Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Everyone Should Deserve A Quality Pet~

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
So most of you probably have pets that could use some improvement...? Maybe double resist or triple damage, fairy? Well we've all seen those "perfect" pets and want one just like it, but how do we do that? Simply as that owner to hatch; but it isn't that easy. Besides costing about a whopping 45,000 gold and getting that 12 hour timer, most people aren't willing to hatch with a stranger they stumble upon in the hatchery. I was in the hatchery looking for a really nice pet to hatch with and maybe complete my "perfect" pet but every decent one was not willing to hatch. Now, I respect everyone's choice and ability to say, "no" I don't think people realize a few things:

1) How am I suppose to get a better pet if no one will hatch? Then I won't be able to improve.
2) While I admire some people's hard work and dedication to creating a pet from scratch, you did have to hatch with someone in the first place.
3) Think of the person! How would you feel to be turned down over and over? It would stink. You could be the savior of the person with selfish talents and mana gift, just like how that wizard once helped you.

And it seems that no one is willing to hatch for another person, they only want to better themselves. I was once i the hatchery and saw an amazing spark beast! It struck me in awe. I kindly asked the person to hatch but they replied with, "It will cost you a myth mastery." Has it really come to this? I don't know about you guys but I am not willing to give a stranger something that costs really money. No one should, especially the little kids that play this game, should be desperate enough to do that, it's just rude. What happened to thinking of others and helping people whenever possible? Nowadays it seems like if you ask for help you've earned a spot that person's ignore list, let alone asking to hatch. My friend once had a similar problem, she asked a person to hatch and they said, "yes, but you"ll have to help me farm for gold." They made their way to vestrilund and cranked in the coins. But once he had enough, the person removed her and was gone.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic people out there who do hatch to help others but the majority of them don't. Everyone deserves a great pet to aid them in questing, not just the obnoxious warlords with their great pets, not everyone has friends that can hatch with them, not all of us are that lucky.

I understand that Kingsisle's main objective is to make money but in my opinion there are a few ways to solve this issue:

1) Make Hatching Cost Less! Low price tag means people will be more inclined or willing to hatch because there is less of a set back in coins.
2) Make The Timers Shorter! Fewer minutes with a restriction means people will not give up so much to help a person out. I've hear quite a lot, "I can make up the lost gold, it's the timer that hurts." But this also goes along with kingsisle making money, forcing people to buy elixirs, which costs crowns, which costs money.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2012
i totally agree with you. if you dont have a perfect pet its almost impossible to get someone to hatch with. either people are looking to improve their almost perfect pet, or they are looking for a special pet. few are willing to help others in need. i managed to do some inbreeding with few of my own pets. i did not find anyone to hatch with until i got a few good talents on my pet. now i finally got a pet im happy with, and can try to help those in need

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Sadly you are correct and this is what the game has gotten to. The competitiveness is really rough on those of us that really would like to see others thrive also.

Altho all my pets have to offer is spritely from a few hounds and school pets, I randomly hatch with anyone who has the gold. I have even given them TC's so they can have the money to hatch.

I personally have no problem with everyone having all the game has to offer but many believe that would not make them "special" if that was the way it went.

Mary

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I wouldn't have a problem hatching with someone if the price were lower, as you suggest. I usually don't have 35,000-45,000 in gold to spare.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
"1) How am I suppose to get a better pet if no one will hatch? Then I won't be able to improve.
2) While I admire some people's hard work and dedication to creating a pet from scratch, you did have to hatch with someone in the first place.
3) Think of the person! How would you feel to be turned down over and over? It would stink. You could be the savior of the person with selfish talents and mana gift, just like how that wizard once helped you."

All three of your assertions are false. Combine school pets and farmed pets to get the desired combos. I have several "perfect pets" and not one was made from buying pets or hatching with anyone but myself. People complain that I don't want to hatch with them all the time. But why should I spend 50,000 gold to hatch a pet I don't want with someone I don't know? Nearly every talent you want in a pet is available in some pet dropped or sold somewhere in the game. You are perfectly capable of hatching a good pet on your own. Stop blaming strangers for your being too lazy to do the work needed.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
i am a level 73 fire wizard and i have a helephant and it is a perfect pet but nobody wants to hatch with my pheonix so they wont hatch with me because no one likes me and they always scam you so if they ask you something in return just say no

Survivor
Dec 12, 2010
I agree it costs sooo much gold to hatch and if you have a basic pet like a unicorn of firecat nobody wants to hatch with you. If anybody wants to hatch with me I would be happy to just go to the trojan horse hatching meetup topic for the details. The timers don't really bother me because it gives me some time to get gold. I just wish it was easier to get gold and people would hatch with everybody.

