Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life Wizards vs. Life Bosses

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
my life wizard is now at a point where every quest involves killing a life boss... which means i have to find help or i am now stuck with no doable quests...

i like to solo... but these are impossible to solo... why?... because although every school has to deal with high resistance for bosses of their own school... only life wizards have to deal with life bosses that have high resistance (85%), massive hit points, AND unlimited self-heals!

what makes these fight so very frustrating is that i am in no danger at all of being defeated... but these bosses seem content with just surviving... and that is a win for them... it can take me 15 minutes to get just 1000 damage on them... then they heal it all back in one minute via one cast of Regenerate...

i know nothing will change about this... but battles which are intentionality designed to be stalemates for (in this case life) wizards are not at all fun... and extreme time drains to gain nothing...

so i guess i have to find someone who will help me to do these quests...

the worst case is that the quest to get what i think is Tree Lord spell... which requires killing a life boss with like 8000 hit points and 90% resistance... which in effect means she has 80,000 hit points... and HEAL... and no real reason for anyone other than other life wizards to help...

i would love to use morphing... BUT... i have a chicken and egg problem... in that i need to get past these bosses to get to the moon morphing spells/characters that do damage... and i need the morphing spells to get past those bosses... catch 22...

personally... i think the combo of heal, high hit points (health), and high resistance is a bit unfair to the life class... but i am prejudice... :)

Explorer
Jul 13, 2010
Have you tried using prisms? They are a really great help for bosses of your own school.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Peteroid69 on Apr 5, 2014 wrote:
my life wizard is now at a point where every quest involves killing a life boss... which means i have to find help or i am now stuck with no doable quests...

i like to solo... but these are impossible to solo... why?... because although every school has to deal with high resistance for bosses of their own school... only life wizards have to deal with life bosses that have high resistance (85%), massive hit points, AND unlimited self-heals!

what makes these fight so very frustrating is that i am in no danger at all of being defeated... but these bosses seem content with just surviving... and that is a win for them... it can take me 15 minutes to get just 1000 damage on them... then they heal it all back in one minute via one cast of Regenerate...

i know nothing will change about this... but battles which are intentionality designed to be stalemates for (in this case life) wizards are not at all fun... and extreme time drains to gain nothing...

the worst case is that the quest to get what i think is Tree Lord spell... which requires killing a life boss with like 8000 hit points and 90% resistance... which in effect means she has 80,000 hit points... and HEAL... and no real reason for anyone other than other life wizards to help...

i would love to use morphing... BUT... i have a chicken and egg problem... in that i need to get past these bosses to get to the moon morphing spells/characters that do damage... and i need the morphing spells to get past those bosses... catch 22...

personally... i think the combo of heal, high hit points (health), and high resistance is a bit unfair to the life class... but i am prejudice... :)
I put a lot of time into my Life wizard, it was my first wizard. I mostly soloed though the end of Zafaria including Wintertusk. I continued on to AV only to help a family member and now am in the Kr part 1 world which none of my other wizards will probably see.

Proper use of your Prism and a death wand helps keep life monsters in check. If you set your prism before the life monster puts out the death shield the shield won't count so you can cast a spell and it will be converted to death. Wand the shield off before you set the next prism. Note in Zafaria the death shielding stops so there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

As for Forest Lord here is somewhat of a guide to help you prepare for that battle.
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?249723-Gristletusk-s-Final-Destination

Granted Life can be a slow play but once you get to Forest Lord you can start to build a very powerful wizard that has the ability to heal and deal. I am a hit and run player so it's all about timing and using the least of it to defeat the monster(s) at hand.

I trained Death to Feint as soon as points allowed it, the tri blade and trap from Niles in Krock land and then started the Sun Spells at level 50 in Celestia (fists) though Drum Jungles Colossus. I crafted the helmet from Wintertusk for the extra blade. I became true to the school and focused on taking extra spells that enhanced my school given ones. Later with Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap you can stack a lot for even more power.

A properly played Life wizard rarely has to use heals, it only ends up prolonging the battles. My Life wizard carries one Sprite in her regular boss deck and rarely has to use it.

Mary

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
It takes time, but there is no such thing as an unbeatable boss. I am also a life wizard (level 79) so i have had to fight bosses to get spells, and my level 48,58, and 78 pets. It took me awhile but i managed to defeat them. In Avalon I had to fight a life boss and kept getting defeated but I still beat it after the 5th or 6th time. I get your annoyance but it is possible.
Grace DreamRider

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Don't you have a prism that converts damage intodamage? Then, the damage you do will boost.
Saffron Sandsword
Grandmaster

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010

I have found the key to be setting up either one hit knockout or a high damage combo so that there is no time to heal. I would be happy to help, but I don't think these forums are very good for setting up meets due to the time it takes to actually post. If you would like to give me some information about yourself and what bosses you are going up against, I'd be happy to help you strategize. I would specifically be looking for level, gear, and how you spent your training points as well as the name of the boss you are dealing with.

