Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The PVP Community/Enlightenment

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Hello Wizard101 community and pvp enthusiasts , there is something i noticed which i'm a bit confused on. As you can tell i'm a wizard101 vet thats been here since this game came out. Now on to the subject, recently there has been allot of posts about players acting mean and that there should be something done about it. My reply is, do something about what? You can't change a entire community, if pvpers now are rude and ruthless then its just what we have to deal with it.

All these suggestions about hiring monitors for the pvp battles is completely silly and would be a wasted effort that could be spent somewhere else. I personally don't know whats going on in pvp firsthand right now at lvl 100, after i got my mains their warlord badges again i stopped pvping, shadow spells and this pierce/critical era killed pvp off for me. Its too quick,not enough action in my taste. Last of all, its pvp its made to have some fun teasing, i don't mean to curse someone till they cry a river, but pvp is where you can have fun and make clever taunts.

Thats my experince anyway, like for my fire. If i face someone with a mouth and i win with a critical i say " You just burned!" with a few other funny taunts to add on to it lol. Thats the way pvp is supposed to be, fun and realistic. I get people or parents are going to be carebears and thats to be expected but in all, its pvp, you shouldn't expect something so postive from an area(The Arena) where tickets or friendships?(Some people go super serious) are on the line.

In Conclusion, you can't change the community, you guys just need to accept them. The faster you do, then the easier it is for you to enjoy your pvp battles. With that, i wish you all goodluck in the spiral and happy hunting .

Survivor
Feb 13, 2009
DarkAce88 on Apr 2, 2015 wrote:
Hello Wizard101 community and pvp enthusiasts , there is something i noticed which i'm a bit confused on. As you can tell i'm a wizard101 vet thats been here since this game came out. Now on to the subject, recently there has been allot of posts about players acting mean and that there should be something done about it. My reply is, do something about what? You can't change a entire community, if pvpers now are rude and ruthless then its just what we have to deal with it.

All these suggestions about hiring monitors for the pvp battles is completely silly and would be a wasted effort that could be spent somewhere else. I personally don't know whats going on in pvp firsthand right now at lvl 100, after i got my mains their warlord badges again i stopped pvping, shadow spells and this pierce/critical era killed pvp off for me. Its too quick,not enough action in my taste. Last of all, its pvp its made to have some fun teasing, i don't mean to curse someone till they cry a river, but pvp is where you can have fun and make clever taunts.

Thats my experince anyway, like for my fire. If i face someone with a mouth and i win with a critical i say " You just burned!" with a few other funny taunts to add on to it lol. Thats the way pvp is supposed to be, fun and realistic. I get people or parents are going to be carebears and thats to be expected but in all, its pvp, you shouldn't expect something so postive from an area(The Arena) where tickets or friendships?(Some people go super serious) are on the line.

In Conclusion, you can't change the community, you guys just need to accept them. The faster you do, then the easier it is for you to enjoy your pvp battles. With that, i wish you all goodluck in the spiral and happy hunting .
Say your teacher had a certain dislike towards you, and would mark your tests harder than the others because of his/her personal bias, wouldn't that bother you? I'm sure it would. But if it doesn't, you must have the best mental health known to man. And I would congratulate you on that. So say it did bother you, and you got concrete evidence that he/she is doing it, wouldn't you go to the principal/headmaster/dean to get it dealt with? Sure, the teacher may argue you are a child and is lying, and it may never get solved, but wouldn't you at least try? Would you tell yourself that you can't change the teacher and just accept it? I don't think so.

As much as I agree with you on certain points on this, especially about hall monitors, I don't see what you are truly trying to say? Are you saying just willingly accept the behavior of the community? And are you saying the majority of the PvP community is like that?

In my opinion, I do believe that taunts were clearly intentional from KI for PvP since there is a taunt option in menu chat. But how far do you think they wanted it to go? I have no problem with small taunts, like the one you stated. But I severely disregard taunts that try to belittle others. And the majority of the time, those taunts start because some "clever" individual grew a massive ego and couldn't control his/her emotions.

PvP is competitive, and words will fly, but to what extent? The extent is the issue here my friend. And if clever taunts are all you care about then why should complaints about players who insult others bother you? Unless it doesn't, and you are trying to say it in a "clever" way. Should we just get over it? I don't think so. When ever I enter a match and my teammate gets ahead of his/herself and insults the opposite team, I flee and leave them to fend for themselves. Then I comeback and watch. The funny thing is, when I return, they seem to go silent. Trust me, if you try to do something, It matters, no matter how small it can be.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009

That's all well and good, but a recent event taught me that sometimes, the "taunts" go too far. A friend's daughter, who is autistic, began a match, and the opposing player called her a "loser." She lost the match to his treasure card spells, and almost quit the game entirely. I just had a player call me "evil" after losing to me, but as an adult, it doesn't phase me in the slightest.

