Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Journey as a Life Wizard Has Come to An End...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 21, 2010
I have struggled with the lack of spells in Wizard City-Krokotopia...
I have lacked an AoE in Marleybone-Zafaria...
I lacked resist and block in Zafaria-Avalon...
I suffered without criticals in my heals in Azteca...
In Khrysalis, it's my time to reign.

Hello Wizards! As you can see, I've struggled many times throughout Wizard101. Yes, I am a solo player, unless I meet someone on the road with my quests. I began to doubt life, when I was level 48. I was stuck with Centaur, my strongest spell until level 58. I had the healing tree at level 48, and I was like "Come on!" All the other schools get "cool" spells! But not really...

Well, since I went so far, I was basically forced to go with my life. I actually enjoyed it, especially my time in Azteca. People doubt it, because it has no "strong" spells. Well, okay. I agree. But if I can get the job done, nothing is weak to me.

Now that I've kind of caught up to KI, and will have to wait more often PVP'ing, helping, farming, etc, I've decided to create a new wizard, a new generation. I still got one more place to go in Khrysalis Part 1, but I am about 2/3 done. I got my Shadow Magic today. I'm not exactly sure what school I should choose? Not balance, I already had one of those. My opinions are ice, or myth.

Why ice? I love to work defensively. Yeah, people say we are weak in damage, but we are extremely high in resist, and especially in health. By the time I can get to level 80, I would have about 6k max HP, and about 40-50 resist, or more! If I can take hits and not die too fast, I can take my time and blade, trap, feint, etc and use my finishing touch. And I will always train feint, to add that damage in there.

Why myth? Not sure. Never tried this, and I want to see if people say this 'horrible' school is horrible.

So, if you can give me some opinions or suggestions, that'll be great!

PS. Wish me luck on my further adventures with Angel Hunter!

Angel Hunter, 95 Promethean

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I found Myth to be a LOT easier than Ice for solo play. It is the only one of my wizards that can solo Tartarus easily. The method of gameplay takes a little getting used to. Using minions a lot more than other schools at low levels. The double attacks are great for getting around shields (but a pain for traps). I look at Myth as very much an offensive school rather than defensive. If you prefer to spend a lot of time shielding and healing yourself, Ice is probably better.

Promethean

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
My original wizard is Life - what you explain is what we deal with. No acknowlegement of the fact that we can be dealers as well as healers. Back then I didn't know any better and forged on. I am not sorry I did. My Life wizard is very powerful and very helpful if need be. I mainly soloed the game up to the end of Zafaria and have to say I think I made the best of what I was given for that school. It is the only wizard that I may keep up with the game and continue on with into newer worlds.

Ice Ice Baby: http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/ice-ice-baby-a-comprehensive-pve-ice-guide/
This school has become my fav but - it took me a very long time to warm up to that school - pun intended. Now I really like the wizard I have formed from that school. It's great solo or in group play it is so all rounded. I built mine over time for pure damage and with boosts from Sun spells and feints I can deal it. With my Frankinbunny's Unicorn/Sprite and 2 healing current cards I can group support well also. Like Life though expect a slow but sure trek with this school. Building power into these schools does take time.

Myth - well I am an underdog type so this school fits me well - not wanting to do Avalon with more then one wizard, back when it first came out, I deleted my Myth wizard and now want it back and have started a new one. I find a lot in the game gear wise that has improved since my first Myth wizard. I find it a bit more difficult for solo play as apposed to Life, Death Ice or even Storm but it can be done. Like Balance this school requires a little more thought to get it off the ground.

Happy trails no matter which you choose young wizard. I can say all schools have their pros and cons it's all about how you get them to work for you instead of against you. Every school has potential you just have to find it.

Mary

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Angel Hunter on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
I have struggled with the lack of spells in Wizard City-Krokotopia...
I have lacked an AoE in Marleybone-Zafaria...
I lacked resist and block in Zafaria-Avalon...
I suffered without criticals in my heals in Azteca...
In Khrysalis, it's my time to reign.

Hello Wizards! As you can see, I've struggled many times throughout Wizard101. Yes, I am a solo player, unless I meet someone on the road with my quests. I began to doubt life, when I was level 48. I was stuck with Centaur, my strongest spell until level 58. I had the healing tree at level 48, and I was like "Come on!" All the other schools get "cool" spells! But not really...

Well, since I went so far, I was basically forced to go with my life. I actually enjoyed it, especially my time in Azteca. People doubt it, because it has no "strong" spells. Well, okay. I agree. But if I can get the job done, nothing is weak to me.

Now that I've kind of caught up to KI, and will have to wait more often PVP'ing, helping, farming, etc, I've decided to create a new wizard, a new generation. I still got one more place to go in Khrysalis Part 1, but I am about 2/3 done. I got my Shadow Magic today. I'm not exactly sure what school I should choose? Not balance, I already had one of those. My opinions are ice, or myth.

Why ice? I love to work defensively. Yeah, people say we are weak in damage, but we are extremely high in resist, and especially in health. By the time I can get to level 80, I would have about 6k max HP, and about 40-50 resist, or more! If I can take hits and not die too fast, I can take my time and blade, trap, feint, etc and use my finishing touch. And I will always train feint, to add that damage in there.

Why myth? Not sure. Never tried this, and I want to see if people say this 'horrible' school is horrible.