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
I remember having trouble with Alicane Swiftarrow.

Cole GoldenFlame, Level 37 Pyromancer

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
15 Mins to deal 1000? Maybe you need better gear. I'm only level 55 and can solo life bosses with ease yet I'm life. And at the moment, my gear is TERRIBLE. Btw, the resistance on a boss should not matter, use convert and all that resistance is gone, with an addition of a boost. Also bosses don't heal regularly.

Maybe you need a new tactic? Try using a strategy with a deck with some dispels, Life shields, converts and gear dedicated to resisting life damage as well as decent damage. Take my storm for e.g. we have the lowest health in game and fizzle the most yet deal the most damage. Seems very hard to solo with right? I solo'd most of the game with that, due to changing decks, gear etc. Now storm vs storm would sound real hard, I mean, with very low health and extreme damage I could die instantly right? Nope, I shield up a lot and just play it carefully. I now get happy when fighting storm, since I find them VERY easy due to so much battling with them. btw are you using a good pet?

I'd say life vs life bosses are a bit too easy sometimes. They rarely even put death shields meaning I can deal enough damage to kill them quickly. Btw, did you train in the right secondary schools? Ice and death is the best path, other secondary schools will quickly become useless without a mastery amulet. Plus, you'll be using your school spells a lot.

If you think life has it hard, try Ice vs ice bosses. Lol. Also, no boss is impossible to solo except about 3 in the whole game (Cheaters) Just change up your deck, learn from your mistakes and you'll soon master the Life school.

Good luck :)

95 Angus Ghostriver
55 Blaze Lifebreeze

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I don't know what level you are so my apologies for not knowing what spells you have trained, be they Life or your secondary school if you have one.

When fighting baddies of your same school, that's the time to make use of your school's prism. To hit extra damage with a Life spell lay the prism out first then add a Life Trap. Stack different blades then go for a big hit with a Life spell. You can supplement this battle style by making use of your secondary school's attack spells

As for baddies healing.... yep, that's why I try to take them out as fast as possible. Infection or Mass Infection treasure cards from the Bazaar help.

Good luck!

Miranda Nightsinger, Archmage Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Adept Pyromancer

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
It would appear you are new to this game. put simply, there is something called a "Life Prism"
This converts all life damage to death damage. Do this before you put any life traps on a boss, and then not only will you no longer have to deal with resist, you will have a boost to your damage.

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl48
John FrostShard - lvl35

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
Have you thought about a Life Prism??? it turns Life damage to death damage and 99% of the time gives a boost to the damage and you don't have to worry about the life resistance. There are life dispels and Gnomes which is high damage and leaves 2 life dispels.

Hope this helps

Angel lvl 92 ice
and others

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
do you stack life prisms in your deck? these convert life damage to death damage thus going around their solid 80% resist.
you can also train death to feint, this will help you with your big hits adding a 70% trap to your opponent.
another thing if you dont have spirit blades from niles the balance tree id recemend buying these too.

now as for polymorphs i would actually say that going for these spells is rather pointless. in higher worlds its better just to blade and use forest lord on mobs and gnomes, centaur the bosses. in the later worlds these spells become quite a dangerous move to use, with the higher crit rates and with some having no resist and even boosts to some schools your left at a big disavantage.

i would recemend training to get to gargantuan and colossal when you arrive in zafaria.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
...wut.
For one thing, it's FOREST lord. I'm pretty sure that you should be able to acquire polymorphs at level 58. Also... prisms. If you are in Celestia and you still don't understand prisms, you need help. I first figured out the tricky little things in Savarstaad Pass, you should know about them by now. Prisms switch the spell damage to the opposite school, so instead of resisting your attack, the boss will actually take MORE damage. I shudder to think of you trying to hit through boss resist all the way up to Celestia...
By Bartleby, I can't believe I just had to explain prisms to a grandmaster.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Easy solution: use Life Prism. Also, we all have to deal with High Resist. And us Death Wizards have to deal with damage and heal spells, too.

-Nick level 95
"Waiting for Khrysalis part 2 to go live"

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Make use of your prisms. Fighting same school enemies is the reason for them. In the worlds before Celestia, many of the life enemies will use death shields. If you get your prism out before they use the death shield, then there is no problem. If they do use the death shields before you use a prism then you will have to find a way to remove the shield.

