Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

WaterWorks Gear Needs to be Nerfed

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 10, 2009
So, yesterday I was playing on my Magus Pyromancer when I leveled up to level 35. The first thing I did? Run home, put on the PuppterMaster's Costume that I had been saving for said event, and run to the Bazaar for other new clothes. Of course, the PuppetMaster's Costume is crowns only, so it would be kind of unfair to compare it to regular old clothing, but I believe my boost went up five points and my resist went up four. That's a lot, but its nothing compared to the step-up from DragonSpyre/Celestia clothing to the famed WaterWorks set.

Before Celestia was added, the Mailstare (the robe of which was dropped by Malistare) set was considered by most the max clothing in the game. Ice, which was my first wizards school and the one I know the best, stats are as follows:
Stat | WaterWorks | Mailstare Set
Health | +520 | +443
Accuracy | +3% all | 2% Ice
Crit Block| 18% all | N/A
Block | 12% all | 9% all
Crit. | 27 Ice | N/A
Boost | 14% Ice | 7% Ice
In. Health | 5% | N/A
* Sorry if there's any weird formatting with this

Some of those are, of course, invalid because Critical and Critical Block didn't exist before Celestia, but even the ones that did are overpowered. Like, +7% boost and 3% everything resist (which is a lot because everything resist is unusual).

That step-up isn't too bad of a problem, like its overpowered, but not too overpowered. What really was a mistake on KI's part was not compensating the gear afterwords for it. I've already complained about this on another thread, but, until Taterus, we had level 90s where level 60+ only clothing. You don't see level 60s wearing level 30+ only clothing, or level 40s where level 10+ only.

Now, of course, we have a rival to the WaterWorks set, the Hades set. I've seen many threads complaining about how hard it is to get, especially since only one boss drops it, unlike several did for the WaterWorks and Malistare sets. Nerfing the Waterworks sets would, of course, make KI ner these sets as well, which I think is alright anyways.

Crafting clothing could be seen as better or worse than the WaterWorks set, and it does get better as the worlds go on, a lot of people don't craft clothing, and you used to be able to get decent clothing without it.

While it is unusual that Crowns-only clothing is worse, most gear nowadays pale in comparison to the WaterWorks set. Gone are the days when we farmed just end-of-the-world bosses for decent clothing, now we just put all of our effort into dungeons that are neigh-impossible-to-solo-dungeons that can take hours.

I realize KI probably won't do this, but I would like for you all to hear this concern.

Haley MoonHeart, Promethean Thaumagture

Julia FirePyre, Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
Would it really help anyone if it was nerfed? People already complain about how hard everything is, so I don't think nerfing WW set would exactly help...
I can understand why you think that the crowns gear and higher level gear should be better. But I don't think a nerf would be the best way to do this.

And besides, do you want to lose that amazing gear? :3

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
This wouldn't help anything. The Waterworks gear has been the same since it came out, and no one is complaining. Besides, waterworks gear isn't worth it when you are going to craft your gear like me. I just have to get past Zafaria...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
What dungeons are impossible to solo? Personally I haven't found one yet. Just because you can't do something doesn't make it impossible. Waterworks Gear is really just decent gear that worked for a few worlds until Hades gear came out. There's absolutely no reason to nerf it, it's really not all that great anyways. It's only slightly better than Wintertusk crafted gear. I skipped getting WW gear on my latest wizard and it didn't hurt me at all. All it did was speed my along through the spiral without loads of pointless waterworks runs. Still, I don't understand why any player would want weaker gear for everyone? If you want to wear weaker gear, fine, wear it. That doesn't mean everyone else should. I really don't understand the point of your post.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
LOL is there anything in this game that people won't complain about? I wish people would stop asking for things to be nerfed, and that KI would stop listening to them. I'm tired of having gear, pets, and spells messed up because of jealousy.

WW gear is a bit better than 56 crafted, big whoop. It has been around for years and most people like it.

Get busy farming, or get busy crafting. There are plenty of gear options and no reason to dis other players stuff. I am glad good gear can still be had without crowns (thank you KI!).

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
I'm with Seethe on this one.
WW gear is there for the people who want to farm, sometimes countless hours and runs need to be made, just to get a single piece.
Why Nerf it??

Should we also Nerf the LvL 30 Senators or Zeus Gear, which I wore on my starting characters from 30 to 60 when I trolled WW for weeks to get the upgrade, then wore the WW gear for 30 more levels until I could fit into the Hades gear??

