Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Castle Darkmoor Nerf!

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 22, 2012
I hope KI does take a serious look at this and the future. A solo or dual option would be great. Making the game more and more exclusive to a single group of players to me just doesn't make sense. That just cuts off possible customers.

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
hopefully it will get easier before i get there

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
Something has to be done about the incredible piercing in this dungeon. We are not equipped to be able to withstand it. Did graveyard this evening with a good team. We knew the cheats. We had a very bad run that last 2 hours. By the time we finished, we got really the worst drops which were a slap in the face. I have a tension headache now and no feeling of accomplishment in the game. Just a feeling that I wasted 2 hours of my life. I understand difficulty but seriously this is rediculous. Now I wonder if we will need this gear for the next world. Will the difficulty level be the same? I love the rest of the game minus the pvp so I hate to give it up but really what is there to look forward to in the future?

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
What I find sad is how long it takes to complete this. Each time I've gone in has been with people who know what they're doing. I've gone in eight times, and only two of them have been completed due to time conflicts. Many of my friends are students like myself and all of us have schedules we need to follow and due to us not knowing exactly how long each battle will take (especially during runs with a bad luck battle somewhere) one or more of us will have to log off. Sometimes we have had two or more hours set aside for it and we still fail because one of us has to leave for an important reason.

I know that we are skilled enough to complete this and that we can complete this together, because one run we had was an hour and a half, but that time luck and time were both on our sides. That was over Thanksgiving break. As of now, with school back up, none of us have the time to do it. It's hard to set aside the time to do Darkmoor when you have a couple of hours of homework to do. I understand that the holidays are coming up, but even then our time is limited because we all spend holidays with our family and because of the different time zones we live in, our breaks are not always synchronized.

I really wish that some of the cheats could be nerfed just a bit so that it would take less time to get through the dungeon. It would make it far more enjoyable for the average player.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2010
Part 2:

I admire the challenge, it's great. Remember when we all were level 60's and Waterworks came out? In a way, it's just as hard as it is for a player going in Waterworks with a team of all 60s. But Shane Von Shane v2, is really all based on luck. You can't dispel him, he'll heal or blade and use that storm dispel up. His Squall needs nerfed. Storm in general, come on... Storm is supposed to have the worst resist in the game, but have insane power. So Squall it's self doesn't need nerfed. THE SQUALL Shane uses, needs to be a weaker version. As for those who claim to not have time for this dungeon. I'm not trying to upset you. But it needs to be long. it's supposed to be no walk in the park, it's supposed to be long and agonizing, and challenging most of all. But Shane is THE worst part of it, and as I pointed out: YOU CAN dispel him, but you aren't able to even dispel squall because guess what, he'll just get rid of it. Make time for the dungeon. Or find faster strategies. Shane Von Shane is the main problem in my opinion. Malistaire is completely doable, just takes long and is annoying, but I'm fine with that.

-Christopher Storm

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
Sarg042 on Dec 3, 2014 wrote:
HIgh Pierce...lol

I go in IMMUNE (104% defense) to schools and get hit for the exact same amount of damage as my partner with 25% resist...

That means the pierce is over 104 %

I'm not sure if that's a "Glitch"... but it sure makes the run painful for me...lol

Von, I"ll run Darkmoor with you, just let me know when
Yup, its supposed to be 40 %, and you are quite right. Armor resist is completely ignored in this area. Shields reduce it, not sure about bubbles, but personal stat resist is completely ignored.

Can it be worked around? Yes. It can. As pointed out earlier in this thread there are strategies. Most of these strategies involve a fast set up and a fast hit. (Sound like any school you know? Sound like the direction pvp is getting shoved?)

Ok, strike that last comment, I guess. Wouldn't be the first time I point out something painfully obvious but I end up with waterwork wonders jumping in calling it whining. Love the irony of that.

Been almost 2 weeks since I last went to Darkmoor. This has nothing to do with the obvious problem with the pierce, or the fact pet heals set off some cheats. This has to do with not physically having time to bother with it. So, what do I do? Go just about anywhere else. I would really like to do Darkmoor. I really wish I had that time to burn.

Getting through it? Know your school, know your pet, know your team, know your strategy. I have a rock that pulls a may cast enfeeble. Real handy being able to knock off blades occasionally. Pet with a may cast bubble might be ok too, but I never got a chance to see if bubbles actually work there.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Scarlet Nightdream... on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
What I find sad is how long it takes to complete this. Each time I've gone in has been with people who know what they're doing. I've gone in eight times, and only two of them have been completed due to time conflicts. Many of my friends are students like myself and all of us have schedules we need to follow and due to us not knowing exactly how long each battle will take (especially during runs with a bad luck battle somewhere) one or more of us will have to log off. Sometimes we have had two or more hours set aside for it and we still fail because one of us has to leave for an important reason.

I know that we are skilled enough to complete this and that we can complete this together, because one run we had was an hour and a half, but that time luck and time were both on our sides. That was over Thanksgiving break. As of now, with school back up, none of us have the time to do it. It's hard to set aside the time to do Darkmoor when you have a couple of hours of homework to do. I understand that the holidays are coming up, but even then our time is limited because we all spend holidays with our family and because of the different time zones we live in, our breaks are not always synchronized.

I really wish that some of the cheats could be nerfed just a bit so that it would take less time to get through the dungeon. It would make it far more enjoyable for the average player.
This all of this these are my feels about this dungeon.