For most of the game I used a death wand on my Life wizard. This allowed me to remove the death shields without using blades. I also keep a stock of Pierce treasure cards in my deck. The pierce cards are also good to use against tower shields.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

as a life wizard, i feel obligated to weigh in... and i think you're overreacting.

1) you have a prism.

all bosses have 85-90% resist to their own school, which is why you have a prism: make friends with it, and use it frequently. at your level (which i'm guessing is between 50-60, based on the info given in this post), you should be well aware of this.

ps: carry a death wand. life bosses tend to shield against death, so this will get rid of those annoying shields without affecting your blades.

2) npc enemies do not heal like a player does.

once in a while, yes. but they don't heal *that* frequently (hence why, as a death wizard, i find my infection spell to be completely useless).

3) what gear are you wearing, and what's in your deck?

these two things can make or break you. if you can let us know the details on both of those, we can assist you further.

point is, if i can do 5000 damage per enemy with a forest lord (without critical), then so can you.

4) don't bother with morphs.

when you polymorph, you lose ALL stat boosts: damage, resist, crit block... all gone. dealing another school's damage won't help you if you can't survive those massive hits, and you put yourself at a serious disadvantage.

-

you have the exact same tools available to you as everyone else. whether you use them or not is up to you, but your unwillingness to use them does not make any of it "unfair".

-von
promethean x3

Explorer
May 13, 2013

Um I pretty sure you didn't mention this in your message. In wizards, there is this thing called life prism (I'm not trying to be sarcastic). It converts your life attack to a death attack. Then, your life attacks will boast since it was converted to death. Hope this helps!

Pokebow
Lvl24 (In getting there)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
UPDATE: i was able to get through most of life boss quests i mentioned above via the 'Team Up' button...

i now have some polymorph spells... which will aid in fighting life bosses from here on out...

i still have not tried to re-tackle the one boss needed to get the spell 'tree lord'... but that boss has the unfortunate aspect that it is not in an instance... so there is no 'Team Up!' button...

Survivor
Aug 22, 2011
Hey man I know how you feel life level 72 I have spirit blade and life blade and maybe a feint on my colossal gnome only does 1000

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
It sounds like you aren't utilizing your Life Prisms correctly. If you put down a life prism on a life or myth boss, (myth for celestia and beyond only) it will convert that life into death damage. Thus making the boss boost instead of resist. Life bosses don't heal commonly, and when they do, it's more than likely a heal over time. There's an ice spell to counter that, and you can kill it before the heal is done.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
don't Prisms only work for ONE spell? ... and one can't predict whether prism will come up... and one can only have so many Prism cards in a deck... so at best, one can use Prism seven times, and that is assuming they come up sooner than the damage spells that one wants to use them with...

i don't even equip Prisms for this reason.. too specific a reason to use and not reliable... and so far i am lethal against anything except life bosses... which i don't die to, i just sometimes can't kill...

i think the solution is to get others to help in these cases... which is what i did... and worked fine! :)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
"point is, if i can do 5000 damage per enemy with a forest lord (without critical), then so can you."

chicken and egg problem... i am talking about what is needed to GET Forest Lord... :)

"you have the exact same tools available to you as everyone else. whether you use them or not is up to you, but your unwillingness to use them does not make any of it "unfair"."

first... i was making a personal value judgement and a commentary... not asking for advice.. though advice is always welcome! :)

yes i have the same tools... but there are so many combinations of tools (via deck construction) and ways to use them... don't confuse not doing it your way with doing it wrong! :)

as i said in my follow up post, i have already passed all but one of the 'problem' bosses i mentioned... so i must be doing something right! :)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2014
"It would appear you are new to this game. put simply, there is something called a "Life Prism""

being 'new' to the game is relative to your own 'newness'... i have been playing for like 2 months now to answer your implied question... (and this sounds a bit like a condescending reply, but i will let it slide)...

i don't think prism is a very good spell... you can't be sure when it will come up, it can only be used seven times, and all sorts of things can prevent it from being effective (e.g., dispel)...

if a boss has 8000 hit points and heal... then each use of prism better land about 1500 damage... so they must be used on large damage spells... and again, no guarantee when these will come up, or which will come up first, etc. ... and i do not like to rely on treasure cards...

to me... the solution is to just group in these cases... not everything needs to be soloed (something i am just learning myself)... :)

Explorer
Aug 06, 2008
Looks like its been said a hundred times over, but use prisms to convert your damage!! Also, I HIGHLY recommend NOT wasting any training points on moon school spells. You will never use any of them in the future and you'll wish you hadn't bought them. You lose all of your normal stats instantly, you might as well not bring any gear into a fight if you do that, and your gear is what makes your wizard powerful. So to sum up, say YES to prisms, say NO to moon spells. best of luck!
Adam Seafist 95
Adam DawnStalker 76