You don't like it, don' twear it.
You don't lik efighting it, learn to adjust your style to your opponents, as the rest of us have to do.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Haley MoonHeart on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:
So, yesterday I was playing on my Magus Pyromancer when I leveled up to level 35. The first thing I did? Run home, put on the PuppterMaster's Costume that I had been saving for said event, and run to the Bazaar for other new clothes. Of course, the PuppetMaster's Costume is crowns only, so it would be kind of unfair to compare it to regular old clothing, but I believe my boost went up five points and my resist went up four. That's a lot, but its nothing compared to the step-up from DragonSpyre/Celestia clothing to the famed WaterWorks set.

Before Celestia was added, the Mailstare (the robe of which was dropped by Malistare) set was considered by most the max clothing in the game. Ice, which was my first wizards school and the one I know the best, stats are as follows:
Health | +520 | +443
Block | 12% all | 9% all
Crit. | 27 Ice | N/A
Boost | 14% Ice | 7% Ice
In. Health | 5% | N/A

Some of those are, of course, invalid because Critical and Critical Block didn't exist before Celestia, but even the ones that did are overpowered. Like, +7% boost and 3% everything resist (which is a lot because everything resist is unusual).

That step-up isn't too bad of a problem, like its overpowered, but not too overpowered. What really was a mistake on KI's part was not compensating the gear afterwords for it. I've already complained about this on another thread, but, until Taterus, we had level 90s where level 60+ only clothing. You don't see level 60s wearing level 30+ only clothing, or level 40s where level 10+ only.

Now, of course, we have a rival to the WaterWorks set, the Hades set. I've seen many threads complaining about how hard it is to get, especially since only one boss drops it, unlike several did for the WaterWorks and Malistare sets. Nerfing the Waterworks sets would, of course, make KI ner these sets as well, which I think is alright anyways.

Crafting clothing could be seen as better or worse than the WaterWorks set, and it does get better as the worlds go on, a lot of people don't craft clothing, and you used to be able to get decent clothing without it.

While it is unusual that Crowns-only clothing is worse, most gear nowadays pale in comparison to the WaterWorks set. Gone are the days when we farmed just end-of-the-world bosses for decent clothing, now we just put all of our effort into dungeons that are neigh-impossible-to-solo-dungeons that can take hours.

I realize KI probably won't do this, but I would like for you all to hear this concern.

I also am confused here? First I have said Puppet gear (crowns) I actually got in a drop somewhere. I have had it for quite sometime now and have yet to find a wizard to equip it too that would benefit from it, it sits in my shared bank. I am a hit a run player so maybe my gear has to be different? I do believe I will find a use for the level 30 gear dropped in Olympus though. During normal runs and helping I have collected quite a bit of it for different schools. KI hold your hands over ears, I am not asking or wanting a drop rate decrease, I like to farm where I actually do get a drop, lol.

Like Seethe I also believe WW to be a big UN-ejoyable game interruption and prefer the crafted Wintertusk gear. I have even gotten quite far with the level 58 gear on my first wizard prior to the WT gear and finally getting the WW gear. Consider if you do other things also in the game like pets etc. WW can waste quite a bit of your rental time if you are a sub player. Don't get me wrong I did time in WW, it's just that that faze of game has worn out it's welcome for me. I have a Life and Death set from my many runs and on future wizards I was thankful for an option to craft "almost like" gear. I don't look for or get the best in this game but I strive to get by which helps keep my expectations low.

As for WW gear - here is the thing. I quested though AZ and am just in Part 1 of the new K world - more and more wizards found AZ to be a hand full and went back and farmed WW so they felt they at least had a chance of passing this world - sounds like it's a kidney stone doesn't it, lol.

Really in the end there are many things in this game that could use a second look at but am not sure WaterWorks gear is one of them.

Mary

Explorer
May 21, 2012
Haley MoonHeart on Feb 2, 2014 wrote:

Health | +520 | +443
Block | 12% all | 9% all
Crit. | 27 Ice | N/A
Boost | 14% Ice | 7% Ice
In. Health | 5% | N/A

i dont agree but i think you should be able to get the drops more easily than what they are now

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Waterworks gear is very hard to farm with, especially before KI tampered with the drop rate (and many of the current upper-level users farmed before this). It took my Ice 23 (TWENTY THREE) tries to get the Waterworks full set. It took my myth 17, and counting. I still need those boots... But I digress. Anyway, let's say it takes a 95 and a 68 (which is my team) about an hour and a half, which is pretty accurate assuming we don't get really lucky with crit or opponent fizzled. This is 17*90, which results in 1530 minutes, for my myth alone. Why have I spent this much time, you ask? Because:
A) The Waterworks gear is SUPPOSED to be OP for its level
B) I REALLY want a mastery amulet, again, a rare drop.

Nerfing of the WW gear would be heartbreaking for us devoted wizards who have spent time working on the dungeon.