Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

no more cheats in main quest line (rant alert)

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Brynner and Gabriel both make some very-good points.

As an adult with a full-time job, this game used to be an escape from real life.I enjoyed coming home after a long day at the office, to blow off steam with some mindless fun.

My job is stressful, and wanting to pull my hair out constitutes a good day at work. And what better way to relax at the end of it all, than to come home after 13 hours on the clock and settle in for a long night of... more work.

On weekends, when I have the time to spend all day in front of my computer, I may go farming with friends, or do some PvP/crafting if I'm in the mood for a "challenge". During the week, there's no one around and I work 60+ hours: I'd love to knock off a few quests in the ~2 hours between getting home and going to sleep, but most of these cheat instances require time and energy that I just don't have.

Challenges should be tempered with fun, and I'll use Zumba as an example. Before I broke my foot last year, I taught classes at a major fitness club; as a newbie instructor, I was taught that each class must be tailored to the least-experienced participant and the rest can modify the intensity of the workout based on their own experience or comfort level.

I have 8 years of competitive jazz and ballet under my belt, so the routines were much easier for me than for those who did not have my experience. But I toned them down, so that my newbies wouldn't get overwhelmed and walk out. And, in other instructors' classes, I did not ask them to use me as a benchmark for everyone else's wants or needs.

Similarly, the game itself should be playable by everyone. Keep main-arc quests tailored to the most-inexperienced solo player and let the rest of us tailor the level of "challenge" based on our experience/comfort level. If it works for a gym that makes millions of dollars per year, it can work for a video game.

-von

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
sliver moon wolf on May 8, 2014 wrote:
first off i got friends but they never want to help so i know it limited resores on the game number to is if you really want these so bad make it were everybody can relate
one make a butten that say would you like to skip and move onto the next quest you can go back and do the
quest anytime for cheating boss is that way they stay in main quest for some of to fight but keep the last fight of the world the same because then everybody would skip it and it make it were everybody did not have to face them but if they wanted to test them self later go back with friends and do it but taking them out of the main quest i say would make the game lame there apart of it and it cost kl less money just to make a thing to ask you would you like to skip and when you skip it the quest would still be stored in you book but the new quest would pop up and you quest arrow would be set on it amoticmaticlee man my spelling stinks

last thing is don't talk to me like a little kid it vary rude
level100
"make a butten that say would you like to skip and move onto the next quest you can go back and do the
quest anytime for cheating boss is that way they stay in main quest for some of to fight but keep the last fight of the world the same because then everybody would skip it and it make it were everybody did not have to face them but if they wanted to test them self later go back with friends"

If I understood this correctly, you're suggesting that we be able to put these instances on some sort of hold and keep going until we have the time/friends/whatever is required to go back and do them...Except for the plot possibly getting a bit jumbled up in process, this isn't a bad idea.Hopefully you or someone else can expand on it.

FYI: There is a very big difference between talking to someone like a child and putting things into a context relevant to a child.

The first is condescension, and shows a complete lack of respect for the other person. The second is simply making things relevant to someone younger, which will help them to better understand the situation because it's in terms they relate to.

When I was a little wizard, I was very bad at math and didn't understand a word of what the teacher was explaining in class. But when I went to him for help after school, he explained the lessons to me in plain English (rather than math-speak, which means nothing to me) and that was the only way that any of it made sense.
For example, if I talk about work, overtime, and getting promoted/demoted/kicked in the mouth by the evil HR lady... Most children won't understand that, because they have never experienced it and the situation is not one they would be able to relate to. But if you describe the exact same scenario in terms they understand (ie: homework, friends, and teachers who are unfair graders), it's relevant to them and makes sense because it's in their own language.-vonexalted

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
mmoluvr on May 9, 2014 wrote:
I can appreciate those that argue to keep Wizard101 as is and retain the "cheat" duels in place for the purpose of a good challenge. The monotonous steps of "Blade", "Trap" and then build enough Pips to potentially one-shot your enemy gets old well before the zone of Avalon.

However, I would like those who feel so strongly in favor of leave it as is to momentarily consider this please. I have multiple family members who play this game. One of them is too young to formulate strategies that would insure them a victory over some of the content I have completed as a solo player. The other is far too busy to endure hours of game play after a full day of RL (Real Life).

I have played other MMOs that required much more of my time and energy, and I'm very happy to have left that type of gameplay. the theme/format of Wizard101, in my opinion, is not the best choice for those that prefer a high level of constant intensity/challenge. In a game rated for Ten year olds, having a turn-based style combat system, with a maximum of 4 vs .4, ask yourself, how much of a challenge were you expecting?

Teens to adults with the ability to formulate strategies and/or research others who are kind enough to post their methods insuring victory will do well in this genre of game. A young child who is limited on play time and internet access would perform considerably less favorably when faced with a "cheat" duel scenario.
The older player who comes to Wizard101 for an escape from RL, (as these games should just be a hobby and not dominate our lives ), is aware of certain beneficial gear/items, but may not have the time, or energy to obtain them, or progress as fast.

I truly don't feel there can be a hardcore player in this game, just those with more time/money on their hands.

Best of luck to all of us in the Spiral, and may we get "most" of what we wish for

Gabriel
This is perfectly stated. I can't agree more. Thank you.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, but it's really hard to understand what you are trying to say, exactly. I do get the gist of it, but because your typing is so bad, it hurts my eyes trying to get a better understanding of what you are trying to say.

Taking cheating bosses out of the main storyline will not ruin the game. There are many of you out there who play the hardcore console games and computer games, and it seems to me, you expect all games you play to be all the same in terms of how hard it is. Not all games are or should be designed this way. W101 is a turn-style, story-based game, and it's original design is to make it casual and fun for the entire family.

