Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 4-24-15

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Another Friday is winding to a close, but we can't be done yet! It's time for another Feedback Friday!

This week was a particularly great one, as we released our Spring update which featured, among many other things, the debut of the Socketing System! Today, I'd like to ask you this - have you socketed a jewel to a deck, amulet, ring, or athame yet? What's your favorite jewel you've found so far?

Here's wishing you a shiny and fabulously blingy weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Delver
Jan 17, 2013
I haven't socketed anything, because I've been unable to get a wrench to unlock the sockets. Literally all my gear has locked sockets, and I refuse to pay crowns to unlock them. I've been farming Morganthe, and she has only been dropping jewels for OTHER schools, and no artisan wrenches at all.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I socketed some on test. On live I've been collecting them, but I'm not going to put them in right away. It's going to take a while to find the best ones and get wrenches. I'm looking for pips, accuracy, and health/healing boosts mostly. Buffing cards could be good too, but so far I have only jewels with attack cards. There's no reason to have those on jewels since they can't be enchanted. I'd love it if Unicorn came on a jewel.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I have socketed zero items so far. I am finding it too hard to find any jewels worthy of being socketed, and my only other alternative is crafting. However, I will never craft a jewel using this new "random range" crafting recipe method, and I am very confused as to why this change was made without testing it first. So, I won't be socketing anything until either 1) the crafting recipes get restored to something more sensible, or else 2) the monsters in the spiral are nice and drop something I can actually use, however long that takes.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Probably the jewels with piercing or healing boosts, as they come in percentages. The flat resists and damage boosts are too low to make that much of an impact, or even worth using. Even if it was a small percentage, say 2% or 3% it would be significantly more useful and more worthwhile getting. Until a change is made to the amount give or it's changed into a percentage, I see no reason to use jewels for damage or resistance purposes currently. However, the idea itself is nice and the areas that don't concern those 2 attributes seem okay.

Wolf D., Self-Proclaimed student and 1st Age PvP Warlord.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
No, I havent had several worlds worth of quests to accumulate them, like the newer wizards will when they reach my level.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
I thought it sounded like a neat thing to do, so I bought the expensive recipe. Come to find out it calls for 7 orichalcum, a reagent I've never heard of and have no idea where to get it. So I guess I won't be socketing. I also don't enjoy fishing. I would prefer KI put some effort into designing new castles and modern-looking clothing. And since Pirates can have eye patches, why can't Wizards have glasses?

Paige Willowleaf, level 95

Survivor
Mar 28, 2013
No I haven't. I have multiple Exalted wizards that spent months farming the Graveyard, so the idea of ever more farming is not appealing. IMO, the jewel socketing system is not worth the time or effort. It's also a bit much to organize for multiple wizards Something else to store and keep track of .

I prefer the old way of getting good gear drops-from questing with an end of world dungeon. Or crafting (with trade option for other chars) and getting exactly what you intended to get for all the effort. I won't consider it until it is at least the level of wizard wanting to socket a jewel............and can do without the random effect. We get enough random with obtaining things as it is.

The bling of the jewels are nice to gaze upon.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Haven't had a chance to. I got a jewel I want to use, but not the socket wrench to open the socket and use it. Sadface

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
Sadly I haven't had the chance to socket jewels yet because I'm still farming here and there to see if there are jewels I'd like more. Also there's the fact, that I'm having trouble finding socket wrenches so that's a problem too :P I think almost all of the jewels can be useful if we use them correctly.

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
i haven't yet but give me time.
just a question why can't we socketed jewel to the level 100 darkmoor crafted deck

Survivor
Jun 18, 2014
Yeah, I have. I socketed a +5% life accuracy jewel to my ring I think? Which somehow got me kind of annoyed because now the Crowns outfit I bought so I would have 100%accurace is basically useless. :P
Anyway...thanks for the jewel socketing though! I think it's really cool. So is basically ALL of the new update! :)

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I have socketed a couple of jewels. I installed a Wraith Onyx (gives one Wraith item card) in my Death wizard's athame and put a jewel that increases Ice crit block in one of my Fire wizard's rings. I don't have an Ice wizard, but if I ever make one I have a nifty jewel that gives an Ice Mass Prism card that I'll definitely use.

