Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Solo players: How do you solo Wizard101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 08, 2014
I solo with my life guy and its way easier than I expected since I can heal when low on health and with enough blades and traps I can one hit a boss with over 3000 health with my centaur.

My strategy:
I rarely use shields cause I don't need them
I focus on
blades
traps
healing
I also put a life dispel on the enemy just incase they have a healing spell.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
I soloed everything in the game up until the Jabberwock. Now that is a BEAST of a boss. By the time I prepare my 50k damage leviathan I was dead as a doornail, so I got a team and eventually we did it.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
I have soloed the game (mostly. I tend to get help every once in a while) through to level 76 in Avalon, and I always tended to be more offensive. I was told several times by people of all different levels and schools that I should try being more defensive because I was life, but it never worked. I get things done with the least amount of turns I can manage, because I dislike carrying large heals. I occasionally even try to estimate a range of damage based on my blades and traps. I try to keep as small a deck as possible now. Up until about 3/4 of the way through Celestia, I carried a packed deck (side board too), until I got some help from a team that helps people by appointment, and I couldn't find the card they told me to use, and they said "Your deck is too full" and I was like "Yeah. That's the point of bigger decks??" and they told me not to fill it and just keep the necessary cards and my life changed. Literally. It was the epiphany of all epiphanies for me.

My first character was a death wizard, because I thought that that was what I had been successful with on my first account. I didn't even finish Wizard City with her, and I started a life, and I still play her now.

:)

Survivor
Jun 15, 2013
when i solo i pack as much sprite's as possible and heal whenever i can but thats only if you
have high enough outgoing healing.
and if you have an attack all spell i recommend using it

talon shadowwraith 72

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
I have soloed with Death and Fire Wizards, although the boss fights tend to be hard for me.

Here is what I do

First, I use a second monitor. What I am surprised that no one has said is that I almost always check out the quest mobs abilities. Thus,I know what spells will damage them and what they are resistant to. I also know what defensive shields if any I need.

Secondly, I don't usually fill up a deck but I do max out my blades, traps, high damage spells and put in the appropriate shields including tower shields. I do use heal spells with my fire wizard though.

If I want a much easier time or need it. I usually use henchmen at my level. I am a level 51 death wizard and 19 fire wizard. Henchmen at these levels are very cheap when it comes to crown usage. They help ENORMOUSLY. I have soloed group dungeons using a few henchmen. I am not sure that using a henchmen qualifies as soloing,but it really does help and , in some cases, it is necessary especially for higher level dungeons.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
I started out soloing( I'm Balance) and I never summoned minions but healed myself between strong spells.
This meant I had strong health and good health...but now I play with teammates a lot. It is more fun to do things with friends.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
. . . my play time is usually early in the morning, usually anywhere from 5am and up . . .

Any hope of weekend time? My current lifestyle does not support much for morning Wizard. I am trying to make it a point to get on and do non-Elder gardening chores in the morning and then get right out. I am currently undergoing more chaos in Real Life [TM] and often do not even get that much done.

I'd be glad run with you again and help you show Juggernaught the door.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Reading other's comments above I notice a lot of people saying they don't use shields. That just seems weird to me.

I can see a Storm or Fire wizard finding a need for shields -- you don't start with enough Health at first.

For Life, Balance, and Ice, the starting Health is high enough that I find focusing on getting up the blades means killing them faster, they do less damage, and I don't need the shields.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Explorer
May 08, 2014
Have a wiz that is a sustain class... like death, i solo 3/4 of the way with great sustain (especially when you get crow)

Survivor
Aug 20, 2012
I am a life wizard and I decided to solo until I couldn't solo anymore without dying constantly. My strategy? Well first I've got to have the best gear possible for my level!

Next I train in Death as my secondary so I can learn feint (because life sucks at offense).
After soloing through worlds I have to go through Big Ben

Since I can heal myself it wasn't difficult and the life minion just made it more easy.
I usually spam tc of blades and use Blade Golem as another offensive move that's better than seraph.
I wish KI would have made a 5 pip offensive spell for life because Marleybone-Mooshu I either was stacking blades on Seraph.... OR..... Waiting on pips for Centaur. (Excluding that you can craft Goat Monk)

By the time I'm in Dragonspyre, I only have one offensive spell that can kill anything, but I WAS ABLE TO DO IT!!

It takes concentration and (tons of tc) the skill to judge what you're up against.

If you study the mobs then eventually you can guess what there next move is.

BUT!!!

The most easiest way to solo through Wizard101 was probably using Monstrous tc to take down enemies on the first turn.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2012
ineedacuppatea on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
Hello my fellow wizards!

I have been a solo wizard for years. First it was because I had menu chat, and then it was just because I was shy and didn't really want to have to talk to people. However, I didn't like playing alone.

Now it's different for me. I actually like being solo. Yes it's more hard work, and yes it takes longer, but it gives you this sense of accomplishment like "Yeah, I just beat this boss all by myself! Look at that!". I find playing solo very rewarding. However I know that it is basically impossible to solo some parts of the game.

