needed in max lvl pvp so not pay to win in the crown shop aspect. Now about the op's post, this is a horrible idea, it should actually take effort to max a character and not just a random crown shop item. I know many people that aren't very good at this game but spend tons and tons of crowns, with this potion, they could probably max all their characters and still not be good at the game. For example, I was a big noob when I quested through cl on my ice (first wizard) but now I sped through it on my fire because I improved as I kept playing. If this item were to be added, I could see lots more noobs at darkmoor and Rasputin that have no idea how to play the game. I know it's time consuming to max a wizard but that's the point of an MMO and it can take some people several months but it is well worth it. It seems like many people want an easy way out nowadays instead of actually using effort.

Lvl 110
Lvl 77 (will max soon)
Lvl 31
Lvl 25

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
What purpose would this serve? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of even playing the game? Would you automatically get all of the requisite spells as well? It seems to me that defeating 50HP Dark Fairies on Unicorn Way with a lvl 110 wizard would be even more tiring.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
There are many other games that have had the same or a similar idea. I personally don't like it, but frankly it's none of anyone's business but your own if you want to go that route, and when done correctly it's certainly not "pay to win." If anyone will be impacted negatively it will be KI because that can be a pretty bad mark on their reputation.

If the wizard bought at, say, level 100 comes as if all quests and side quests were done but training points weren't distributed and native school spells weren't learned, and there was no gear or pet included, this might be fair because it's still up to the player to find the best strategy/loadout, including having to farm WW/DM/housing gauntlets just like everyone else. I think it would only be fair to not allow the player to go back and do the quests they skipped by buying the wizard at a higher level. Obviously you could still go back and play through dungeons, but they wouldn't earn you any quest xp.

Like I said, not my cup of tea but I believe that it's none of my business to say others can't do this if there are ways to make it so it doesn't give people an advantage in PvP or whatever.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I just don't see how it would be done. Which quests get eliminated? Just storyline, or all side quests as well?

If the side ones get eliminated, how do you get your spells, pets, and other items that are only gained through completing quests? Do you just automatically get them?

What about Astral spells? Training points? Do you just pay and get them all?

What gear do you get? What about crafting and gardening? Badges?

There's much more to questing than just gaining XP to level up. There are plenty of things that you don't just automatically get from advancing level. I certainly wouldn't want to be Level 110 Ice standing in the middle of Polaris with a Starter Deck loaded with 3 Frost Beetles, with no gear, no pet, and no gold.

I'm sure the idea is possible in some way or another, but there certainly are a lot of snags that I think make it an unrealistic proposition.

Trust me, I run 12 wizards. There are a lot of things I wish I could have just skipped, like those irritating Fire Lion Ravagers and their Guide Staffs, or the shark teeth in Celestia, along with many of the other annoying collect quests with ridiculously low drop rates. But simply buying the highest level... why even create the wizard?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i agree with everything high five ghost said, and i'd like to add to his (her?) post:

we all have to do things that we don't want to do. and, trust me, there are plenty of things i would have skipped, given the chance (those dreaded fire lion ravagers; all of mooshu, celestia, and khrysalis)... but we don't just gain xp by actually playing the game. we gain experience, which is a thousand times more valuable.

by that, i mean that we learn what works and what doesn't. we improve ourselves so that everything we found so hard at first can be made a little easier. if this were added, then sure, you'd be level 110 in theory, but you wouldn't learn how to effectively play your school and you'd lack the experience/tools necessary to truly be good at it.

-von "that which does not kill me gives me xp" shadowsong

prodigious
exalted
legendary
magus

Explorer
May 29, 2014
That's a bad idea, We work for the level and then some level 1 pays crowns just to get max level? No way.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
Well, um basically the crown shop is for wants, not needs.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2016
Oh dear goodness.
My fantastically marvelous wizarding friend, I cannot tell you how wrong of an idea that is. I'm sorry. It's just, the point about Wizard101 is that you quest, and gain spells, and complete worlds. Yes, I know some worlds can get a bit tenaciously tedious sometimes, but if you just created a new wizard, bought your Max Level Potion, and became max level, you would be stranded on Wizard City with less-than-agreeable gear and funds, with a rank 1 spell. Thank you.

~NordicMage72

Duncan NightSword (12)
(Forgot the rest)

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
High Five Ghost on Feb 19, 2016 wrote:
I just don't see how it would be done. Which quests get eliminated? Just storyline, or all side quests as well?

If the side ones get eliminated, how do you get your spells, pets, and other items that are only gained through completing quests? Do you just automatically get them?

There's much more to questing than just gaining XP to level up. There are plenty of things that you don't just automatically get from advancing level. I certainly wouldn't want to be Level 110 Ice standing in the middle of Polaris with a Starter Deck loaded with 3 Frost Beetles, with no gear, no pet, and no gold.

I'm sure the idea is possible in some way or another, but there certainly are a lot of snags that I think make it an unrealistic proposition.

