Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to Use Tempest Efficiently?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 27, 2014
Hello! My friends and I are all Storm wizards, and we have all been hyped for Tempest because people have been telling us how overpowered it is in lower levels. I was the first to get it out of my group of friends so I was even more pumped. Put some copies into my deck then went into a battle for testing. At that moment, all my hype changed to disappointment. With a lot of traps that took way too long to setup I did about a whopping 500 damage. Meanwhile, in PvP, I get hit 2000 first turn by Tempest. So I still have a little hope that I can figure out a way to boost this spell up at the low level of 28 I currently am. So to all you experienced wizards, how do I use Tempest most effectively at level 28?

Survivor
Dec 13, 2012
I do not remember how well it worked for me at level 28, but I know that as I leveled and got stronger, so did my tempest. Because it is pip based, having lots and lots of pips makes it stronger. Gold pips help quite a bit, as do traps and blades, and eventually the enchants for blades and traps will come in handy for adding more. I am exalted now, and still use it in most of my regular, non boss fights, and have even managed to hit for well over a million hit points! Don't get discouraged! Give it time, and play around with different blade and traps combos. Trust me, you will see results!

Explorer
Sep 15, 2012
The reason that high level storms have such success with this spell aside from probably having full power pips, is the enchantments, enhanced blades, stacking traps and area and aura. So if you want your tempest to hit hard you have to support it with more than just simple blades and traps. If you get treasure card: feint trap, Colossal enchantment, galvanic field, maybe area storm and support it with elemental blades, storm traps, storm blades and balance blades and hit at full pip even at your level you might be surprised at the damage you are able to do. I understand you won't have the stat increases that an exalted gets from their equipment bonuses but even so give it a try. You should be able to get many of these treasure cards from the bazaar. Good Luck

Hero
May 07, 2015
Tyguy2464 on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:
Hello! My friends and I are all Storm wizards, and we have all been hyped for Tempest because people have been telling us how overpowered it is in lower levels. I was the first to get it out of my group of friends so I was even more pumped. Put some copies into my deck then went into a battle for testing. At that moment, all my hype changed to disappointment. With a lot of traps that took way too long to setup I did about a whopping 500 damage. Meanwhile, in PvP, I get hit 2000 first turn by Tempest. So I still have a little hope that I can figure out a way to boost this spell up at the low level of 28 I currently am. So to all you experienced wizards, how do I use Tempest most effectively at level 28?
storm blades use those if you have the spell :)

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Tyguy2464 on Nov 30, 2015 wrote:
As someone else pointed out...Tempest is pip based. So you want as many power [or yellow or gold if you as some refer to them] pips as possible. I geared my storm wizard from start to finish for as much added power pips chance, accuracy and resistance to my opponents strikes, as possible. On my storm once I got past a certain point..I never quested alone. Why? Well, to use a favorite misquote. "phenomenal cosmic powers! itty bitty health bar"

So basically gear for the power pips and accuracy. Plus the mistake a lot of people make is to carry as many different cards as possible in their decks. Create multiple decks. Create one for doing strictly street mobs or mobs. Carry a couple blades, a couple traps and windstorms and your tempests only. Okay and maybe a pixie or two just to be safe. :) Carry another one for fighting bosses. You'll carry a different mix in that deck. And then carry a deck just for fighting your own school be it bosses or mobs full of nothing but storm bad guys. You can go into and modify that one to carry less stuff with prisms if it's a storm mob. or more stuff including single enemy attacks if it's an actual storm boss. I do variations on all these decks for all my characters. It means I don't have to adjust decks. I've got at least 4-5 decks that I use on each of my characters. On one of my max level characters I've got...9 decks I use I think. I've got one just for running the darkmoor dungeons for my 3 max levels, that I modify, adding or subtracting cards on the fly, between the various bosses in darkmoor.

Good luck

Survivor
May 27, 2014
Thanks for all your help guys, but now I ran into a different problem. I have found myself hitting a good 1000+ damage sometimes, but now my biggest problem is not being able to set everything up before the opposition set up shields that protect them from my Tempest. So basically I can hit some decent damage, but now I can't get everything setup fast enough.

Also, you guys are speaking about how some equitable items can help me out. What would be the best stat armor for level 33?

Survivor
Dec 13, 2012
To be honest, I got lucky and wound up with a dropped level 25 Angelic helm and Striders of the verge (I am not sure where though, maybe somewhere in Marleybone?) and I bought the Infernal Drape from the crown shop. They worked pretty good for me until I hit 35, then I'm pretty sure I went all crown shop. I also go for a wand that has a strike of a different school. It helps to knock off many shields they use that can cause you problems and those pesky minus blades. I wish I could be more helpful, but it was so long ago, I don't completely remember how my wizzy was set up.

I had my own question though for Curly Wolf though about setting up multiple decks. I am level 110 finally and I have been wanting to play around with multiple decks. What decks do you like for which set up (boss, basic, same school, etc.) and how do like setting them up? Do you always fill the entire deck, or do you leave empty spots?

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Stormy Skies on Dec 3, 2015 wrote:
To be honest, I got lucky and wound up with a dropped level 25 Angelic helm and Striders of the verge (I am not sure where though, maybe somewhere in Marleybone?) and I bought the Infernal Drape from the crown shop. They worked pretty good for me until I hit 35, then I'm pretty sure I went all crown shop. I also go for a wand that has a strike of a different school. It helps to knock off many shields they use that can cause you problems and those pesky minus blades. I wish I could be more helpful, but it was so long ago, I don't completely remember how my wizzy was set up.

I had my own question though for Curly Wolf though about setting up multiple decks. I am level 110 finally and I have been wanting to play around with multiple decks. What decks do you like for which set up (boss, basic, same school, etc.) and how do like setting them up? Do you always fill the entire deck, or do you leave empty spots?
LOL I'm a couple levels behind on my 3 max levels. 105 or 106 on all 3. As for setting up the multiple decks. I have two...what I call main decks. One is labeled small deck, in my back pack. all thats on there card wise is a pair of squall bugs, pair of tempest, uhmm 3 regular storm blades, 3 sharpen enchantments, 1 or 2 triple elemental blades, and a pair of reshuffles.Oh and colossals of course. And with the new system that lets us mark out the extra cards we don't wanna use that comes with equipment or pets..I've marked out most of the extras so they don't show in the deck. makes for much faster turn around and hits. It's by and large what I do a lot of my cleaning up of old side quests, and mob fights with. Then theres the Tank Deck. same basic set up. just a few more cards added. healing current. stun block and one or two of my big attack cards like the owl. for running bosses. oh and windstorm.

I have various jewels in each of them the tank deck is the duplicitous squire deck. it's got a storm crit block jewel in it.. Small deck is the lightning riders deck. no jewel in that one.

I have two "boss" decks. for those fights against other storms. One is set up with a mix of storm shields, bugs, single prisms, tempests, Owl siren, blades and tri blades, sharpens, colossals and currents. That's for actual boss fights where the bosses are storm you only need the regular prisms for those fights. My other "boss deck" is set up like my small deck, except with mass prisms. That is set up for mobs that are storms. I've got one set up for running the Aquila dungeons. That one the card set up changes depending on whether I'm helping a friend run olympus, atlantea, that bloody squid in atlantea or hades. I have another one set up just for running Darkmoor. Again as I stated in my original post...the card set up for the Darkmoor Deck depends on which boss in which level of dark moor I'm fighting in.
As for jewels in those decks? None. I use jewels mostly in rings and athames