Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Talent Pool Elixer

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Because I think the pet training mechanic is fine the way it is this goes against my better judgment, but I'm going to suggest it anyway simply because of the number of posts I see complaining about the time and energy required to determine if a pet is going to get the talents you want. I'm not suggesting a 100% vision of the future but I am suggesting a very expensive elixir that would allow you to see ALL of the POTENTIAL talents a newly hatched pet MIGHT learn. You would still have to train the pet and there would be no guarantee that your preferred talents would manifest, but, at least you'd know the talents are in the gene pool. I'll throw out the number 1000 Crowns just as an example of a suggested cost. I wouldn't pay it myself but there might be those who would. I think it would be a win for KI and would offset the revenue they could possibly lose from reduced snack pack purchases, and it would provide a bit of encouragement for those who choose to train a pet after they use it.
How it would work:
Equip the newly hatched pet then purchase the elixir - a screen pop-up would show you ALL of the talents in the pet's pool. Once! It would be up to you to document the stats somewhere - write them down if you want - but the info wouldn't be stored anywhere in-game.This should be enough info to determine whether or not you feel it's worthwhile to train the pet. Obviously you'd get the best use from this by using it on an untrained baby pet but I suppose you could use it at any stage if you wanted, especially if you've gotten good talents at baby, teen etc.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
Because I think the pet training mechanic is fine the way it is this goes against my better judgment, but I'm going to suggest it anyway simply because of the number of posts I see complaining about the time and energy required to determine if a pet is going to get the talents you want. I'm not suggesting a 100% vision of the future but I am suggesting a very expensive elixir that would allow you to see ALL of the POTENTIAL talents a newly hatched pet MIGHT learn. You would still have to train the pet and there would be no guarantee that your preferred talents would manifest, but, at least you'd know the talents are in the gene pool. I'll throw out the number 1000 Crowns just as an example of a suggested cost. I wouldn't pay it myself but there might be those who would. I think it would be a win for KI and would offset the revenue they could possibly lose from reduced snack pack purchases, and it would provide a bit of encouragement for those who choose to train a pet after they use it.
How it would work:
Equip the newly hatched pet then purchase the elixir - a screen pop-up would show you ALL of the talents in the pet's pool. Once! It would be up to you to document the stats somewhere - write them down if you want - but the info wouldn't be stored anywhere in-game.This should be enough info to determine whether or not you feel it's worthwhile to train the pet. Obviously you'd get the best use from this by using it on an untrained baby pet but I suppose you could use it at any stage if you wanted, especially if you've gotten good talents at baby, teen etc.
I think it would be a win for KI and would offset the revenue they could possibly lose from reduced snack pack purchases

I wonder how much revenue KI even makes on pet snacks anymore. I think of myself... I bought 25 Evil Magma Peas for both of my accounts quite some time ago because I got tired of farming bosses to try and get the drops.

Since then, KI has had a few double plant reward events for members where I have doubled my seeds every time. I get that non-members won't benefit from this, but I now have 200 EMP's on each account. Yes, I buy a membership for my second account when this promo is on, so they are indeed making money.

But I think it's been about 2 years since I last bought a Mega Snack Pack. I'm probably not the only one.

I agree with you though. This is not something I would buy neither. Some may find value in it, but for me it doesn't eliminate any of the things that drive me away from pet training most days.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Once a pet is hatched it comes with a finite set of talents; so it's possible to let players know what its range of potential and actual talents are. So anything that contributes to this is a very welcome addition to W101.

Since 2008, my family and I have spent lots of gold, crowns, time and commitment hatching and training many pets to mega level; while also obtaining all desired talents.

Now, my family freely hatches with everyone, so their pets end up with the most desired talents sooner; without any of them having to invest the same amount of time, gold, and crowns in the process. Its a win-win for everyone involved.