Trust me, I run 12 wizards. There are a lot of things I wish I could have just skipped, like those irritating Fire Lion Ravagers and their Guide Staffs, or the shark teeth in Celestia, along with many of the other annoying collect quests with ridiculously low drop rates. But simply buying the highest level... why even create the wizard?
Those are good points, I hadn't thought of those in my post. I think if I were in charge, I would say force them to do the spell quests, in the original order and you can't get the next one until you finish the one before it, just like everyone else, but no quest xp (I think quest xp for that stuff is minimal anyway). Same for school pets. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to not start out with any gear or gold and make people farm for increasingly better gear. That's what everyone else did and I see no reason to change it for a pre-leveled wizard. You're really just paying for a high level, you shouldn't be paying for anything else because then you start getting into some nasty gray areas. I would start out with the number of TP you get from all levels and quests (including Zeke) and then the player is forced to dole them out accordingly. Then you'd at least have decent spells (if you spent your TP wisely) when going to farm. My thinking is just that there should be at least some tradeoff for getting a pre-leveled wizard, and gear farming/pet and spell questing seems pretty reasonable, even a little lenient for my tastes.

As for fishing, gardening, etc., plenty of us were already high levels when those systems came out, so I think it's very fair to start from square one on those, too. Because many side activities have quests, I'd say just don't give xp for those quests either.

I've also spent a LOT of time leveling and the idea of just skipping all the experiences of the game sounds ludicrous to me too, but again- it's still none of my business if others really want to be that lazy lol.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015

Pay to Win, Part 2:

1. Only the Main Quests (that is, only the Quests that are required to advance in the storyline) will be eliminated. The level-specific School Spell quests will remain optional and unfinished, although of course as they are a prerequisite to attaining those higher-rank spells, they will no doubt be completed in short order. NPC quests that give XP / Training Points / Gold / etc. will remain 'unstarted'. That way there will not be pages and pages of unfinished side quests in your Spellbook when you start your Level 110 wizard.

Grey Areas: Grizzleheim / Aquila / Wysteria / Darkmoor. As these worlds are not technically required to advance; but rather fit the role of 'instance worlds', they should not be eliminated from the Quest Queue. Unfortunately that means you will have to do Grizzleheim all over again in order to get to Wintertusk / Halfang and the spells therein, and advance throughout the halls of Darkmoor again to attain your first Shadow Spell, but that is a fair trade.

2. Area-specific (End of Whatever) spells like Helping Hands (End of Krokosphinx) or Steal Charm (End of Wizard City) will be placed in your Spellbook by default. Spells that are level-specific while being easily trained (Mildred Farseer, Floating Land, Mortis in Nightside) will not be placed in your Spellbook by default, due to you requiring knowledge of their locations in order to train them.

3. The only Training Points that you will get will be the ones that you get 'naturally' via leveling up. The TP's that you get via Crafting or from Prospector Zeke / Eloise, you will have to do 'manually'. This is fair; you should put in at least some minimal effort for your Training Points, to make it fair to those that got them the hard way.

4. Crafting and Gardening, logically, start at Rank Zero. As for Pets, there is a Shared Bank for a reason. And the level-specific School Pet quests will also be there for you if you have no pets whatsoever.

Ran out of space again.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015

Pay to Win, Part 3:

5. Gold / Gear / In Game Items: Obviously some work will be required for decent gear. For those of you that have a sufficiently high-level wizard already, a simple solution would be to farm Halfang for decent drops to sell which will then be sent to your new Wizard via the Shared Bank, until said Wizard is powerful enough to farm Halfang himself.

For those of you that do not have a previous wizard, the route that you will take will be a bit harder, though still very achievable. The aim is to grow in power and skill until you reach Halfang in Wintertusk, at which point your gold troubles will vanish.

You will start off in the Ravenwood Dorms, with only the items that you receive by default. As there are quite a few main quests that give gear (Kyuto's Kris of Questions (Mooshu), Sword of Kings (Avalon) ), your burgeoning Level 110 will not be completely left in the dust when it comes to gear. In fact the gear / item tally may even exceed 150, at which I suggest for the excess items to be placed in your Wizard's Bank, which is what happens anyway in the game proper.

The gear that you do not want or need can be quick-sold for additional Gold. If this is not enough, perhaps a 'starter amount' of 10,000 gold would be adequate, or since this is pay-to-win anyway, you could simply buy the Gold you need with Crowns.

You will have no trouble soloing Grizzleheim and even parts of Wintertusk with a Level 35 deck (~2500 gold), Main Quest gear, and a Level 110's health buffer, or you can simply ask for a friend to help you. As you gain experience, you will also find it easier to complete the School Spell quests, which will themselves transition the way forward.

Once you reach Halfang, you will be able buy level-appropriate gear at the Bazaar, OR you can go crafting and get your gear that way. At which point you can farm to your heart's content. (Or realize that you just wasted 60,000 crowns buying a Max Level wizard. Whichever).

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
good luck buying anything that will give you decent stats.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I don't think this is such a bad idea. I too level more than one wizard, should this option only be available if your account already has a max wizard?

Separately, a max level wizard doesn't allow you access to the entire game under this option. KI games tie your characters to quests, so even if you had a max level wizard you would still need to beat Wizard City, Krok, etc. The Crown Shop already offers elixirs that boost your experience rate, I don't see why this option is so "bad". (i.e. this is like a super elixir).

Most of the successful and older MMOs offer this option (EQ, WoW, etc). Why? Because the longer a game is in production the harder it is to get friends caught up with you who are brand new to the game or haven't played in years. Right now in Wizard101 your only options in this scenario are making a brand new level 1 wizard or taking your level 110 wizard through all the quests in the game again (powerleveling) with your friend. (...and there are many threads of players complaining there isn't enough players to play with at lower levels)