Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about my secondary school.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 24, 2014
So im currently fire and i cant decide on what secondary too take. I have been reading a lot of older posts and they all say go death to faint and that really makes no sense to me as a lot of fire spells go for 3+ rounds and feint seems useless. I dont have issues with healing so i dont want to go life either. Any suggestions would be great

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
jschaible12 on Nov 26, 2015 wrote:
So im currently fire and i cant decide on what secondary too take. I have been reading a lot of older posts and they all say go death to faint and that really makes no sense to me as a lot of fire spells go for 3+ rounds and feint seems useless. I dont have issues with healing so i dont want to go life either. Any suggestions would be great
Well in the future you wont be relying on Dots as much and use more single hit spells like Efreet and Fire from Above.

"Secondary Schools" are weak and really you should only be going to them for UTILITY REASONS.

As like every other person go
Death to feint (it's not useless)
ice to tower (optional)
Life to satyr (trust me you will need a stronger heal later)
Pick up tri elemental blades and tri elemental traps from Niles

Then once your onto Astral spells get the following
Sun: "Fist" Line, Potent, and Sharpen Blade
Moon: NOTHING STAY WAY FROM THE MOON SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! ERASE IT FROM YOUR MEMORY AND DON'T LEARN A SINGLE MOON SPELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Star: Your level 84 school aura (furnace for fire) from Three Points.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2012
my back up school is storm and I am myth storm is the most powerful school in the game so I recommend that

Mariah sparklegem
myth and storm
lvl 19

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
Although most fire spells are over time there is still a case to train up to feint for death, fire dragon, efreet are just some fire spells that make good use of feints. The fire equivelent of feint backdraft is not as great as it might appear you need 7 pips to invest in backdraft to what feint for 1 pip would be, back draft will not stack with tc or potent versions either so keep that in mind. As for life it may be worth training just to sprite even link and power link are nice but are not always an effective way to heal yourself as you lose any blades etc that might of been better to use with a higher hit.Sprite only costing one pip wont require you to need a mastery amulet to use either. There may be an arguement to training to tower shield from the ice school especially since fire like storm fizzles allot and has low health hence can buy you a few rounds.Other schools dont have much to offer fire so I would not look to them. I hope this helps you somewhat in deciding where you may want to get spells.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2015
Feint will be extremely valuable later in the game. Fire has plenty of dot attacks but they also have single target spells like helephant and phoenix. You will want feint for boss later on when you have to solo. It's nearly mandatory in my opinion. A 70% damage boost for 1 or 2 pips is amazing, the draw back self trap isn't that harmful, and you will eventually feel very limited in the amount of damage you can stack up to hit without feint.

Putting point into ice up to tower shield is also a good suggestion.It doesn't take too many point to get there and tower shield is really good. It costs no pips and it takes 50% damage off of any incoming attack no matter what the damage type. Tower shield is also extremely useful later on in the game when you are taking big hits as you set up your blades and wait on pips to cast big spells. As a benefit glacial shield can be useful and you can potentially use a 1 pip beetle ice spell to remove ice wards from things you need to prism. I've had to do this with death fairy spell as a life wizard fighting life creatures.

Going death up to feint and ice up to tower shield is something a lot of players do. Some also put point into life up to satyr because it's a good healing spell and eventually you are taking hits big enough that fairy isn't as useful. However without a life amulet it can be very inefficient to use satyr in combat as you might waste valuable power pips. I won't recommend investing in life but it can be useful/important.. You can often get by with just using wisps and sometimes potions if you need to heal. I just play my life wizard so I guess I have limited insight on how the damage orientated school view life investment.

Of course you should obviously use one point at lvl 25 to pick up elemental blades in krokatopia from the balance tree. That is mandatory. After getting tower shield and feint on my life I had just enough points to comfortably invest in sun spells when I got to celestia.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2012
as a fire myself my secondary I chose life and the reason I did this was becxause I mostly quest alone obviously there were spots in the game where I did need assistance but as a secondary lifer I didn't need to find to many people plus I had a healing pet that helped also with reference to what ya said about feint well its useless if ya cast fire elf and that healing spell we have I forget the name of it at this moment but its the spe3ll that heals you and does damage to the enemy at the same time... other wise its not useless because our dot spells the initial hit is the heavy hitting blow the pets I have give feint as a card or you could also just backdraft but if you are infact against life as a secondery let me atleast suggest train life to spritely train ice to tower then save the rest for the astral schools really all depends on your fighting style but what I gave is a pretty broad fighting style type of answer hope I helped and good luck with not criticaling or blocking

yours truly

liam stormbrand

exalted transcendant and noob representing : TEAM BRING IT

Survivor
Dec 24, 2014
Thank you everyone for your responses! Time to go spend some training points

Delver
May 12, 2012
A pixie won't do it for long. You'll need stronger heals later on, really. I recommend life. I'm a myth and secondary life and it has worked well for me. I'm now level 81. I have a life master amulet which allows me to use my power pips for life. It has really helped me actually, so satyr doesn't take 8 pips, only 4.