- Olivia Skullhunter
level 30

Explorer
Apr 01, 2012
I really have to agree with you, For me it takes way to long to find a decent person with a great pet and the gold for it! AND the gold problem is annoying too, I mean seriously! like I can just take 45,00 gold out of my pocket everyday.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
Most of the pets others might consider to be perfect were created by hatching two of my own pets together. For example, let's say a new hatch gets proof and defy by adult. STOP TRAINING. Now train another pet with two other traits you want. Lets say fairy and spritely. Once you have a pet with those two, STOP TRAINING. Keep both pets as "base" pets. Save them to build onto with other hatches. Now you can hatch those two pets together and your new pet has a very good chance of getting all 4 of the traits.

You will have better luck getting a hatch with your "base" pets. Pets with undesirable traits show that you haven't even tried and are relying on others to do all the work. Remember, you will not get an exact copy of the awesome pets you see in the hatchery on the first attempt. Too many people think they will.

All of my pets I have trained to mega. They did not get perfect traits the first time. I can't even imagine how many times a hatch failed. It can take countless hatches to get the desired traits. I have a few pets that took at least 15 to 20 precise hatches to get them where I like them.

I would guesstimate that 90% of the pets I have seen in the hatchery have been trained to adult and no farther. You will never get a perfect pet by only training to adult. How do you even know what other traits are already in your pet? Of those it's an easy guess to say 75% of those pets have a trait or are of a school I have no use for. I don't want to use up gold on a useless pet.

I am not being mean or selfish when I deny to hatch with a pet that's show a lack of effort.

Cool looking pets don't help you in battle. Blind hatches will not make good traits magically appear. Be selective in what you use to hatch, and what pet you wish to hatch with.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
As for the lack of gold problem....

Farm the bosses for drops to sell, Azrik and Halfang in Wintertusk are pretty easy to beat and drop amulets that sell for a fair amount of gold.

Gardening, ok, let me restate that. CONTINUOUS gardening is a great source of gold as well. Not only do you get gold every time you harvest, but you can get treasure cards and reagents to sell also. Payouts are better when you harvest at elder. Fill a garden with plants that give you their own seed back at elder. This way you can maintain, or even expand your gardens without having to buy or refarm replacement seeds.

Some may say "I hate gardening". Truth of the matter is, they don't want to take the time to tend to the plants on a daily basis. I get more gold than I'll ever need by gardening. Once you get the hang of it, only takes a few minutes a day to tend to their needs.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
Yea..it can be a rough world in the hatchery.

As a starting pet, I would suggest either a sea dragon(can be farmed for in Trial of Spheres) or white winter owl. Another option is to keep buying and training starfishes until it learns spritely and spell proof by adult.

I have a pretty good pet right now- I remember when it first began. I had a polar cat that was REALLY random(had mc snow shield, spritely, myth giver, mc fire trap). As it turns out, nobody with a decent pet wanted to hatch lol. Plus the hatches that I did get with it, ended up failing. So then I decided it was time to start from scratch..that's when I bought the winter owl from the crown shop(you can buy with gold; only available during Christmas). Since it always get mc tower, I thought it was a good bet. [insert series of events that lend up to my current pet]

The trick with it was to not be too picky- hatching with a decent-ish one would be good and work your way up.

~Austin Shadowsword
Promethean Knight

Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
seethe42 on Jan 21, 2014 wrote:
"1) How am I suppose to get a better pet if no one will hatch? Then I won't be able to improve.
3) Think of the person! How would you feel to be turned down over and over? It would stink. You could be the savior of the person with selfish talents and mana gift, just like how that wizard once helped you."

All three of your assertions are false. Combine school pets and farmed pets to get the desired combos. I have several "perfect pets" and not one was made from buying pets or hatching with anyone but myself. People complain that I don't want to hatch with them all the time. But why should I spend 50,000 gold to hatch a pet I don't want with someone I don't know? Nearly every talent you want in a pet is available in some pet dropped or sold somewhere in the game. You are perfectly capable of hatching a good pet on your own. Stop blaming strangers for your being too lazy to do the work needed.
It seems your definition of a perfect pet is far different from mine. I don't know what your school is but since you train school-earned pets your idea of a great companion must be may cast school-specific blade, mana gift, may cast school-specific shield and a selfish talent, because that's what type of talents they get, so congratulations. On the other hand, most people want talents that aren't attainable from quests or crowns. Talents like: spell proof, defy, and maybe even fairy or unicorn. And also, thank you for summing up the things I talked about; with kingsisle's gold prices, people aren't as will to hatch with strangers for the benefit of someone else. But I don't blame kingsisle, not at all. I thought wizard101 was a community where people can work together, but that will never be a reality. It seems that everything is a competition, who has the best stats, who has the best pet, who's better at pvp. Thanks for your reply- you obvious only care about yourself.

95 balance
95 storm
88 myth

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
KI has helped us by gifting us pets a couple times, and by making good pets available as drops and for gold. A quality pet isn't too hard to get. If you want a "perfect" pet, that is hard, and it should be. Everyone who has one started where you are, and most of them put in hundreds to thousands of hours of effort.