Over the years I have come up with strategies for myself as a balance wizard (certain decks, spells, pets, clothing combinations I stick with), to survive a boss with three times the health I have.

What is your soloing style? Defensive? Offensive? Don't heal until the last moment? Spam shields and minions?

What do you guys do? What is your strategy?

-Morgan Stormheart
Hi. I Have a balance wizard who is in mid azteca. I usually have trouble with strategy because my first wizard was my balance. It is really hard for me to usually solo it unless the enemies do not have a super amount of health. I usually have to get friends to help me with bosses and dungeons. I do really wish i was a more skilled player. I can not even defeat the boss to get the sun spells in Azteca because i can not strategize at all. So yeah. I do not usually solo it.
Travis TitanRider lvl 86

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
ineedacuppatea on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
Hello my fellow wizards!

I have been a solo wizard for years. First it was because I had menu chat, and then it was just because I was shy and didn't really want to have to talk to people. However, I didn't like playing alone.

Now it's different for me. I actually like being solo. Yes it's more hard work, and yes it takes longer, but it gives you this sense of accomplishment like "Yeah, I just beat this boss all by myself! Look at that!". I find playing solo very rewarding. However I know that it is basically impossible to solo some parts of the game.

Over the years I have come up with strategies for myself as a balance wizard (certain decks, spells, pets, clothing combinations I stick with), to survive a boss with three times the health I have.

What is your soloing style? Defensive? Offensive? Don't heal until the last moment? Spam shields and minions?

What do you guys do? What is your strategy?

-Morgan Stormheart
It's not easy to solo . Well, it isn't easy to solo any class if you look at it from a certain point of view. I love the team up button, I've made a few friend through it and helped me through the terrible instance of Belloq's Tent. Another thing that helped me is my Spiral Cup Gauntlet, it's made me get a ton of high level friends making me have a large pool of reserves to pull up when needed (some WAY more reliable than others). I'm not the most social person in the world but if you somehow meet up with a nice person like in a dungeon or something, try to add them. If they need help too, give it to them, like I had my most reliable friend help me with some angler boss in the Crustacean Empire in exchange for help with the Jotun Bros. Some might say he got a steal on that but honestly some good pet loot comes out of there and he's a nice guy (and who couldn't forget all the money you can get after 3 dungeons). Sometimes if you don't have a friend on, sometimes it's just the matter of a lucky critical pixie that just gets you over the edge.

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 74

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
here's the part where I give advice I don't always use:

1) Wizard school - this is the most important thing you can choose because your school will determine which holes you need to patch. I've had the most success with Death, though have a Fire in Azteca and a Life bouncing around Marley/Grizzle

2) Gear - Every 5 levels, check the bazaar for new gear and upgrade as often as possible (for your gameplan).

3) Mounts - This is an essential one, unless you lust getting into random fights while questing, pick a mount with little "tail activity". What I mean by this is swishing tails can drag you into fights quicker than a broom can. Sure the panther looks kewl and all that, but to the monsters who kill you, so does your stain on the ground

4) Mastery Amulets - This isnt NEEDED, but it CAN make your life easier. Not everybody has a play style conducive to living long in a battle, and Life Mastery amulets can help. If you're death, this is useless, but a balance mastery can help here (as one example)

5) Spells - one of the MOST important things I can state is this: Just because you EARN a spell, doesnt mean you have to USE that spell. Does that Rank 10 spell REALLY make sense for how you play the game? No? then don't use it!

there are others, but this is enough for now :)

Survivor
Jan 19, 2013
What is the strategy for the azteca sun spells quest boss for a fire wiz as i am a fire wiz i am having trouble with that boss by the time i blade and convert or even use shadow magic pierce i am although i have a ton of health and resist whats the strategy to solo this boss as a fire wizard?

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
You've soloed the whole game by yourself? That's a big accomplishment, grats. I soloed all the way up to Celestia and the bosses got way too........interesting. I was surprised that mobs in Dragonspyre used stuff like Sunbirds and Seraphs. (Also the fact that the highest spell Malistaire used on me was a Skeletal Pirate). When I got to Celestia, they used storm lord. Yea that's the point where I figured I needed a questing buddy.

Colin Legendsteed
Level 100

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
My deck has a lot of variety.
I play defensive for the first few rounds, then when my fortify spell runs out, I start to buff my self, loading on tons of damage to my judgement or power nova spell with my large inventory of blades and traps. I attack, then heal myself as soon as I can.
I just repeat this cycle over and over again: set up defense, buff, attack, heal, set up defense, buff, attack, heal.
And I do try to solo the game but of course I make friends on the way who need help and are on the same quest. So sometimes I help them out. The good thing about being a wizard is that I can very easily switch roles of a battle. For example, I can be very offensive like storm or I can just spam heals like life.
What I'm trying to say is that I do very well by myself and with others.