When soloing, you will want that chance to heal on a cheating boss. Also, when I got centaur, because I was not too high of a level it helped me. Life is just a good school to begin with. The heals are easy to use. I have a fire that is level 28 and they trained life. It works great! You can train satyr at level 26. They solo lots and need that heal sometimes. Good luck.
~ Ali
Secondary

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
mariah sparklegem on Nov 27, 2015 wrote:
my back up school is storm and I am myth storm is the most powerful school in the game so I recommend that

Mariah sparklegem
myth and storm
lvl 19
Mariah buyback your training points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough that storm is an AWFUL secondary school, you should only spend training points if they would get you to a utility spell, NOT FOR ATTACKS!!!!!

Storm is powerful PRIMARY school, not secondary (then again nothing but life is good for secondary, but even still your only going life to satyr) buy back your points before it is really expensive!!!!!!!!!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Well as fire you have access to two sun school mutation spells. Fire Kraken and Fire Wyvern. It is true anyone can learn these spells from the sun hidden sun school trainer in Celestia. However, a Fire mage will be able to cast these mutations using power pips! This does require you to train storm up to kraken and ice up to wyvern.

You should keep in mind that to cast mutation spells you have to have the original spell and the mutation spell in your hand at the same time, you cannot buff the mutated spell with other sun spells like colossal, you will be rather high level before you can even learn the mutations, and the mutated spell will have the same accuracy as the original spell (fire kraken only has 70% accuracy because it was a storm spell)
On the plus side: The mutated spells deal more damage than the originals and often have additional effects.
Remember sun school spells turn the original spell into a temporary treasure card that lasts the whole battle. All treasure cards shuffle themselves back into your deck each time they fizzle.
Of course your fire equipment, auras, bubbles, blades, and traps will boost the mutated spell's power.
When my Death wizard was casting Death Minotaur every battle people began to notice, I was complemented several times for having the spell.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2012
Rachel Dreamsong on Nov 29, 2015 wrote:
Mariah buyback your training points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough that storm is an AWFUL secondary school, you should only spend training points if they would get you to a utility spell, NOT FOR ATTACKS!!!!!

Storm is powerful PRIMARY school, not secondary (then again nothing but life is good for secondary, but even still your only going life to satyr) buy back your points before it is really expensive!!!!!!!!!
I don't really think its your choice for what I do storm is really powerful

Mariah sparklegem
lvl 21
myth and strom

Survivor
Feb 19, 2014
mariah sparklegem on Dec 2, 2015 wrote:
I don't really think its your choice for what I do storm is really powerful

Mariah sparklegem
lvl 21
myth and strom
Mariah, please at least consider what Rachel has said. I know storm seems extremely powerful right now as you are a level 21, I thought so too, I continued to stress the same thing until I hit level 50. After i reached level 50, I began to realize that I could not train storm any higher than level 42 and my newer spells for my primary school began to become much more powerful than any of the spells I trained for storm.

Not only that, but gear for you school will be giving damage stat boosts to your primary school instead of storm further increasing the power gap. Trust me, it may seem like a good idea to have storm as secondary right now, but then you will realize eventually you wish you would have trained tower shield or feint instead.

No power away from storm wizards though. Storm is a beast as a primary school cause you will be able to train the higher level storm spells and have damage stat boosts for storm.

I am not trying to tell you what you must do, I am just saying please consider what I have mentioned, as training point buy backs only get more expensive the higher the level you are.

Julia Goldsmith level 110 and level 110 and level 51

Explorer
Dec 25, 2009
Learn Reshuffle! It resets your deck so you can keep fighting. Or if you are like me and keep like 5 cards for fighting mobs and want to make sure that if you happen to not kill them, you have a second try.

Delver
May 12, 2012
Juligoldy on Dec 2, 2015 wrote:
Mariah, please at least consider what Rachel has said. I know storm seems extremely powerful right now as you are a level 21, I thought so too, I continued to stress the same thing until I hit level 50. After i reached level 50, I began to realize that I could not train storm any higher than level 42 and my newer spells for my primary school began to become much more powerful than any of the spells I trained for storm.

Not only that, but gear for you school will be giving damage stat boosts to your primary school instead of storm further increasing the power gap. Trust me, it may seem like a good idea to have storm as secondary right now, but then you will realize eventually you wish you would have trained tower shield or feint instead.

No power away from storm wizards though. Storm is a beast as a primary school cause you will be able to train the higher level storm spells and have damage stat boosts for storm.

I am not trying to tell you what you must do, I am just saying please consider what I have mentioned, as training point buy backs only get more expensive the higher the level you are.

Julia Goldsmith level 110 and level 110 and level 51
Let her go with it.

If she makes a secondary character, she might think differently.