Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hardcore Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 07, 2009
Hey, I've been looking for a way or rather a set of rules to bump up the difficulty of the game but not drastically change the experience to the point where it is unenjoyable, and I need help coming up with some more. These are the rules I have so far.
- Delete wizard if defeated in battle
- All bosses (that you can) must be defeated alone
- Cannot use crowns-purchased items (you can still use the ones you get from drops)
- Do not transfer items from other wizards

Defender
Jun 16, 2011
I think this is good only if it were an option to do this. And that even if you did decide to do this you could recover your wizard at any level you lost it.

But still I find many problems with this idea. I started playing wizard101 around when I was 8, and still ply it to this day but many small kids play this game and maybe we should not make the game too hardcore for them.

But still pretty nice idea overall! I think it would be cool if this could be a mode in the game that you could choose if you felt that W101 was too easy for you. I feel that W101 did a good job on the difficult level and how you can play in battles.

Elizabeth Level 68

Survivor
Sep 18, 2012
hello.
i'm new at this. Anyway i think that might be a bit too hardcore though. Some are complaining that it is already too hard. Also, some dungeons are for groups. You know if defeated then your wizard is deleted. Then there is no point for Mrs. Greyrose ( i think ) to tell you that it is okay to be defeated. This is my opinion.

See ya in the spiral!
Kymma
Jennifer
Stephanie
Destiny

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I don't really see a need for settings, you can always make the game more challenging on your own. But some ideas.
- No Pets
- No Treasure Cards
- Only Main School Spells allowed
- No Wisps
- No Health Potion Bottles

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Where do you draw the line at "unenjoyable?" I would have a very grim disposition if I knew I had to delete my wizard after every loss.
Here are some other fun things for you to boost the challenge:
  • Complete all of Wizard City while running backwards.
  • Use only first generation pets (no hatching).
  • Use Polymorph or Polymorph treasure cards often.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
PyromaniacCaleb on Nov 17, 2014 wrote:
Hey, I've been looking for a way or rather a set of rules to bump up the difficulty of the game but not drastically change the experience to the point where it is unenjoyable, and I need help coming up with some more. These are the rules I have so far.
- Cannot use crowns-purchased items (you can still use the ones you get from drops)
I say keep the things the way they are

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
I have worked for more than a year on my wizard, and I would not appreciate it at all if all my progress was deleted because I was defeated once. If King's Isle ever does this I will stop playing because the game would be worthless then. No offensive, but I am not at all in favor of this idea.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Lucas Rain on Nov 18, 2014 wrote:
Where do you draw the line at "unenjoyable?" I would have a very grim disposition if I knew I had to delete my wizard after every loss.
Here are some other fun things for you to boost the challenge:
  • Complete all of Wizard City while running backwards.
  • Use only first generation pets (no hatching).
  • Use Polymorph or Polymorph treasure cards often.
Oh it might be fun to try using ONLY polymorph cards lol.. might have to buy back some of the ones I just sold..

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Folks, I believe the OP was talking about a way to make your game play more difficult, not changes to the game itself.

Stuff like this has been posted before ... like playing only with items dropped, using only a starter deck, not using pets, etc. Relax!

Explorer
Mar 26, 2011
Completing the game in slow-motion and fast-motion
Boss health not shown (So you have to mega blade and trap)
Everything walks everywhere and has double health.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
RavenLady777 on Nov 23, 2014 wrote:
Folks, I believe the OP was talking about a way to make your game play more difficult, not changes to the game itself.

Stuff like this has been posted before ... like playing only with items dropped, using only a starter deck, not using pets, etc. Relax!
I agree. I believe the OP's suggestions were meant to be self-imposed penalties. Personally, I would find it hard to delete a wizard I'd spent a long time developing just because I lost a single battle. I remember back in my "Diablo" days when playing in hardcore mode meant exactly that... one and done, character dies=character deleted. In a game like W101 where nobody really dies, were a feature like that to be offered it should be on a strictly optional and voluntary basis with the understanding that there are extreme and permanent penalties for losing a fight. As it is I sometimes have to remind myself that the worst thing that can happen if you lose a battle is that, unless you placed a marker outside the instance, you'll have to make your way back from commons area of whatever world you happen to be fighting in. The only loss from losing a battle is time and whatever TC you might have used in the fight.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012

I tried this in another popular mmorpg and it got really boring because you take absolutely no risks. At least in W101 you can't fall of cliffs, but still... after investing 50 hours of game play its silly to enter a battle if there is any chance you might lose. The game becomes slow and boring.

A big penalty for dying would be more approriate. Self imposed penalties could include:
(a) Your character becomes inactive for 10 days.
(b) Your character loses all items equiped and in backpack. (including pets and mounts! Banked items are safe)

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
I think I've kind of programmed myself to be a "hardcore wizard" since the start.

1: I've only ever used and trained one pet in the whole game for my wizard. (The others just decorate my house)
2: I've never used crowns to buy gear or elixirs.
3: I've never crafted my gear, only used what I get from drops.
4: I've never used potions.
5: I've only ever used one deck of cards at a time.
6: I've never gardened or crafted otherwise.

Sometimes people get annoyed with me because I "slow them down" when I lose all my health and have no potions, or have to readjust my deck before battles instead of simply switching it out. But I say, it's harder, but I definitely have a greater sense of accomplishment!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
The more you play, the more opportunities you discover best and worst ways to play any wizard.

As you get good, you find work around solutions to face most challenges you encounter in the game.

As you get great, you realize you're able to work with most, if not every possible gear, equipment, pet, and deck set-up.

Deleting your wizard after losing a battle is a very lazy, and boring way to play.

Wizard 101 gets progressively harder, and some battles, bosses, or dungeons require a full team for success. Some individuals and teams may redo the battle multiple times to discover the best way to defeat what you're fighting.

If you'd like to make certain fights more challenging, use older gear and equipment, try fighting without your pet, reduce or eliminate the number, and type of spell cards you carry in your deck, and don't use treasure cards (TC).

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
These are some good ideas. Make things difficult yourself. I never understand when something like DM comes out, that caters to hardcore players to the exclusion of the rest. When casual players complain, the hardcore push back on keeping it difficult, thus excluding the casual player from reaping the rewards from places like DM. There is no rule that states that have to wear your Uber gear and pets. Why not run it with bazaar gear?
My wife and I both have exalted Death wizards and I don't think we can get anywhere past the first part of DM. I have soloed Cheney, and it was rough. But we simply do not have the time to run this dungeon either as two or using team up.
Why not a level of difficulty determined by the number who enter a dungeon (or even selectable)? Or at least base drops on number of people in the fight.
KI comes up with a great gear set that is an upgrade to WW/WT with everything (crafted gear for death loses power pips),and we will never get to use it.
True hardcore players love this dungeon because it provides exclusivity.
Casual gamers, who would benefit more from Uber gear, are shut out either by ability or by time constraints.
Guess that is the end of my rant.
This game can be as difficult as you want though. Lots of ways to achieve this. Bazaar gear, no mastery ammys, no pets, no TC, no enchants (sun school), there are literally hundreds of ways to do this.