I'll admit when I heard of the jewel socketing I wasn't sure if I'd like or use it, but now that it's hear, I'm enjoying it!

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted
Scarlet Windhammer, Archmage
Iridian Lotusblade, Legendary
Sabrina Boomblossom, Master
Abigail Frogslinger, Magus

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011
i have socketed a jewel into my athame. My favorite one is death damage

Community Leader
I really love the socketing system. It lets me choose exactly what kind of wizard I'd like to be. It also gives me a reason to go back into dungeons like Darkmoor to get more athames or rings, just so I'll be able to have more options.

I like the large availability of wrenches and gem crafting materials as well. It's not that much of a grind to get the materials you need to start socketing, especially for anybody that runs Morganthe.

I especially love that the Avalon utility spells (ie: Enfeeble) are available in gem form. One of my very good friends is a max level Ice wizard. He socketed a Guardian Spirit gem to his deck. Considering he already runs the Darkmoor Life Mastery, I am legitimately scared to face him in 1v1!

Personally, I have plans to get as much Death pierce as possible. I'd also like to get an Enfeeble treasure card to counter Life and Ice.

The one criticism I have about gems is how little the block gems do. Personally, I think all of your block gem's ratings should be added together before a percentage is calculated. Basically, treat all of your block gems as one piece of gear for percentage. "Crit monsters" are extremely difficult to counter, especially if you're going second.

Also, I would like to get percentage damage/resist gems. I like the way flat damage and resist was handled, but I feel that even a little percent damage or resist would be really nice.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Delver
Nov 05, 2011
Professor Falmea on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
Another Friday is winding to a close, but we can't be done yet! It's time for another Feedback Friday!

This week was a particularly great one, as we released our Spring update which featured, among many other things, the debut of the Socketing System! Today, I'd like to ask you this - have you socketed a jewel to a deck, amulet, ring, or athame yet? What's your favorite jewel you've found so far?

Here's wishing you a shiny and fabulously blingy weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
I found an eight universal resist jewel level 35 and up I think from diseased water spirit in moo shu. It's better than half the jewels in the new pack that I spent a ton of crowns on lol!

Survivor
Jun 15, 2011
I affixed a clear damage opal +10 to my "Corrupted Queen's Barb" athame. I really like the system! The updates were great, especially with the Dragonspyre fishing! I equipped my bone dragon mount for the occasion, and noticed that the fiery roar has been brought back at last! The cape, however, still goes through the player during the roars...

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I'm an avid crafter and I will not be crafting any jewels. Sorry, but they are not worth the time and effort just to get something that's pretty much worthless or give a minimum boost. For all the special reagents and special items you now need for this particular crafting ....... it's just not going to happen with my 12 wizards.

KI needs to stick to what they are best at ...... providing a game that is family friendly and not make the game so convoluted that you don't know which way is up. There is too much randomness in crafting jewels. If I am willing to farm for the reagents or whatever else I need for jewels, then I want more control over what I'm crafting. As it is, having to farm difficult places over and over and over and over again is tedious, monotonous, not-fun, and excludes people that can't get there, or don't have subs and can't afford to buy the dungeons (like Darkmoor).

Why does it have to be so random? Why does it have to be so difficult to get what we need to craft jewels? Why is it that getting the socket wrenches are going to be so rare (probably around a .000001% chance) that so many people are just going to give it up, or even quit the game over this?

Why?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I was very excited when socketing was announced, but after trying on test I lost enthusiasm. I'm just going to play the game as I normally do, collect whatever jewels drop for a while, and socket them only if they look great, IF I find the right wrench.

Wonderful idea, but not executed as well as it could have been. Random crafting results and crowns to unlock sockets? Just no.

