Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I only face other privates in ranked PvP?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
So I've been playing this game for a long while, and whenever enough time passes, I convince myself to try PvP again. I get resist, I train my pets, and I get some tc to try to have a chance in the arena.

The thing that drives me away and makes me the most frustrated I've ever been is the way I'm never paired against people I have a chance against. I want to face privates who are my own level. Instead, the game pairs me with warlords with 40% to 60% resist who are half my level.

I can spend the whole game shielding, attacking, debuffing, healing and everything there is to it, but it's an impossible feat, and they always finish it off with something like an Efreet tc that does 2000 base damage because of their gear. I currently have 0 wins and 5 losses and I'm on the verge of giving up.

Is there a setting somewhere I can change to only face other players ranked private? Or maybe to filter out users who buy the pay2win gear and cheat through PvP? I want to have a chance in the arena.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2015
Ashley the Wizard on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:
So I've been playing this game for a long while, and whenever enough time passes, I convince myself to try PvP again. I get resist, I train my pets, and I get some tc to try to have a chance in the arena.

The thing that drives me away and makes me the most frustrated I've ever been is the way I'm never paired against people I have a chance against. I want to face privates who are my own level. Instead, the game pairs me with warlords with 40% to 60% resist who are half my level.

I can spend the whole game shielding, attacking, debuffing, healing and everything there is to it, but it's an impossible feat, and they always finish it off with something like an Efreet tc that does 2000 base damage because of their gear. I currently have 0 wins and 5 losses and I'm on the verge of giving up.

Is there a setting somewhere I can change to only face other players ranked private? Or maybe to filter out users who buy the pay2win gear and cheat through PvP? I want to have a chance in the arena.
I'm thinking that your a life, (because of your insignia thingy.)
First of all, what's your level? And you may need crown gear to rank up, or just buy the best things possible from the bazaar. If you don't want to buy the gear with crowns, then you can farm for it.
I could help more if you could tell me your level.

Colin Stormwraith, Level 61

Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
arsenalgooner1966 on Dec 2, 2015 wrote:
I'm thinking that your a life, (because of your insignia thingy.)
First of all, what's your level? And you may need crown gear to rank up, or just buy the best things possible from the bazaar. If you don't want to buy the gear with crowns, then you can farm for it.
I could help more if you could tell me your level.

Colin Stormwraith, Level 61
You're right, I'm life, and I'm level 50. If you could help me that would be wonderful!

But I have to say, I've also tried ranked PvP an enormous amount of times using a Storm wizard with a mix up of waterworks gear and Sidhe gear. I had 25%-ish resist to all schools and 30%-ish resist to Storm because of my pet. I had laughable critical and block, but around 85% damage, almost 3k health, and very high accuracy and power pip rate. I also had the best available Bazaar gear (especially the Bear's Claw of Storm). This was between levels 60 and 80. The exact same thing happened on that wizard, over and over again. Even before level 60 if you count when I had bad gear.

I really just don't want to face the cheaters. I'm looking for a way I can be paired with other privates who don't waste a fortune on unfair advantages only to be rewarded with even bigger unfair advantages via rank and arena tickets. Is there an option or technique or anything involved?? Please?

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
The answer to your question is you don't. Sadly pvp is about luck and gear, and very little actual skill. You have to participate in a system that rewards persistence with arena tickets, which in turn allows you to purchase better gear to eventually win. This system combined with the fact that many players have already fled pvp due to numerous issues not being addressed, leads you to your current predicament. The only way you will ever see a more balanced system is if KI overhauls pvp, making many needed fixes/improvements, and if that overhaul attracts more players to it.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2015
Ashley the Wizard on Dec 4, 2015 wrote:
You're right, I'm life, and I'm level 50. If you could help me that would be wonderful!

But I have to say, I've also tried ranked PvP an enormous amount of times using a Storm wizard with a mix up of waterworks gear and Sidhe gear. I had 25%-ish resist to all schools and 30%-ish resist to Storm because of my pet. I had laughable critical and block, but around 85% damage, almost 3k health, and very high accuracy and power pip rate. I also had the best available Bazaar gear (especially the Bear's Claw of Storm). This was between levels 60 and 80. The exact same thing happened on that wizard, over and over again. Even before level 60 if you count when I had bad gear.