This is bullying, plain and simple. It is unacceptable in school, in the workplace, it is considered verbal abuse in most cases. But on the internet, it seems to be not only accepted, but encouraged. It is, in fact, KI's responsibility to police their own game. Bullying is an epidemic online, and frankly, your OP seems to be if not flat-out blaming the victims, at least telling them to just toughen up.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Sorry-the other player called my friend's daughter trash.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I'm partial to the creation of an option in your chatbox that blocks the chat of all spectators and all opponents from showing up on your screen.

If someone doesn't want to read it, they shouldn't ever have to. Nor should anyone have to completely turn off chat and only use menus.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Lucas Rain on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
I'm partial to the creation of an option in your chatbox that blocks the chat of all spectators and all opponents from showing up on your screen.

If someone doesn't want to read it, they shouldn't ever have to. Nor should anyone have to completely turn off chat and only use menus.
In this case, the other players should also know that you've blocked their chat from showing up on your screen.

David Thundermancer 56

Defender
Sep 19, 2010

(Warning, incoming fence sitter)

I agree with you on some points, but don't agree with you on a lot of others. The community can be a fairly vicious one, although typically in a fairly laughable manner. Most of my adult friends play PvP for fun and enjoyment, and I get the impression from most sore losers and posse owners and the like that makes me feel the age of most of these people is a single digit number. However, keep in mind also that we are playing as children from a school of magic, fighting hobgoblins and friendly pixies and the like. I would not say this is a game where it is very appropriate to use foul or derogatory statements. I can't remember a time where I actually reported someone in PvP, because the more mature players in the game are likely going to laugh off a posse of kids on the sidelines talking around filters and just play the match. Younger players tend to be more impressionable and open though, and it's just downright rude to browbeat someone after its obvious that they aren't willing or decent at biting back. I don't think that monitors should be a thing to any more extent than the current hall monitor system, and I don't expect anything to actually change. However, even just actions such as the "Block enemy chat" option in PvP to be extended to "Block chat will all but friends list" would go a long ways towards making the game more enjoyable.

Mason Shadowwraith, Overlord and all that stuff

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Invitirion on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
Say your teacher had a certain dislike towards you, and would mark your tests harder than the others because of his/her personal bias, wouldn't that bother you? I'm sure it would. But if it doesn't, you must have the best mental health known to man. And I would congratulate you on that. So say it did bother you, and you got concrete evidence that he/she is doing it, wouldn't you go to the principal/headmaster/dean to get it dealt with? Sure, the teacher may argue you are a child and is lying, and it may never get solved, but wouldn't you at least try? Would you tell yourself that you can't change the teacher and just accept it? I don't think so.

As much as I agree with you on certain points on this, especially about hall monitors, I don't see what you are truly trying to say? Are you saying just willingly accept the behavior of the community? And are you saying the majority of the PvP community is like that?

In my opinion, I do believe that taunts were clearly intentional from KI for PvP since there is a taunt option in menu chat. But how far do you think they wanted it to go? I have no problem with small taunts, like the one you stated. But I severely disregard taunts that try to belittle others. And the majority of the time, those taunts start because some "clever" individual grew a massive ego and couldn't control his/her emotions.

PvP is competitive, and words will fly, but to what extent? The extent is the issue here my friend. And if clever taunts are all you care about then why should complaints about players who insult others bother you? Unless it doesn't, and you are trying to say it in a "clever" way. Should we just get over it? I don't think so. When ever I enter a match and my teammate gets ahead of his/herself and insults the opposite team, I flee and leave them to fend for themselves. Then I comeback and watch. The funny thing is, when I return, they seem to go silent. Trust me, if you try to do something, It matters, no matter how small it can be.
Part 1: The Teacher
That's a very nice example, but a flawed one, but hey like you said I have very good mental health so I don't let little things bother me because I have high tolerance. Now on to your example and why it isn't great. No offense, Ok so your example would most likely work with most people but for me I would just study harder and try to get a complete 100% and when I do, and recheck my test and compare it to the resources the book or etc.

Then he will have to give me the correct grade and stop being a harsh grader or I would be forced to tell the principle, which would either get him/her fired for misconduct or whatever teachers use to discipline themselves, different schools have different methods. Oh and I'm using a Catholic school method, not a public school one. I choose this choice over your alternative because, why risk telling on the teacher when your risking the teacher hating you even more, because I doubt you will get results instantly. Like for real world law, it has to under go processions, processes, overviews and reviews and etc.

So as you wait for the principle to work his life magic to revive your grave deep grade. Oh and sorry for all the college students if I'm being too lazy to google all this information, just I didn't want to make this post too boring, being stuffed with facts and all. So as you wait for the principle to save you, your teacher or main teacher? Will be busy hating you, and giving you zeros when you really should be getting those 100%

Part 2: The Community
Yes you should accept the community, sure some people can be rude but no one is born that way. Everyone acts a certain way for a reason for example a mature book called "Long way Gone"(Mature realistic book, about google it, I think I can say that, its like saying wizard soldiers) well that's all I can say, I only got 138 Char left, so I hope u understood my point.

So anyway, accept people for who they are and happy hunting in the spiral.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Lucas Rain on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:

Agree
Nicholas Star