Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A New Type of Pip (3)

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 13, 2011
There should be a new type of pip just like a power pip. A white pip counts of 1, a power pip counts of 2, this new pip should count as 3. Once you get more than 100% chance of gaining a power pip, you should be able to gain this new type of pip. For example: if you have 108% power pip chance, you have an 8% chance of gaining a one of these new pips, counting as 3.

With this new pip, mastery amulets count for it.

This would also fix the problem with annoying odd pip spells. if you have 2 power pips, and a 3 pip spell, it uses the 2 power pips. If this was added, it would fix the problem. Sometimes, you have a 7 pip spell and 4 power pips, one of the pips gets wasted. If you have the new type of pip, counting as 3 pips, you can use the rank 7 spell with 2 power pips and the new type of pip.

Please keep this in mind for adding in future updates. Everyone in the game will love it and enjoy the game and a whole new level.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
I love this idea! Thing is, the power pip chance on gear will need to be lots higher if you want to get these pips. The highest pip chance i've seen on a player so far was 106%. Besides the fact of the gear needing to be updated, this idea is awesome! I was also thinking the pip could be a green color of sorts.

Savannah DuskShard110

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
There is already a third kind of a pip. Shadow pip

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
first of all you making up an issue where none exist. casting a 3 pip spell when you have to power pips is your call as is your call to wait for if you get a white pip.

2nd what you suggest would be bad for game balance. I know I don't wanna see storms doing owl first or seond round of a 1v1.

Survivor
May 06, 2011
I think it would make storm wizards over powered and throw off the game balence, so I agree with her. Great idea though!

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Chiaki Minami on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
first of all you making up an issue where none exist. casting a 3 pip spell when you have to power pips is your call as is your call to wait for if you get a white pip.

2nd what you suggest would be bad for game balance. I know I don't wanna see storms doing owl first or seond round of a 1v1.
Firstly, they'd need more than 100% power pip chance before they even get a 1% chance of a triple pip; unlikely that diviners will trade away their acc, damage & critical boosts to muster 200% power pip chance. Even if they did; they'd almost definitely fizzle and wouldn't damage much anyway.

Second, you say 'game balance', when you mean 'but PvP & I don't wanna'. As a PvE player, I personally don't like it when the PvP community comes out against an idea, because it normally nerfs the idea and PvE gets stuck.

But I do agree that it's your own call when you use 2 power pips on a 3 pip spell, even if there's been times I've hoped KI would make it leave a half-power pip. Sadly, it doesn't.

Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
this is a great idea but it should be restricted in PvP some way

Explorer
Dec 09, 2011
Not sure about this idea.

Soon this idea will get to bosses and/or creatures.

Remember that khrysalis bosses got shadow pip (Not a lot but still). And then Polaris got mostly bosses that can use shadow pip.

So the idea of a 3 pip might be to risky.

If this would happen future storm bosses will be able to use storm owl more times then expected. That's a ton of health to lose.

And also myth bosses will use earthquake more then expected also.

And life bosses could heal more as well.

Its interesting but I think it could be very risky.

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
Chiaki Minami on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:

You can easily use a tower shield or volcanic shield to counter a storm owl. If they had 10 pips the first round, that would be extremely rare and they would have to be going last.

For many people in general, many of you do not like adding new elements into the PvP system. When a new element is added in the PvP system, you may or may not have trouble countering it. You can always take advantage or use the new element. There are disadvantages and advantages of everything new added.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
I think there should be two new types of pips, similar to your idea, but a bit different. Already we have:

Basic Pips: the units necessary for casting any spell of rank above 0

Power Pips: similar to the basic Pip, except they count as 2 Pips to spells of your own school (yet no other)

And Shadow Pips: units necessary for casting Shadow spells or Shadow-Enhanced spells

My idea would be that they later on include 2 new types of pips to the higher level wizards. They are:

Poly Pips: these are Pips similar to the Power Pip, except they count as two Pips to all schools (except Shadow)

And Nova Pips: Nova Pips allow you to cast any spell of your school and only use the Nova Pip. Meaning that if you were a fire wizard and had one Nova Pip, yet no other Pips, you could still cast your Fire Dragon spell, but you would not be able to cast a spell of any school except fire unless it was rank 0 or 1 (thus treating the Nova Pip as an ordinary Pip). With X rank spells, Nova Pips count as 10 Pips and use the rest of your Pips along with it still.

Poly Pips, upon their earliest use, are about as common as a level 20 player getting a Power Pip. Nova Pips are exceptionally rare upon their first arrival, and you may go through the entire world you first got them without seeing more than 3 or 4 in a duel.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
This can only happen if Armor Pierce Block is added as a stat, and Bolstered Ward becomes trainable. Otherwise PVP will be completely lopsided in Fires' and Storms' favor. Period.

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
kanko on Jan 10, 2016 wrote:
I think there should be two new types of pips, similar to your idea, but a bit different. Already we have:

Basic Pips: the units necessary for casting any spell of rank above 0

Power Pips: similar to the basic Pip, except they count as 2 Pips to spells of your own school (yet no other)

And Shadow Pips: units necessary for casting Shadow spells or Shadow-Enhanced spells

My idea would be that they later on include 2 new types of pips to the higher level wizards. They are:

Poly Pips: these are Pips similar to the Power Pip, except they count as two Pips to all schools (except Shadow)

And Nova Pips: Nova Pips allow you to cast any spell of your school and only use the Nova Pip. Meaning that if you were a fire wizard and had one Nova Pip, yet no other Pips, you could still cast your Fire Dragon spell, but you would not be able to cast a spell of any school except fire unless it was rank 0 or 1 (thus treating the Nova Pip as an ordinary Pip). With X rank spells, Nova Pips count as 10 Pips and use the rest of your Pips along with it still.

Poly Pips, upon their earliest use, are about as common as a level 20 player getting a Power Pip. Nova Pips are exceptionally rare upon their first arrival, and you may go through the entire world you first got them without seeing more than 3 or 4 in a duel.
I love your poly pip idea! Sounds great for the future.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Here we go with the whole "wasted pip" argument again. There are no wasted pips! A pip is one pip... whether it's a normal pip (value = 1) or a power pip (value=2 when used for spells of your own school). Casting a 5 pip spell using 3 power pips is not wasting a pip, it's merely getting more value out of 3 pips.
If a new pip counting for "3" were to be introduced the arguments would become even more vehement because the same people would then think they're wasting even more pips. There is no "problem" regarding wasted pips - the problem is a lack of understanding power pips and how they work.