Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are certain abilities unique to the Pet?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I will use Death school pets for my example.

I have a Red Ghost pet which coincidently offers the spell of the same name. I also have an Avenging Fossil with the spells Deathblade, and Feint.

Is it possible for me to have an Avenging Fossil acquire the Red Ghost spell from the Red Ghost pet if I choose to hatch them? Likewise, if the Red Ghost could acquire Deathblade and/or Feint, this is acceptable as well.

I have wizards/pets in other schools as well, so this question would apply to them as well.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Gabriel

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Spells acquired by talents can be hatched to another pet type. Spells that a pet gets at certain levels because of it's type cannot be hatched to a another type. Your example of Red Ghost, the spell cards given are a part of the pet type, NOT a talent. You get one at Ancient, Epic and Mega regardless of what talents it has. Feint is both, certain pets have Feint always as a spell card given at a certain level, there is also a talent that gives a feint card. The talent can be hatched to another pet type, the intrinsic abilty cannot.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Talents can pass from pet to pet, but no, the given at baby card is unique to the body type. So Red Ghost is always on Red Ghost (or Penumbra Drake). You can't change those cards.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Pets get 10 Talents. 5 come from each parent.

With enough time, energy and training, its possible to get your pet to obtain the exact combination of talents you want.

So, yes, it's possible over time to get all the talents you seek.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Tylerwildpants on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
Pets get 10 Talents. 5 come from each parent.

With enough time, energy and training, its possible to get your pet to obtain the exact combination of talents you want.

So, yes, it's possible over time to get all the talents you seek.
He was asking about the card that comes with the pet, not talents. Those can not be changed.

Pets don't always get 5 talents from each parent btw. It's chance how many from each.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Gemma, thank you for clarifying about pet cards, vice talents; because I missed this entirely.

I also used to think pets that started out with cards, couldn't ever be changed...

...however through hatching; I now have 2 pets with multiple cards:

Polar bear with both the Wooly Mammoth and Deer Knight Cards
Pegasus with Judgement, Disarmament, and Deer Knight Cards

Regarding talents; you can see what talents most pets get via the link below:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Pets

While its true, new talents may be random; but its not uncommon for pets to end up with one or more multiple talents from each parent.

And through hatching, many players have successfully ending up with a pet that no longer have any of its original talents; but all new ones instead.