Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafted Spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 07, 2013
I was hoping that someone might give me some insight as to why you can not purchase the spell 'recipes" (ex. deer knight, keeper of the flame, ninja pigs, etc.) if your NOT a legendary artisan? I think that the "recipe" should be allowed to be purchased and that might give more people the incentive to train up to the legendary crafter. Buying the "recipe" is not giving a short-cut as you still have to do the crafting quest line ..... thoughts please?

Talon Drakecrafter

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Robobot1747 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
Why would you buy it if you can't use it?
For later use if you're doing the crafting quests to be able to use it. I think this would be a nice change, just that there should of course be a warning if you can't complete the recipe you're purchasing with your current crafting level.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
What's more frustrating to me is that we can't craft a 4 or 5 pip spell until after we've already gotten our 7 or 8 pip spell. by that time, the 4 or 5 pip spell is MOSTLY useless in PvE? I can see them more useful in PvP where you dig a surprise spell out of your hat

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ahmetep515 on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
I was hoping that someone might give me some insight as to why you can not purchase the spell 'recipes" (ex. deer knight, keeper of the flame, ninja pigs, etc.) if your NOT a legendary artisan? I think that the "recipe" should be allowed to be purchased and that might give more people the incentive to train up to the legendary crafter. Buying the "recipe" is not giving a short-cut as you still have to do the crafting quest line ..... thoughts please?

Talon Drakecrafter
All crafting works like that. The ability to purchase is the "check" that you are sufficient level. The current system does not check what crafting level you are when you go to craft, only when you go to buy the recipe.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
dayerider on Oct 10, 2014 wrote:
What's more frustrating to me is that we can't craft a 4 or 5 pip spell until after we've already gotten our 7 or 8 pip spell. by that time, the 4 or 5 pip spell is MOSTLY useless in PvE? I can see them more useful in PvP where you dig a surprise spell out of your hat
I believe that was by design.

The Loremaster is the method to obtain those spells at level 1 and no crafting required. Guaranteed receipt of the spell was likely shelved to Legendary crafting (approx. level 70), since while those spells are lower pips, they are more powerful than their regular 4-5 pip counterparts (i.e. just because they are low pips, does not equal lower level.......sorta like Insane Bolt).

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Oran of Urz on Oct 13, 2014 wrote:
I believe that was by design.

The Loremaster is the method to obtain those spells at level 1 and no crafting required. Guaranteed receipt of the spell was likely shelved to Legendary crafting (approx. level 70), since while those spells are lower pips, they are more powerful than their regular 4-5 pip counterparts (i.e. just because they are low pips, does not equal lower level.......sorta like Insane Bolt).
yeah, but they could have done it a bit different and still had the same effect. Would it really throw off the entire game if the spells that matched your school could be gotten earlier (either by crafting or quest rewards)? I dont think so. As I stated before, with the exception of PvP, and Deer knight (which seems to be THE most popular spell people go for), by the time you can craft them, they are LONG past their real usefulness in PvE (IMO). Then again, I would have made sure at least ONE of Loremaster's spells were really WORTH it (per school). I've seen complaints about many of the crafted spells (life not getting another AoE, storm getting a duplicate, etc), and I would have give each school ONE spell that would address "in house" issues. Two PERFECT examples of this are Deer Knight and Pot Boiler. This would address BOTH schools' players complaints of waiting too long to get AoE spells.

Pot boiler's spell (TC only, and gotten from the BOXES event) does 285 damage to all and places a death shield on the caster, while costing 4 pips. I think this would have been a great addition to life's attacking power earlier than L58.

Each school has it's good and bad, yes, and we have to learn to play those aspects of the school, but that doesnt mean always making these crazy standards. How many times do we hear "X school doesn't have Y spell!"? Enough times, and I've only been playing for a couple of years now.

I also don't think it would hurt their bottom line too much to do this either. It would only affect a few spells per wizard. People would STILL buy packs for the other spells not aligned with their school and there's tons of other things in the packs that are worth buying if you're spending crowns.

however, I also understand my views arent always shared by the masses, and THAT is who the game is for, the masses