Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How important is it for you to go first in battle?

Super important! I would make sure that I go first at all costs.
15% [20]
Pretty important, if I could tip the odds in my favor, I would.
34% [45]
If it happens, great. If not, no worries.
40% [52]
I like to go LAST!
9% [12]

Feedback Friday 1-29-16

AuthorMessage
Hero
May 02, 2009
Professor Falmea on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
Great insights either way. However, my intention with the question was that your TEAM goes first, not second. I wasn't refering to the order you play ON your team (first, second, third, or fourth). Is that clearer?
Yes that is, thank you. I had a feeling that this is what you meant but it's nice to get some clarification though regardless.

As for me it depends on the situation. I don't mind going second necessarily in fights, but being able to go first is always a boon if I am able to do so, especially if it's against tough bosses in PvE.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Altaire Egoy on Jan 29, 2016 wrote:
Hmmm is it just me or i just dont know why should i go first in the battle? Does it have better loot or something?
No it doesn't. There is no trick or gimmick that will increase your odds of getting a certain item drop.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2012
Professor Falmea on Feb 1, 2016 wrote:
Great insights either way. However, my intention with the question was that your TEAM goes first, not second. I wasn't refering to the order you play ON your team (first, second, third, or fourth). Is that clearer?
I still don't understand the question. Is this a trick question? Whether or not someone cares about going first or second, it is undoubtedly advantageous to go first (except in the case of very specific cheating bosses like the Jabberwock). If you are first you have the advantage of knowing what is on the field when your spell plays. If you are second, you are forced to take into consideration how your enemy's turn will change the field before your card plays.

I am assuming that most of the people who responded to this question answered it from a PvE perspective. In PvE there usually isn't an issue with going second because cards are randomly selected, but in PvP it's a very big disadvantage for the player(s) going second. It is a problem that a majority of PvP matches are determined by who the arrow points to first.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
PVE: Hardly matters. Sometimes it is better to go second, in fact (dispels ahead of an out-of-turn cheat at the start of a round, enemy has a penchant for mana burn)

PVP: Going first still confers a massive and unfair advantage, due to the turn-based single-action nature of the game mechanics. If I could go first every match, I would. Even the kids with 2000+ ratings, if given a choice between a sizable advantage and a sizable disadvantage, all other things being equal, would take the advantage.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
I agree with everyone who has said going first in PvP is crucial. I've had plenty of matches that I can easily win from first, but would have easily lost from second. In PvP, when I see that I have second turn, a feeling of added stress consumes me. When I go second, I expect to lose. The opposite occurs when I get first turn- I feel a sense of relief. I expect that I'll win that match. So, there clearly is a huge difference between going first and going second in a PvP match.

In PvE, going first is nice because it generally saves time- you'll have one less turn of enemy attacks. The only time it's particularly helpful to go first in PvE is against difficult cheating bosses, but that's nowhere near as advantageous as going first in a PvP match.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2013
Depending on what wizard I am on and if I am the hitter I do believe you healer and person blading should be in the first two positions your alternate bladder/healer in third place and hitter in last place. For as long as I have been playing I have not seen loot drops any different in any of the four positions therefore doesn't matter where you're at.

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback - and apologies again for the confusion at first... a new, hopefully less confusing topic shall be posted shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea