Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

am i doing something wrong?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
last night, my best in-game friend told me about a cool halloween fish in unicorn way. and, when i got up this morning, i figured i'd try and catch one for myself.

so i did my research and found out the location/school, armed myself with a minor luck elixir and my fishing gear, and off i went. but there were no storm fish in the pond... so i reset the pond and used winnow storm (for those who haven't completed ds, it scares away all but storm fish), but still not a single storm fish in that pond. i repeated the process about 6 times, but still no storm fish. not one~ nada, niente, none.

i get that the seasonal ones are supposed to be "rare", but they shouldn't be so rare that i have to waste all my energy resetting the pond. am i supposed to fish out the pond first before resetting it, or is there something else i'm not doing right?

i want to like fishing; i really do. but it's hard when it's such an obvious waste of money.

-von

Delver
Aug 07, 2012
Hi Dr. Von, I love fishing so perhaps I can help. First I don't waste my money on elixir. I don't find they help. Just have to aim in front of the fish. I find that if I have the fish lined up between the wizard ear and shoulder, its usually a good shot. I just went to Unicorn way and caught the frankenfish so it is there. I'll tell you the area where I find it. It's by the wall that the wooden chest appears. Go not Unicorn way, cross the bridge straight across, pass the unicorn, go to far wall. I cast a reveal school as it is the only storm in the water this month. That has been the only section of the water that I have found it. Now that I say that and KingsIsle reads it, they might change it. It is storm level 1.
The vampire squid is Cyclops Lane over in the runoff by Rand-again near where a wooden chest appears. Death level 2
but I think I may have caught it last year with a level 1 death. Haven't tried this season yet.
Black Catfish-which is beautiful- is in the Commons big pool death level 1.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Last year some of my wizards found Frankenfish as soon as they got to Unicorn Way. Others I had to reset the pond for upwards of 3 days before one spawned. That's just the nature of rare fish.

The Vampire Squid was even more elusive when I was searching for it in Cyclops Lane. Once I found out it was also in the Krokotopia Entrance Hall, it was much easier to find. There are too many death fish in Cyclops Lane, so trying to find the Vampire Squid was not as easy as using Winnow (which wasn't available at the time).

The Entrance Hall on the other hand yielded better results. Since the Vampire Squid is only on the right side where there are only Life, Balance, and the occasional Myth fish, it was much easier to find there. Not that it necessarily spawned more frequently, but you didn't wind up with a basket full of Cuddlefish trying to find it. In the Entrance Hall you could quickly reset the pond if there were no Death fish in it.

But no, there is no need to fish a pond out before you cast Summon Fish. Just need to be patient and wait for it to spawn. It will. If you have to wait a day for your energy globe to refill before you try again, go for it. These fish are going to be around for a while, you've got time.

And Fishing Luck elixirs, I never waste my money on them. I find using the right school lure, and going with the highest rank is guarantee enough that I will land the fish. I've caught all 123 species of fish with all 12 of my wizards without using a Fishing Luck elixir. If a fish happens to get away, I'll just catch it another day... unless I find it again with enough energy on the same day, which has happened. But that's another story for another thread.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Dr Von on Oct 3, 2015 wrote:
last night, my best in-game friend told me about a cool halloween fish in unicorn way. and, when i got up this morning, i figured i'd try and catch one for myself.

so i did my research and found out the location/school, armed myself with a minor luck elixir and my fishing gear, and off i went. but there were no storm fish in the pond... so i reset the pond and used winnow storm (for those who haven't completed ds, it scares away all but storm fish), but still not a single storm fish in that pond. i repeated the process about 6 times, but still no storm fish. not one~ nada, niente, none.

i get that the seasonal ones are supposed to be "rare", but they shouldn't be so rare that i have to waste all my energy resetting the pond. am i supposed to fish out the pond first before resetting it, or is there something else i'm not doing right?

i want to like fishing; i really do. but it's hard when it's such an obvious waste of money.

-von
Oh Von there is multiple :P

Black Catfish= death, commons pond. Rank 1
Franken Fish= Storm, unicorn way (note it is a bit tough to find) Rank 1
Vampire Squid= Death, Cyclops Lane/Entrance Hall. EPIC rarity, rank 2

The first two aren't even that rare, vampire squid may be tricky though

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I feel your pain Doc but, you're just a victim of circumstance. I've started two new wizards since last Halloween so I figured I'd better get busy and snag these holiday fish for them. My Death wiz has yet to get all three after emptying three full energy globes. All my fault though because I was cocky and was sure the Frankenfish was a Death school fish so I winnowed the Unicorn Way pond three times and cleaned out all of the Deathacudas before I figured out what I was doing wrong. (duh, Storm!) On the other hand, with my new Ice wizard I got all three of the holiday fish in one sweep around Wizard City, three casts of Reveal School, and three lure casts. Bing, bang, boom, and still had enough energy left to do a little gardening. Just like in real life, fishing can be a maddening proposition.