I really just don't want to face the cheaters. I'm looking for a way I can be paired with other privates who don't waste a fortune on unfair advantages only to be rewarded with even bigger unfair advantages via rank and arena tickets. Is there an option or technique or anything involved?? Please?
Well, for Storm, I personally just use the waterworks gear. I could tell you my gear right now and overall stats:
Skyscream set
Bears Claw of Storm
Amethyst Ring of Battle
Life Mastery
Dying Embers Tiki Torch (trying to get jewelcrafter bundle wand)
An ultra carnation pixie that gives 14 damage, 9 resist, and with the ultra pet jewel, about 71 critical.
I use the zafaria grand market deck, bundle of summer storms.

But to be honest, pvp is not at it's best. There is no technique. When I started out with my legendary storm, I fought level 50 warlords, and won with luck. (and insane bolt :P)
If you don't want to pay, you'll have to farm because there isn't any good 50 pvp gear unless it's crowns, or the arena gear. You just have to deal with fighting more experience people. If you want a good example of a level 50 life pvper, watch John Light on youtube.
But if you would be willing to pay, I would get the crowns gear, and try to get a pet with proof, defy, fairy maybe, and possibly some damage.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
Ashley the Wizard on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:

First, calling people that have pvp gear cheaters is not really fair. They have fought for the ability to own that gear just like you can. I can speak from experience that without it, it's definitely not easy at first. You will likely win some, lose some, but won't always face those with full gear. Personally what I did before starting pvp, was made sure I had the best of everything available in place. That means I had whatever gear I could get that was the best for my level, plus pet and of course treasure cards. Some don't like treasure cards in pvp but the truth is, everyone uses them, so unless you do, you are left in the dust. My best friend and soulmate also gave me a tip that has helped immensely as well. He advised me to check the number of players waiting in queue. If less than a certain number, I don't join, just to hopefully get a more fair match. That helped alot. If there's 8 people waiting, chances are you're going to get matched unfairly more often than if there's 25 waiting. By no means is that perfect, just increases your odds, and has seemed to help. Another thing I have done is to actually go watch random pvp matches regularly. If a lvl 10 is fighting a lvl 35, I want to see what they do that has made that match-up happen. Usually they have a quick kill strategy. I take tips from other people to incorporate into my own strategies on different wizards. PVP is very imperfect the way it's been set up, but it is what it is. Unfortunately many have stopped playing because of this, which I'm sure also contributes to more "unfair" matching.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
Sea Witch on Dec 9, 2015 wrote:
First, calling people that have pvp gear cheaters is not really fair. They have fought for the ability to own that gear just like you can. I can speak from experience that without it, it's definitely not easy at first. You will likely win some, lose some, but won't always face those with full gear. Personally what I did before starting pvp, was made sure I had the best of everything available in place. That means I had whatever gear I could get that was the best for my level, plus pet and of course treasure cards. Some don't like treasure cards in pvp but the truth is, everyone uses them, so unless you do, you are left in the dust. My best friend and soulmate also gave me a tip that has helped immensely as well. He advised me to check the number of players waiting in queue. If less than a certain number, I don't join, just to hopefully get a more fair match. That helped alot. If there's 8 people waiting, chances are you're going to get matched unfairly more often than if there's 25 waiting. By no means is that perfect, just increases your odds, and has seemed to help. Another thing I have done is to actually go watch random pvp matches regularly. If a lvl 10 is fighting a lvl 35, I want to see what they do that has made that match-up happen. Usually they have a quick kill strategy. I take tips from other people to incorporate into my own strategies on different wizards. PVP is very imperfect the way it's been set up, but it is what it is. Unfortunately many have stopped playing because of this, which I'm sure also contributes to more "unfair" matching.
It's entirely fair to call those people cheaters. They pay money to Kingsisle and they are rewarded with unfair advantages that allow them to defeat helpless players twice their level. The wins then give them tickets which allow them to buy even more unfair advantages.