Also since im a pyromancer it can be a real pain trying to find a team and when i do im a meat shield.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
Megan Frostflame on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
I know Castle Darkmoor is wayyyyyyyyyyy too hard. I've so far only made it to Sir Blackwater and the team I was doing the dungeon with all rage quit. These dungeons are so ridiculously hard I'm thinking of not even doing the dungeons even if the gear is amazing. Nothing is worth those cheating bosses.
its not a hard dungeon im not sure which part of darkmoor your talking about but i can get graveyard done in about 1.5 hours and the rest is pretty easily do able in under an hour

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
Castle Darkmoor is not impossible and the gear they drop is well worth the time. Darkmoor can actually be easy if you know what to do, the duelist has some helpful info but you should mess around, try to assemble a team of friends. Assign roles in battle. One setup that I have found to work is to have a Tank(for my run it was death but they say ice is better), a healer(life is best, balance can do at a pinch), a minion cleaner(Storm for my runs, Myth could probably also work), and a boss hitter(Fire, perhaps Myth)

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
DamagedSkull13 on Dec 19, 2014 wrote:
its not a hard dungeon im not sure which part of darkmoor your talking about but i can get graveyard done in about 1.5 hours and the rest is pretty easily do able in under an hour
True, after a couple weeks I've adjusted to the difficulty and say it's still challenging but not as much as before. So far I've gotten many pieces of gear (3 of which the malistaire hat robe and wand) also the athame. now I just have to go back until I get the boots...

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
I think Graveyard is not a place that you can easily farm, especially when you're forced to use team up. As a balance wizard let me share some tips i found very useful:

Yev fight:
- when your hammer is set up with blades use shatter on Yev to remove the 75% shield
- double feint Yev

Shane fight:
- if you're going first, then use storm dispel to dispel glowbug (which can ruin the team's blade + steal charm combo)
- if you're going second you can try empower + mana burn combo to keep his pips down, or double storm dispel is also a good solution

Mali fight:
- shadow shield comes handy after he transformed into shadow form
- sanctuary - doom & gloom - kill - sanctuary can make things much easier
- set up traps first, then your hammer should use shrike before the round the dragon takes away blades, then start blading

Survivor
Jun 11, 2014
I believe darkmoor should be made easier i have only beat it twice and no gear even though i put in all that hard work and tried lots of times but everyone always rages also the pierce needs to be fixed.

Survivor
Oct 28, 2012
Alex Stormlight on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
I have heard of enough of this. Castle Dark Moore is not that hard. People seriously need to start getting skill. Lets also remember a few things:

1. All the good drops are common.
2. They released spells that damage very heavily for 5 pips and one shadow pip.
3. The dungeon is in sections. Don't have to do the entire thing straight through from entrance to Malistair or start over.
4. Its easy to find help.

Stop complaining about Castle DarkMoore. Trust me, the dungeon can be farmed very effectively if you know how to do it.
I can agree with you on the 2-3 but the drops are not by far common. I have farmed this dungeon more than 20 times to be exact, and some of the gear is way to hard to get especially if you want the gear from Malistair. The dungeon can be very hard if you don't know what you're doing or can't find any help. Each person has different farming skills to do the dungeon as well, and each person has their own opinion weather or not it's hard. Don't forget that Malistair has the ability to use shadow spells as well and so do some of the minions on the side which can be irritating too. Also, when he transforms into his shadow form and reaches to 99,000 health, that's the worst part, so I totally agree on the nerfing part because this dungeon is way too hard.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Eric Ash on Nov 19, 2014 wrote:
PLEASE, for the love of Ambrose, NERF CASTLE DARKMOOR! It was hard enough as it was in the test realm, let alone making it harder... The only way you can survive is if you get lucky, or have a team full of expert players.
I understand that it has to be a challenge, but this is too much.
Other than that, I think the new update is terrific!
Ive beat it plenty of times you just need to try more.

DavidGhostMask Lvl100

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I love Darkmoor. The enemy pierce is a little crazy, but it's still fun to do.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Darkmoor seems to be way too much of a struggle to make me want to run this for more than my spell.
Sounds a lot like Tartarus^2.
I remember when everyone was talking about Tartarus gear. Well, now 10 levels later we have gear that blows it away. Are we going to be saying the same thing about Darkmoor in ten more levels?
I will run it to get my spell and be done with it, I am an adult and cannot devote 3-4 hours at a time for anything other than sleep or work.
I tried solo a couple of nights ago. Almost beat Chaney (the first guy). got stuck needing a reshuffle before I had the minions gone. Scarecrow spamming will work though for death. Next guy probably not.

My question is when people talk about how the dungeon is not that bad if you have a team, pet, gear etc and doesn't need a nerf because then it would be too easy. Well, you can make any dungeon as difficult as you want. Take off your quad or quint damage pet Mr. hitter. Take off your quad resist pet Ms. tank. Drop the 150% boost Mr. healer. You can do lots of things to increase the difficulty.
Those of us who dont have endless time (Time is what perfect pets, gear and teams represent) cannot reduce the difficulty.
I am not actually for nerfing the dungeon. Just reminding the Uber players that the difficulty level can ALWAYS be increased. But for those with limited time, it can only be decreased so much.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2011
Graveyard (where you get the best gear) is much too difficult for the rewards. You have to spend a few hours just to get nothing in return (most of the time). I have honestly spent, no wasted 24 hours of my life on graveyard just to only get the tier 3 robe, that's it. I have done this 7 times already and I am very disappointed on the drops i have received. I am either for getting this nerfed or at least making the drops more common. It's very annoying to be really excited to know that you could get the best gear in the game, but after the hours of hard work and struggle you are rewarded with absolutely nothing! So please KingIsle, hear me out, fix Darkmoor because it is not worth the struggle at all.