Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm no mathematician, but...

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 21, 2014
I think I got the way the new critical system works aswell as the critical block. I would suppose that the system would make you critical 30% of the time (if you have 30 critical boost) and the same thing with the block. Which is faulty because that would make you critical 30% of the time in each battle, and viceversa with the critical block; and this is not happening. This would make the critical boost and the critical block boost affect in NOTHING but the chance of the person criticaling/blocking per battle.

Therefore if this is correct, you would have to critical in the entire fight atleast ONCE. Something that, again, is not happening.

But if that's not the case... Then how does the system work? If kingisle wants us to understand the critical system as much as we can, then why don't they just release the calculation method? much easier for the players understandment in my eyes.

Being honest, I think the system that i just portrayed is very underwhelming, because if it's calculating the chance PER BATTLE, then the chance of criticaling would be extremely lowered.

On the other hand, if it's using a method of calculation where EACH SPELL has a 30 out of 100 chances of criticaling (in the case of you having 30 critical boosts points), then this would flip the pancake in terms of calculation and faultness.

Using this method, the system would generate 100 results, which i will reffer from now on as "peks", where 30 of them would result in critical, and the other 70 resulting in normal damage (these numbers would vary depending on the amount of critical boost). The system, after generating the peks, would randomize the chosing system where it's out of pure luck if you critical or not (by that i mean that the system would just choose one pek at random and if that one produces critical, you critical, and if it doesn't, you don't critical.) having more critical boost points would augmentate the number of peks that would produce critical.

Now when it comes to the block, then the same formula would take place. You critical, but the enemy has 15 critical block: so the system would generate 100 more peks with, let's say, 15 of them blocking the critical, it choses at random one pek and if it's meant to block, then you block. Using this system, the idea of critical and critical block happening out of pure luck would take a stronger note here; because it would literally be out of pure luck.

So if this is the new system, that would explain our decrease in criticals because now instead of criticaling 89% of the time, you would now critical 20 out of 100 chances. If it's the other way around and your blocking, you instead of blocking 60% of the time, you would block 15 out of 100 chances. This method sounds more logical.

In the most probable case of NEITHER of these theory's being correct, then i would like a w101 programmer to explain this to us all. Please.

Sorry if my grammar is a trainwreck, My primary written launguage is spanish

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 48

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
the randomness with this new system seems to be on each hit for both block and critical. With your example of 30% chance one might expect 3 out of 10 hits to critical, but its not that simple if you have ever rolled die each face has a 1 in 6 chance ot being on top but we all know you can roll 30 times and yet not roll a 1. this is basically how critical and block are working now each hit will be worked out random if you critical or block. So with 30% chance each hit will have a 1 in 3 chance of critical and a 2 in 3 chance not there will be no pattern to critical or block unless you have 100%+ on either.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2014
You guys have pretty much put my best guess on how the system works into words. However, how does the new system percentage go down with leveling? I know I went down a full percent(actually slightly more) every time I leveled between 100 and 110. Starting with 49% and ending with 38%. I am storm. With darkmoor gear, which I farmed hard for. Now I have a 38% critical, which my legendary friend says he has almost the same percentage?! If this doesn't scream broken I don't know what does. But anyway, any thoughts on how the level progression has changed? Duelist101 had the calculation for the old system worked out, I wonder if they can figure out the new one as well.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out why the critical boosts (and the critical blocks) lower as you progress in levels, and I don't know if it starts happening at level 100 or level 50. I will try to put my best knowledge into this issue.

But again, I am no mathematician. Nor a kingsisle programmer to know this. I'm just a helpful player that is trying to explain as much as I understand. This is why I woud like kingsisle to give us the formula to the critical calculation, which would ease up the the revolt in players and open up the community to possible solutions. That's just a thought.

Isaac GoldHeart lvl 48

Explorer
Jun 27, 2014
the level decay does start at 50 but its unclear what it is until 100. From 100-110 we are losing 1% per level and it is like going back to waterworks chances with critical and block. That being said those who are in hades gear or lvl 85-100 seem to have the worst trade offs, my fire at 93 was only getting 4% critical, this really made me mad Between 60-100 there isnt much gear other than crafted or Hades sets, It has been made clear that this new system will remain but going from 60-100 is a long haul and the existing gear doenst cope that well in this new system. I am waiting to see how KI will address this. I cannot understand how my level 68 Myth has a better chance to critical and block than my level 93 Fire - myth is in waterworks set with a regular wand and fire in full hades with hades wand. They keep trying to tell us this new system is better than the old one, yet I still fail to see at any point where exactly its better.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
The critical chance goes down at least as early as level 90 - my main, myth, gets less critical than my balance who is at level 75. I don't know about critical block. What I do know is that I am hardly ever blocking now and it's taking a big toll on my main character. Regular, non-boss, monsters are landing criticals and nearly killing my character.

(Here comes the rant. lol)

It's kind of, you know, not fun anymore. I'm tired of every fight being such a struggle, scrounging for better gear, and I'm especially tired of cheating bosses. Minions are under-powered and unusable against cheating bosses anyways because they will most likely activate the boss' cheat. lol

I don't want to buy treasure cards, find a group, and then spend my time putting blades on a storm wizard and waiting for a huge hit (that may or may not be a critical and/or be blocked).

So, in the end, it's long, unfair fights, collection quests, and mulling over the wiki looking for better gear. No thanks.

I say end it at the end of Zafaria and consider the game "beat" for yourself, then move on to another wizard and do the same. Azteca, Avalon, and Polaris clearly are not for me and, I would say, not for casual gamers.

Administrator