Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Private chatting without being friends?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 12, 2013
I think this would be the right topic, sorry if it isn't. I wasn't sure where to put it.
Anyway, this guy private chatted me and said something very rude to me. We were not friends, so I don't know how he did that. I reported him, but was he private chatting me so Wizard101 could not see what he said? Does anyone know how you could private chat someone without being friends?
Thanks!

Administrator
Hello,

A player can send private messages without being on your friends list. If someone is sending inappropriate messages, please use the in-game reporting feature and then add them to your ignore list.

community@wizard101.com
Delver
Aug 31, 2012
How the player sent you a private message:

You had to have said something in public.

Player opens text chat box, which shows your character's name and what you said along with a history of people who have said things in the area.
He right-clicks on your name in the text box.
Your name now shows up in purple on his typing box (like a friend's name would if you text chatted a friend)
He is able to private chat you.

I hope you understand how to send private messages to people not on your friend list.

Also, if you say something in public, someone can send you a friend request minutes later even if you're out of the area.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2013
Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Darthvarian on Aug 5, 2015 wrote:
How the player sent you a private message:

You had to have said something in public.

Player opens text chat box, which shows your character's name and what you said along with a history of people who have said things in the area.
He right-clicks on your name in the text box.
Your name now shows up in purple on his typing box (like a friend's name would if you text chatted a friend)
He is able to private chat you.

I hope you understand how to send private messages to people not on your friend list.

Also, if you say something in public, someone can send you a friend request minutes later even if you're out of the area.
It was years after I'd played that I learned how no -friends were sending me PMs. :/

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
It also took me a few years to learn as well, and only months ago I discovered that you can quickly respond to messages from the last person who text chatted to you by pressing "R".
Whenever talking to a friend, I always used to find them in my friend list and press the text chat option .

If you didn't know that you could press "R" for response, now you do .

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
Actually its not right click, last i knew it was middle click.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Ryan Liondust on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
Actually its not right click, last i knew it was middle click.
I use a Macbook, so right-clicking (aka pressing two fingers at once) works. I'm not sure about computers.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2013
Darthvarian on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
I use a Macbook, so right-clicking (aka pressing two fingers at once) works. I'm not sure about computers.
It works when you right click on computers.....not sure about middle clicking.