Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Couch Potatos wither WAY too quickly

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
I come on every 24 hours to check them. Between school and chores, I have a busy day. So why, whenever I get on, are my plants withered? Really? Do I have to check them every minute?

Survivor
Jun 15, 2011
The Spiral Twister on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
I come on every 24 hours to check them. Between school and chores, I have a busy day. So why, whenever I get on, are my plants withered? Really? Do I have to check them every minute?
I completely understand this. I had the same problem, i stopped gardening because of it. It seemed to only be the couch potatoes to wither so soon. Every thing else was ready for harvesting, but of course, my couch potatoes withered. Eventually, i got so tired of taking care of their needs and having to see them start from the begging of the cycle, just so they could wither again.. i let them die.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
the more of their "likes" you meet, the less they wither. i have a couch potato garden in my red barn farm. i have carefully met all of their likes and when i check them once per day nothing is ever withered. find their likes on the wiki. i believe they are : litter, sandwich station, fairy, red barn farm, and king parsley. once you do this they are super easy to grow. never more than a rank two pest and only two regular needs. i always encourage my friends to grow them. good luck.

Amber Raven Song

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The Spiral Twister on Apr 8, 2014 wrote:
You must be leaving plants with needs when you leave the game. If you check your plants once a day and deal with needs they won't ever wither. Part of the problem you may be having is visiting your house too much without taking care of needs. You should check your garden when you login, and once more when you log out. Other than that, stay away from it. This week I haven't played live realm at all, since test realm is open. I have logged into live once a day to check garden and that's it. I have loads of couch potatoes growing between my wizards, I've never had one wither by just checking them once a day.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
I tend to mine twice a day. Only takes a few minutes each time, so it doesn't disrupt normal daily routine. Pop in once in the morning and once early evening, tend plants and go about your day.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
You don't need all the likes. My patch has a garden gnome, and its in my red barn farm. I never bothered hunting down litter or the sandwich station, or even planting king parsley though I have seeds for it. I usually visit the patch once a day, but have gone two days with no problems.

One thing though, when you visit you have to take care of ALL the needs. If you leave one need on any plant for more than a few hours its going to wither. Don't visit the house unless you have the energy to take care of all the needs. Couch potatoes don't have a lot of needs but if you have several plots you may run out of energy trying to see to the needs with single plant spells. The medium area spells don't work so well either as large plots are so far apart. You really need the large size growing spells to get the whole garden in one shot. As a side benefit its much quicker to cast one area spell than a bunch of individual ones. Marley the mooshu garden trainer will sell you the large growing spells. They cost 5K gold each but you only need 2 for couch potatoes, water and music. The bug spells are all "large" area by default, and you only need the zapper for type 1 bugs to tend couch potatoes. If you see something odd flying around after you use your bug spell that's a pixie, which helps, not hurts, the plants.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
I am having the same aggravating problem. I have a couch potato garden and they had 11 minutes till elder. 5 of them wilted and once I took care of the needs, they went ALL THE WAY back to young. It happened to me 2 times. I check on the plants and take care of the needs at least twice a day and it still wilted.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Beecaster24 on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
I am having the same aggravating problem. I have a couch potato garden and they had 11 minutes till elder. 5 of them wilted and once I took care of the needs, they went ALL THE WAY back to young. It happened to me 2 times. I check on the plants and take care of the needs at least twice a day and it still wilted.
The problem is going to your home when you aren't checking them. Needs only appear when you visit your home. Don't visit your home after filling the needs. It's that simple, they cannot wilt.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I visit the garden exactly 3 times daily to prevent Couch Potato failures. However, if something holds me up and I can't make it back within 12 hours, there is a good chance something will have withered.

The new gardening spells are extremely nice, since they prevent needs for a while. It gives me room to go have a life. It's loathsome that they're only available after nearly 100 levels though. Can we get treasure card versions in a card pack please?

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I have never had a single couch potato seed wither.

The best advice I can offer is keep a separate house for your plants. Don't keep it equipped! Don't visit it unless you have the energy required to tend to all potential needs. Keep a different house equipped for use of your bank, or to decorate or play games and gauntlets at. If you don't have a second house yet leave nothing equipped and it will take you back to your dorm.

If you don't like constantly equipping and unequipping houses have a "main" house and use teleporters to connect your homes. Teleporter recipes can be bought in Celestia and crafted

Plants will only develop needs when you visit your house. (Or other people). Don't leave friends in your house to wonder around, you plants may develops needs while they are there.

If you don't have the energy to tend to pests, water and music for all the couch potatoes you currently have, don't visit you house. You can even skip days at a time not visiting and they won't wither (they won't progress to the next phase until to tend to them though)

Calamity PixieShade, level 100

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
They never wither for me either. As others have said:

--Plant needs are triggered to show up when you go to the house where your garden is located.

--So put your garden in a separate house from your main house -- preferably the Red Barn Farm. Connect this to your main house with teleporters for convenience.

--Only go to your garden house when you have full energy to tend to needs.

--Put the plant "likes" in the area you have your plants growing.

With these tips I tend couch potatoes once daily, and never have any problems. They are an easy to care for and very reliable source of mega snacks and other goodies.

Hope this helps. Happy gardening!