Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Remove Bazaar Min/Max Price Display

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Whenever I go to the bazaar and buy multiple reagents, the game flat-out refuses to tell you how much it will cost. It just shows a minimum price and a maximum price, and gives quite a range. Just today, I was trying to burn off some gold (add a bigger gold bag too) and I saw that someone had sold 500 blood moss, so I went to buy it, and looked at the lower price (I assumed it would be close to that because there were 500, hence low prices) and bought it. it cost me over 100,000 gold, how's that for burning off gold?
Personal anecdote aside, there's no reason for this. Clearly, the system has to do calculations to determine the min/max prices and calculates the exact price when you buy, so I don't think this will put any sort of undue load on the server, and I want to know how much I'm paying. How would you feel if you wanted to buy some groceries at Wal-Mart, and the cashier told you they would cost between fifty and five hundred dollars, but wouldn't tell you how much exactly? That would make you mad, wouldn't it?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Yeah, when you're buying multiple items, the Bazaar is guilty of the ole bait-n-switch. It looks like it will be affordable, then *BAM*. I'm with you on this, cost is cost anywhere else in the spiral, and there's no good reason for the shopkeep to be so shifty.

Since this is a good idea, let me address the non-helpful replies you may get, since they frequently come up:
  • You should just craft/garden/farm reagents from x place
    No, we're talking about how unclear the bazaar is when you buy things.

• You should save your gold/garden more/farm Halfang and you'll never run out of gold, just like me because I am super rich all the time.
    Good for you, but that's kind of our point though: we want to save more gold. You can have 400,000 gold, but it's very easy to deplete when you bulk-buy reagents.

• This requires changes to the basic code, so it will never happen.
    It's not basic code, it's arithmetic calculation. Besides, even very old code can be changed.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's a Bazaar, not Walmart. There's no set prices in a traditional Bazaar setting. You get whatever deal you can get. The more of a certain item available, the lower the price. The more rare it is, the higher the price. It works the same way selling items, you get higher prices if there's none for sale, and lower prices if there's a lot. Basic supply & demand.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
The problem is amounts available change very rapidly as other players buy and sell items. The more sought after the item, the more likely some will sell between the time you first look at it and the instant you finalize the sale. Bazaar prices are tied to the number available at the instant of sale. I think KingsIsle could mitigate this problem by tying the bazaar price for items to the price displayed when the player clicks on the item, rather than the exact number available when the sale is finalized. Sometimes when you try to finalize the sale the item would no longer be there, which is a nuisance but understandable. But the price shouldn't be fluctuating from what the bazaar vendor quotes you, as long as he still has the item in stock.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
seethe42 on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
It's a Bazaar, not Walmart. There's no set prices in a traditional Bazaar setting. You get whatever deal you can get. The more of a certain item available, the lower the price. The more rare it is, the higher the price. It works the same way selling items, you get higher prices if there's none for sale, and lower prices if there's a lot. Basic supply & demand.
I'm not asking them to fix prices at a certain level, I'm asking them to tell me how much it's going to cost before i buy stuff. At an IRL bazaar, the vendors aren't going to tell you "You like this? It costs between 5 and 50 dollars, but I'm not going to tell you how much until you agree to buy it".

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Robobot1747 on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
I'm not asking them to fix prices at a certain level, I'm asking them to tell me how much it's going to cost before i buy stuff. At an IRL bazaar, the vendors aren't going to tell you "You like this? It costs between 5 and 50 dollars, but I'm not going to tell you how much until you agree to buy it".
Right. You only get a clear estimate when you buy a single item ("Would you like to buy a Turquoise for 5000 gold?"). If you're buying multiple items and will change pricing brackets in the middle of your purchase, you're going to end up spending more than you anticipated, because let's face it, no one has the price brackets for every item, snack, and treasure card memorized. The game should just calculate it and tell you what you're about to buy so you can make better informed decisions, and save a buck or two.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
It can't be a fixed price until after you hit the buy button. Remember, there are thousands of wizards purchasing at the same exact time and the total number of reagents may not be the same from the initial display to what the total actually is when you hit buy.

Previous KI statements on this subject:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/wizard-city/explain-about-the-bazaar-45680

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes/july2009#Bazaar

A real life bazaar doesn't have thousands of consumers all haggling with the shop keeper at the same exact time, therefore they are not the same situation. That is why the list price is sometimes different than actual price and sometimes why you can't even buy an item (sold out) even when it just showed you the price.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Oran of Urz on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
It can't be a fixed price until after you hit the buy button. Remember, there are thousands of wizards purchasing at the same exact time and the total number of reagents may not be the same from the initial display to what the total actually is when you hit buy.

Previous KI statements on this subject:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/wizard-city/explain-about-the-bazaar-45680

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/updatenotes/july2009#Bazaar

A real life bazaar doesn't have thousands of consumers all haggling with the shop keeper at the same exact time, therefore they are not the same situation. That is why the list price is sometimes different than actual price and sometimes why you can't even buy an item (sold out) even when it just showed you the price.
We can get around this with a simple fix: When someone selects an amount of reagents/TCs they wish to buy, the game temporarily removes them from the Bazaar and shows the player the price. If the player chooses to buy them, they are removed from the Bazaar, if not, they go back in.