So, if you can give me some opinions or suggestions, that'll be great!

PS. Wish me luck on my further adventures with Angel Hunter!

I have wizards of every school. I solo with all of them. I love all of them and I'd be hard pressed to point to a favorite. I will say that my first wizard was ice and it may be the most intuitive school for me personally. Myth is a bit tricky, frankly, but it has tremendous potential once you get the hang of minions. I think my recommendation would largely be based on how often you solo.

If you solo a lot, I'd recommend myth... but here's the caveat: A LOT of Myth's potential lies in using minions, especially at the beginning of the game. Because of the current minion dynamic, this is dangerous in crowded realms where others can (and do) join your circle. If you have your deck set up for minions and there are no rings to summon them to, it kind of leaves you in a lurch.

As to ice as a solo... this may just be me, but without crowns gear (or hand-me-downs from other wizards) there is no other school with whom I have struggled so much at the beginning. I didn't die very often, but the battles lasted forever and it was always very, very close. A bad string of fizzle would be the end of me. Granted, that was also several years ago and many things have changed since then... just be warned: Ice doesn't gain real offensive power until much later. They don't get the quest for their iceblade, for instance, until level 38. Put in perspective, every school but life gets their blade by level 12. Life gets theirs at the end of the krokophinx (level somewhere in the early 20s typically). The big advantage you will have, however, is familiarity with life. The play styles (especially in the beginning) are very similar.

If you team a lot, I would recommend reversing this. I think that ice is a better team player than myth, especially at the start. You get blizzard early and meaningful resist and health fairly early on. While you can't kill many with blizzard, you can certainly draw fire and tank for the group, making it a great team school. Myth is a little more awkward. It can deal more damage with the humungofrog and a blade, but its still often short of the kill and myth just doesn't have enough health or resist to survive the counter-attacks. Still... its mostly in how you play it. Like I said, I have soloed with all 7 schools so any school can be a good support player depending on how you play them.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Life was my original school. It continues to be my favorite and I can not see that changing anytime soon. I have mostly soloed life throughout the all the worlds until the final bosses in khrysalis. The exceptions would be Tower of the Helephant and Tartaraus.

My second wizard is a close second to life. Fire. He is both strong and has defenses. Maybe not as high of resistance than ice, but that just makes it more challenging. The hit's may not be quite as strong as storm's, but it is still the second strongest school in the game. Basically, it is a great balance between the two schools. So I would suggest fire.

And just an fyi on other schools I have started/tried. Death, got bored and with it and deleted after lvl 22. Storm, got bored and he is stalled on lvl 32. Balance, beyond annoying because of all the fizzles, so he is stalled on lvl 11. Ice, well, maybe it's because I love my fire wiz so much, he was deleted after only a couple lvl's too. Myth is going to be my next school to try, after the second half of khrysalis is completed.

Steven Hawk
Lvl 95 Promethean

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
In my opinion, Ice is a pretty easy school to solo. My Ice has soloed the entire game and all the side dungeons. I have found a good balance between being offense and defense with my Ice and she's a literal tank in the game. My first wizard was Balance (wrong choice), my second was Ice, and I was blown away with how cool Ice is (pun intended). She's now L95 and the only one that has gone through Khrysalis pt1 (I won't be taking anyone else, because I can't stand that world). Ice needs to buff more than other schools to get a decent hit, but that's one reason they have such good resist and health!

If I want to go more defensive with my Ice, I can leave her resist the way it is (totally awesome), increase my health to almost 6500, reduce crit, reduce damage (to 34), and increase block (200+). If I want to go more on the offensive, I can decrease health (to 5300), increase crit (to 292), decrease block (to 131), decrease pips & healing, decrease block substantially, and increase damage to 57.

My Myth is L74 and is currently in Avalon. I haven't worked on her for a while, but I found Myth is one of my favorite schools. She advanced through levels faster than my Ice did. It takes a bit of finesse to learn Myth and what it can do, but it's a lot of fun! With my Myth, Humungofrog is a main staple, as I can spam it against the enemies with very few blades and it does a decent amount of damage. Personally, I have not used my minions since Celestia, and my Myth does just fine with spells and buffs that she is given.

Although my Myth doesn't have nearly as much health as my Ice, she does have great resist (42 universal), great block, decent critical for her level, good damage (57 or 63 depending on which pet I use), and much better accuracy boosts than my Ice.

Good luck in your choice!

Survivor
May 10, 2013
I had a myth wizard that I got up to a pretty high level, like 50. But I found that the school got a little boring seeing as it mainly focuses on minions. I think they would both be good solo characters. I have an ice right now and I am liking it way better than my old myth character. The side quests you get for myth school spells are all minions. I just think it is not as fun.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
The max most have being ice around level 95 is in the low 5,000's, so you would not hit 6,000 by level 80.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2010
Thank you for all of those helpful tips on which school to pick. I am kind of leaning toward ice because as I said before it can deal damage, and absorb at the same time with feints packed up. Yes, I've read the one about being a tad bit close to defeating a boss from a fizzle, but I am a smart young player as I can call myself, only 12 at the moment.

The ice blade is not really a problem, until I really get into Dragonspyre. My life Wizard entered DS at around 40? 41? By then, I can stack my blades, (elemental, and ice) probably a treasure card one too, and blizzard all the way until I get my Frost Giant.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, and I'd love to read some more later on. Good day!