The stats I most want to add are accuracy and outgoing healing for my life wiz, pips and pierce for my storm. Sadly I can't craft universal stat jewels because you removed opal recipes. I suppose they'll drop somewhere eventually. Crafting school specific gems seems like a crazy longshot because of all the random choices, and I've yet to get enough high level reagents to make even one. I'm willing to work for a known reward, but not willing to gamble. That's always been the point of crafting in Wizard - a "sure thing" alternative for gear.

The 14 top-level resist rings I crafted (full sets on two wizards, using vine, stone blocks and other rare reagents) have fewer sockets than the lower level rings. Talk about a slap in the face! The level 88 and 99 healing rings lack round and triangle sockets but the 76 rings have them. (1 vs 3) My best damage ring also has only one (useless square) socket. WHY? That is maddening and makes no sense. Please standardize by level, or give better items more sockets, not fewer. It's heartbreaking to think days of grinding and crafting effort were wasted. It's killed my will to farm for anything.

Do the best fishing luck and energy jewels only come in packs? I hope not. Those would be helpful drops.

I like the rest of the update, especially team-up kiosk and the new housing features, but jewels are disappointing as implemented.

I do appreciate the changes to crafted deck recipes. Thanks for acting on that input :)

Explorer
Jul 17, 2012
I put a jewel that was 40 balance resist and another jewel that was 18 resist every thing. Adding all the resist up as percentages equals more then a 100% resistance in the resist balance but this does not result in being spell immune. I don't understand the math. the jewels give me 58 (%?) while the clothing and pet gives me a total of 46% that adds up to 104%. so why does a balance attack reduce the wizards health? The balance bosses I was fighting did not say they pierced when they attacked. Do the jewels only reduce the attack amount by subtracting 58 without it being a percent? can someone explain what these different numbers actually do in a battle?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
heather amboo on Apr 26, 2015 wrote:
I put a jewel that was 40 balance resist and another jewel that was 18 resist every thing. Adding all the resist up as percentages equals more then a 100% resistance in the resist balance but this does not result in being spell immune. I don't understand the math. the jewels give me 58 (%?) while the clothing and pet gives me a total of 46% that adds up to 104%. so why does a balance attack reduce the wizards health? The balance bosses I was fighting did not say they pierced when they attacked. Do the jewels only reduce the attack amount by subtracting 58 without it being a percent? can someone explain what these different numbers actually do in a battle?
They aren't percentage, just -40 damage from a balance attack, not -40% It simply subtracts the amount.

Survivor
May 06, 2013
+22 flat defense opal that is universal flat resist

Survivor
Oct 26, 2013
I like how everything is however it would be nice if wrenches were dropped more often I like the jewel crafting it make shore that the levels are to par on the crafting levels and if you can find the new reagents n the world and not have to farm mobs

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
man0fbass on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
I really love the socketing system. It lets me choose exactly what kind of wizard I'd like to be. It also gives me a reason to go back into dungeons like Darkmoor to get more athames or rings, just so I'll be able to have more options.

I like the large availability of wrenches and gem crafting materials as well. It's not that much of a grind to get the materials you need to start socketing, especially for anybody that runs Morganthe.

I especially love that the Avalon utility spells (ie: Enfeeble) are available in gem form. One of my very good friends is a max level Ice wizard. He socketed a Guardian Spirit gem to his deck. Considering he already runs the Darkmoor Life Mastery, I am legitimately scared to face him in 1v1!

Personally, I have plans to get as much Death pierce as possible. I'd also like to get an Enfeeble treasure card to counter Life and Ice.

The one criticism I have about gems is how little the block gems do. Personally, I think all of your block gem's ratings should be added together before a percentage is calculated. Basically, treat all of your block gems as one piece of gear for percentage. "Crit monsters" are extremely difficult to counter, especially if you're going second.

Also, I would like to get percentage damage/resist gems. I like the way flat damage and resist was handled, but I feel that even a little percent damage or resist would be really nice.
A Guardian Spirit gem? Where does that come from?

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Hmm, thought I made another post. Sorry if this ends up here twice.

Wrenches drop from world end bosses, so even if a jewel says 95, you'll be 100 and done with the game before you reach Morganthe to get the wrench to unlock your sockets. That should change.