It's nearly impossible to kill a half-decent pay2win player with 50% resist and insane damage boosting stats, and it's frustrating when these low level cheaters have stats that are impossible to obtain at your level even with the best gear. They can easily pull off combos you could only dream of and take out your entire health in a couple rounds, while a fully bladed hit by you only does 600 to 700 damage if you're lucky. It needs to stop.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2010
Ashley the Wizard on Dec 11, 2015 wrote:
It's entirely fair to call those people cheaters. They pay money to Kingsisle and they are rewarded with unfair advantages that allow them to defeat helpless players twice their level. The wins then give them tickets which allow them to buy even more unfair advantages.

It's nearly impossible to kill a half-decent pay2win player with 50% resist and insane damage boosting stats, and it's frustrating when these low level cheaters have stats that are impossible to obtain at your level even with the best gear. They can easily pull off combos you could only dream of and take out your entire health in a couple rounds, while a fully bladed hit by you only does 600 to 700 damage if you're lucky. It needs to stop.
I am trying to help you, so please put your preconceived notions aside and try to understand what I am saying, as I will try to clarify it further. No one in this game can "pay money to Kingsisle and they are rewarded with unfair advantages" when you are referring specifically to people that own and use pvp commander gear, which is the resist equipment you are talking about. PVP commander gear can ONLY be purchased by arena tickets, which you get from ranked pvp or tournaments. It's not available to an average private, which means on top of needing the price in arena tickets, you also have to have the corresponding rank. That means you need to be commander in order to buy it. Commander, if you aren't aware, is a rank of 800. These people (that you mistakenly call cheaters) have put themselves into the arena time and time again to get the rank they need to be able to buy that gear, plus have to have fought enough times to have the tickets for it. And believe me, they have faced the same situations that you are complaining about and dislike it as much as you. But that is in no way cheating. That's putting in the time to fight match after match, not giving up, until you get to the proper rank. They didn't start with that gear, they started with the same gear available to you or their corresponding level. Another thing you may not realize about pvp gear is that there is no health on the commander or veteran equipment. So those people are sacrificing health for more resist. Like anything else in the game, it's whatever you choose your style of gameplay to be. I pvp on a regular basis and can tell you from experience that it is entirely possible to beat someone half your level that is wearing that gear. You just have to develop a strategy that works for you. And if you keep losing, maybe it's time to change that strategy, which is why I suggested watching other people pvp and get some tips from them that you can incorporate. I wish you well in your future matches.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
Sea Witch on Dec 11, 2015 wrote:
I am trying to help you, so please put your preconceived notions aside and try to understand what I am saying, as I will try to clarify it further. No one in this game can "pay money to Kingsisle and they are rewarded with unfair advantages" when you are referring specifically to people that own and use pvp commander gear, which is the resist equipment you are talking about. PVP commander gear can ONLY be purchased by arena tickets, which you get from ranked pvp or tournaments. It's not available to an average private, which means on top of needing the price in arena tickets, you also have to have the corresponding rank. That means you need to be commander in order to buy it. Commander, if you aren't aware, is a rank of 800. These people (that you mistakenly call cheaters) have put themselves into the arena time and time again to get the rank they need to be able to buy that gear, plus have to have fought enough times to have the tickets for it. And believe me, they have faced the same situations that you are complaining about and dislike it as much as you. But that is in no way cheating. That's putting in the time to fight match after match, not giving up, until you get to the proper rank. They didn't start with that gear, they started with the same gear available to you or their corresponding level. Another thing you may not realize about pvp gear is that there is no health on the commander or veteran equipment. So those people are sacrificing health for more resist. Like anything else in the game, it's whatever you choose your style of gameplay to be. I pvp on a regular basis and can tell you from experience that it is entirely possible to beat someone half your level that is wearing that gear. You just have to develop a strategy that works for you. And if you keep losing, maybe it's time to change that strategy, which is why I suggested watching other people pvp and get some tips from them that you can incorporate. I wish you well in your future matches.
I understand you see it differently, but I think we have to agree to disagree. PvP gear is higher rank only, but in my opinion, the only reliable way to get to that rank is to buy expensive crowns gear to start out. That's what I mean when I say pay2win.

And all I really want is to not face those players, whether or not you consider them as cheaters.