Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The School of Time

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 16, 2009
Yes yes, this has been suggested numerous times and will probably never get implemented into the game, but it's still nice to see what everyone thinks of the ideas.

Time magic focuses on controlling the flow of battle, throwing strikes into the future, and calling attacks from the past. This school has a few "gimmicks" in mind that makes it more interesting. Some spells act like auras but they aren't auras, so keep that in mind. The School of Time would be in a side quest line.

First let's cover the gimmicks of the school. The asterisks represent a gimmick that will apply to a spell.
1) *Damaging spells such has "Temporal Strike" gains 2% more power as each round passes. I chose 2% because if you make it 10% it would be too much. It becomes a snowball effect that gets to big, too fast.
Damaging spells from the school of time deal damage based on your primary school. The 2% increase does affect the spell if it has been already cast, but it will only apply on the second strike.

Restrictions:
You may only have one "global" time effect active at a time.

Spells:
Temporal Strike* - 2 pips. Single Target. Deals 100 damage now then 200 damage 3 turns later. This is NOT a DOT.

Temporal Shield - 2 pips. Single Ally. Absorbs 50% of damage of next attack then applies the remaining 50% 3 turns later.

Rewind - 4 pips. Global. One use per battle. Resets everyone to the way they were at the beginning of the duel.

Quicken - 0 pip. Self Only. Allows you to go before anyone else for 3 turns. Can counter Jamming. (If others have quicken active, the person who last cast it goes first, then the next caster, etc.)

Jamming - 1 pip. Single Target. Slows the target down so he/she may go last for 3 rounds. Can counter Quicken. (Depending on who was targeted, the person who was last targeted is the slowest.)

Quick Thinker - 1 pip. Self Only. Generates +1 additional pip/power pip for the next 3 turns. No PvP, to keep things fair between other players so you can stack Quicken and Quick Thinker on top of each other.

Time Rift - 4 pips. Team Spell. Allows your team to go first for the next 2 rounds. No PvP, spamming this would only annoy the enemy team. If you want a team speed up in PvP, have everyone equip Quicken.

Training - 2 pips. Self Only. Gives you a +10% universal blade. On the second round, it's broken and replaced by a 20% blade. On the third round, it's broken and replaced with a +40% blade that stays. A blade will appear even if you used the previous charm.

Aging - 2 pips. Single Target. Acts like Training, however the enemy gains a -10% universal charm, then a -20%, then a -40%. Charm behavior is the same.

Blast from the Past* - 2 pips. Single Target. Must have a damaging spell cast on you first. Casts same spell on target for 50% of the damage. Gimmick maxes damage % at 100.

Paradox* - 2 pips. Single Target x2. Pick an enemy to use his chosen spell, then pick a target for the spell to hit. Deals 50% of spell's damage. Gimmick maxes damage % at 100.

Defender
Apr 09, 2011
Survivor
Mar 12, 2012
Based on what you've posted, it seems that the school of time would tip the scales in someone's favor, with spells such as rewind and quicken. As well as the fact that some of these spells are pretty expensive pip-wise, which would altogether make using time spells take longer to save for, and i'm assuming the school of time is for level 90's, which isn't very ethical, as high level wizards usually don't have any training points left over. You also have to consider the complaining that would occur from a lot of people, whether in pvp, or whether bosses start to use this school of magic. I do believe the time school would be a great addition but there a lot of flaws in your case.

Defender
May 16, 2009
xenbay on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
Based on what you've posted, it seems that the school of time would tip the scales in someone's favor, with spells such as rewind and quicken. As well as the fact that some of these spells are pretty expensive pip-wise, which would altogether make using time spells take longer to save for, and i'm assuming the school of time is for level 90's, which isn't very ethical, as high level wizards usually don't have any training points left over. You also have to consider the complaining that would occur from a lot of people, whether in pvp, or whether bosses start to use this school of magic. I do believe the time school would be a great addition but there a lot of flaws in your case.
Indeed there are flaws, however I simply put the raw idea. However, to justify the training points, KI could add more quests other than Zeke's and the guy at Celestia to give training points. It would be for level 90+ because when fighting at those levels, things can get a bit tedious and this school would ease some of it.

Addressing the monster part, if I was the developer and implemented my idea, monsters shouldn't be able to use things like Rewind, Paradox (because it requires two targets), because spells like those would extend battles to twice the length and should really be used in emergencies. Bosses would have access to things like Quicken, Jamming, Aging, Quick Thinker etc., but regular monsters would have access to spells like Temporal Strike and Quicken.

About PvP, people, and pip costs, it's impossible to satisfy everyone. The school focuses on flow of battle, and to be honest, making them all 0 pips would really be kinda cheap. I felt like you should have to pay something to allow yourself to go first, slow someone down, etc. I made Rewind and Time Rift expensive because you're giving everyone or your team a boost/restart. That shouldn't be cheap. Rewind acts like a way to revive all (including enemies) and a reshuffle, which isn't something to be taken lightly. I didn't make Rewind a "No PvP" spell because it affects the enemy team as well as yours, therefore everyone benefits from it. I tried to introduce spells that could counter each other (not the "No PvP" spells) like Quicken/Jamming, and Training/Aging. Having a school with no counter would give someone too much control over the field. Whether people are happy with this idea is entirely up to them. Personally, I think it's more fun to figure out a counter to new types of magic rather than being told how to counter them, but I have a little of both in this case.

@MightySwashbuckler345- The school isn't about damage, it's about control over the flow of battle. The damaging abilities make things interesting however, 2/3 of them require some sort of condition. Blast from the Past won't work if you weren't hit first and Paradox won't work if the target you were going to steal the spell from passes. Temporal Strike is rather weak starting out and requires time to be effective.