The first arc is a great example of casual play. You're not overloaded with a bunch of extra buff spells you have to pack in your deck, you don't need a perfect/super pet to help you get through battles, the storyline is fun to follow, and there is dropped gear that you can actually wear that will help you. As you progress, your stats raise as well as the difficulty of the area/world.

In the second arc, the difficulty of the bad guys start to increase more than your wizard. Decent gear drops become worse and worse, until you get to the point where bazaar and dropped gear is useless. Here is where you start the extra, more challenging spells you need to defend against.

At the end of the second arc, it's come to this: Every time you go into battle you have to adjust your deck. As much as you would like what you need to be easily accessible, it just doesn't happen any more. Colossal, mend, sharpen, potent, a variety of heals, shields, etc, are clogging up decks. Now we have shadow spells. It's become so convoluted that most can't see straight. What happened to the casualness we started with?

The gap between the bad guys and wizards have increased exponentially. The gear I see people wear is frighteningly bad. Do I mock them as others of you do? No. Not everyone can spend the money or amount of time to get the best of the best, so they must do what they can with what they have.

I am a hardcore player, I freely admit it. BUT, I do not think the game should cater to me, it needs to cater to as many casual players as possible so they don't leave the game out of frustration. I see both sides of the coin, and I will stick up for those who can not speak here on the boards themselves, and for those who are afraid to, (because of the way some of you mock them).

So, please take the blinders off and take a look at those around you and understand that not everyone plays like you do.
Again, wonderfully said. I very much appreciate your contributions to these boards.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
BrynnerOfReign on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Sorry, but it's really hard to understand what you are trying to say, exactly. I do get the gist of it, but because your typing is so bad, it hurts my eyes trying to get a better understanding of what you are trying to say.

Taking cheating bosses out of the main storyline will not ruin the game. There are many of you out there who play the hardcore console games and computer games, and it seems to me, you expect all games you play to be all the same in terms of how hard it is. Not all games are or should be designed this way. W101 is a turn-style, story-based game, and it's original design is to make it casual and fun for the entire family.

The first arc is a great example of casual play. You're not overloaded with a bunch of extra buff spells you have to pack in your deck, you don't need a perfect/super pet to help you get through battles, the storyline is fun to follow, and there is dropped gear that you can actually wear that will help you. As you progress, your stats raise as well as the difficulty of the area/world.

In the second arc, the difficulty of the bad guys start to increase more than your wizard. Decent gear drops become worse and worse, until you get to the point where bazaar and dropped gear is useless. Here is where you start the extra, more challenging spells you need to defend against.

At the end of the second arc, it's come to this: Every time you go into battle you have to adjust your deck. As much as you would like what you need to be easily accessible, it just doesn't happen any more. Colossal, mend, sharpen, potent, a variety of heals, shields, etc, are clogging up decks. Now we have shadow spells. It's become so convoluted that most can't see straight. What happened to the casualness we started with?

The gap between the bad guys and wizards have increased exponentially. The gear I see people wear is frighteningly bad. Do I mock them as others of you do? No. Not everyone can spend the money or amount of time to get the best of the best, so they must do what they can with what they have.

I am a hardcore player, I freely admit it. BUT, I do not think the game should cater to me, it needs to cater to as many casual players as possible so they don't leave the game out of frustration. I see both sides of the coin, and I will stick up for those who can not speak here on the boards themselves, and for those who are afraid to, (because of the way some of you mock them).

So, please take the blinders off and take a look at those around you and understand that not everyone plays like you do.
ok to me these was a little rude but i do understand what you are saying and i understand not everyone plays like me but i been threw anything that you could have gone threw on the game expect the weird stuff like dating off topic but i still think that weird and if you can answer these plz do why do players date on these game and have family and stuff like that i mean don't they know it a game? back on topic but that why i made my other post plz read the post before these one and i think you would like it the one guy put it in more clear words if you read mine then the Dr last post i seen yet also off topic again if you still looking for topics to go on try the one i made it called wizard101 need a update to make it cooler

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Dr Von on May 6, 2014 wrote:
Anthony said: It isn't much work to just hit up the wiki or Duelist101 where they literally hand feed you everything about the battle.

That's not the point. The point is that a game, which is supposed to be fun, should not require any research or more work than my actual job; if that's the case, then KI should pay me by the instanceor market the game aswork (at least it's honest).Icey said: Oh, it's so hard to go to a website and type in the boss's name and, god forbid, READ.

I read for fun, but I digress. What makes you think that someone who already works 60 hours a week wants to come home and unwind from a crappy day at the office by doing more work?@Finn~ you're only one hour behind me. If your schedule is anything like mine, we may be able to get together in the Spiral at some point; I'm around most weekends, and some weeknights after10 PM Atlantic time, and I'd love to meet your wizard.

-vonexalted
Hey Von,

I have been meaning to get back to you for a while. It would be great to meet your wizard too sometime. A weeknight after 10pm Atlantic would work possibly, or also possibly a weekend. But things have been a little crazy lately which is why I have not written back yet. This weekend I am out of town, and next week is looking busy too, but there may be an opening in there on one of those nights, provided we don't run too late -- At this point Tuesday the 27th looks the most likely option, starting at 10pm or so. Otherwise we would probably have to look to the following week.

Also, what was the other site you mentioned for getting in touch with you? Does that have a direct message option or something? I guess if I get around to it that might make things easier.

And thanks for keeping up the good fight! I myself get tired of it now and then, and now is one of those times. I really wish people could just be more understanding and kind, and create space for those of us who really enjoy a light and delightful game for "young wizards." There is enough of a rat-race in the real world; we don't need to import it into the Spiral as well!

--Finn