Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cheats and Menu Chat.

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
There really needs to be a way to warn people without text chat about boss cheats. I was in Waterworks with a level 86 Ice wizard without text chat. I figured because he was such a high level, he would know the cheats. NOPE. He proceeded to cast no one but two Winter Moons at Sylster (a stun immune boss, not so smart) with no blades/traps, triggering two massive Ras that killed me. Right before the boss died. Entire Waterworks run, up in smoke because one person doesn't know what they're doing and I have no way to tell them.
For those of you who just say "oh use menu chat", here is the process for doing this:
1. I see the rogue spell and recognize it as a screwup.
2. I fumble around in the menu for the phrase to get him to stop.
3. The rogue spell's caster looks at it, probably assumes I'm talking to someone else, and casts it anyway. If he somehow realizes I'm talking to him, he must:
a) figure out why I'm yelling at him
b) change the spell.
All this has to happen in under 30 seconds. That's being generous. Maybe a menu chat phrase saying "Don't cast your spell without a trap" or "Don't cast your spell without a blade" for Waterworks would help. (Other phrases for different cheats) For those of you who don't have text chat, get it. Being a menu chatter doesn't just hurt you, it hurts your team.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2014
Those parents are probably making them Menu Chatters and most are in WC meaning they probably just started playing. Open chat is the best but only get it if you know what your doing and know the Internet well enough. If you don't want to see any bad things, get text. It's not that bad but you can't like say Internet words like Swaggin or something like that so get Text Chat. It's the next best thing and they should get rid of Menu altogether since it really doesn't work.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Mason Raven on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:
Those parents are probably making them Menu Chatters and most are in WC meaning they probably just started playing. Open chat is the best but only get it if you know what your doing and know the Internet well enough. If you don't want to see any bad things, get text. It's not that bad but you can't like say Internet words like Swaggin or something like that so get Text Chat. It's the next best thing and they should get rid of Menu altogether since it really doesn't work.
Um... this is not relevant to my post. The problem is that Menu Chat allows no way to communicate cheats to friends, especially if the boss is very subtle about it, like Sylster's unbuffed attack triggered cheat.

@coolguy2170 Really? Why exactly do I "deserve it"?

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
I completely agree, I often try to avoid playing with menu chat players simply because it is too difficult to communicate with them and they are likely to not know how to fight cheating bosses. Considering menu chat players are younger players, I feel that even if it's not possible to upgrade the menu chat system, KingsIsle should at minimum make cheating bosses easier for those players to understand. In other words, if a boss does not allow traps, I want the game to SCREAM no traps to them. For text and open chat players, leave it as it is. Also, I feel that requiring an age of 13+ to use text chat is a little harsh. Perhaps lower it a little bit, maybe to 10 or 11. Anyways, something needs to be done. Thanks,
Aerier

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Aerier on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I completely agree, I often try to avoid playing with menu chat players simply because it is too difficult to communicate with them and they are likely to not know how to fight cheating bosses. Considering menu chat players are younger players, I feel that even if it's not possible to upgrade the menu chat system, KingsIsle should at minimum make cheating bosses easier for those players to understand. In other words, if a boss does not allow traps, I want the game to SCREAM no traps to them. For text and open chat players, leave it as it is. Also, I feel that requiring an age of 13+ to use text chat is a little harsh. Perhaps lower it a little bit, maybe to 10 or 11. Anyways, something needs to be done. Thanks,
Aerier
You make some good points here. You actually don't have to be 13 to use text chat, but you have to get your parent's permission. Sort of like video game ratings. The real problem is bosses like Sylster whose cheat hurt everyone if somebody screws up. This is further compounded by the fact that Sylster does not mention his cheat against unboosted attacks. Luska's cheat will hit you if you mess up, while leaving the rest of the group mostly untouched (if he uses power like he gets about 800 health, not lethal but annoying).

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
Robobot1747 on Mar 23, 2014 wrote:
Um... this is not relevant to my post. The problem is that Menu Chat allows no way to communicate cheats to friends, especially if the boss is very subtle about it, like Sylster's unbuffed attack triggered cheat.

@coolguy2170 Really? Why exactly do I "deserve it"?
he is mad about the post by the way i never cheat dungeon with menu or mute

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
I agree.

Cole Goldenflame, Level 39 Pyromancer World: Mooshu and Grizzleheim Area: Crimson Fields and Mirkholm Keep

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
Defender
Jun 22, 2011
Aerier on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Aerier
I agree, not only because, back when I was 10, I had text chat and, even when people were stupid and tried to insult me, it was so garbled by the very nature of Text Chat that I couldn't understand it half the time. By all means, get text chat, but wait until you're at least 13 to get Open Chat.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I agree with this thread's suggestion every time I see it.

Why don't we already have this? We've needed it for years.