Garden for snacks and gold. Use fan sites like Central and Petnome to get information and set up hatches. Start with the best pet you have or can buy and improve it slowly. You can do it!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
MasterSorcerer653 on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
It seems your definition of a perfect pet is far different from mine. I don't know what your school is but since you train school-earned pets your idea of a great companion must be may cast school-specific blade, mana gift, may cast school-specific shield and a selfish talent, because that's what type of talents they get, so congratulations. On the other hand, most people want talents that aren't attainable from quests or crowns. Talents like: spell proof, defy, and maybe even fairy or unicorn. And also, thank you for summing up the things I talked about; with kingsisle's gold prices, people aren't as will to hatch with strangers for the benefit of someone else. But I don't blame kingsisle, not at all. I thought wizard101 was a community where people can work together, but that will never be a reality. It seems that everything is a competition, who has the best stats, who has the best pet, who's better at pvp. Thanks for your reply- you obvious only care about yourself.

95 balance
95 storm
88 myth
"your idea of a great companion must be may cast school-specific blade, mana gift, may cast school-specific shield and a selfish talent, because that's what type of talents they get..."

Not a single pet I use has any of those. I have several pets with with proof, defy, pierce, fairy, spritely, unicorn, current, shatter, enfeeble and many other talents in various combinations without using crown pets. You clearly just haven't looked up the pets and talents available. I hatch with friends all the time, I don't see why you think I should farm 50k gold to hatch with people I don't know. And on top of that, they are mostly people who want an instant perfect pet without doing any work. If you can't even be bothered to hatch out all the selfish talents in your pets, why should I waste time hatching over and over with you? You are obviously only thinking of yourself when begging for a hatch since you are not willing to do any work to get rid of the talents you dislike before asking for a hatch. There are also loads of threads on central for people willing to help hatch perfect pets. I help there all the time, but those people are willing to put in the work, not just beg and whine.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
Providing more information...

I wasn't complaining that my pet is bad, on my storm wizard I have the best pet I could ever think of: storm giver, storm bringer, pain giver, fairy and and unicorn. But for my balance wizard, his pet needs improvement: fairy, unicorn, and spell proof. Yes, I have the disease that is unicorn, it's terrible. My post was about the other people who aren't as fortunate as I. Before you can get a good pet, you have to hatch, in order to improve, you have to hatch with pets you want. Hatching a pet with bad talents with another bad pet isn't going to make a great pet. That's the problem, people with those great pets aren't willing to hatch with "lesser" pets unless of course you have a friend or someone nice enough to help you.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
While I can empathize with the desire for wanting a pet with specifics; I am tired of people whining about those that won't hatch. I spent a good deal of time, energy, and lots of gold to train and breed a pet with the talents I wanted. Initially I was a mercy of others until individual hatching was an option and then I used my own pets until it worked out. My current pet is a combo of that pet and a hatch with a friend. I literally have spent more gold than I can recall-I would guess in the millions-on helping others improve their pets with mine with nothing in return. I have a few suggestions for those who want to hatch with others who have the pet type or talent you want, don't spam request a hatch, ask them; show you have put some effort in yourself, either by type you have or talent development; see if that person would browse what you have, ask what they are looking for, I you have a friend that has what they want provide an introduction. I'm much more willing to hatch with someone who appears to have put in some effort and talks to me asking for a hatch or facilitate browsing their offerings or having a friend that has what I want and is willing to be the middle man for introductions. Heck even of they don't have a pet I want if they are cordial and easy to get along with I usually hatch with them hopig to help. Currently though I avoid the hatchery due to spammed requests and people being rude. Yes I know I can turn off hatch requests but I choose not to.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
MasterSorcerer653 on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
Providing more information...

I wasn't complaining that my pet is bad, on my storm wizard I have the best pet I could ever think of: storm giver, storm bringer, pain giver, fairy and and unicorn. But for my balance wizard, his pet needs improvement: fairy, unicorn, and spell proof. Yes, I have the disease that is unicorn, it's terrible. My post was about the other people who aren't as fortunate as I. Before you can get a good pet, you have to hatch, in order to improve, you have to hatch with pets you want. Hatching a pet with bad talents with another bad pet isn't going to make a great pet. That's the problem, people with those great pets aren't willing to hatch with "lesser" pets unless of course you have a friend or someone nice enough to help you.
And that was my point as well, you DON'T need to start hatching with someone that has a dream pet. You can make one yourself. There are loads of great starting pets dropped around the spiral and given in school quests. Some of the school pets start with 4/5 perfect 250 stats, the talents don't matter, you just train those to adult and hatch to a pet with a talent you want. Then you get the talent and good stats, next you move to other pet talents you want. You build a perfect pet, it doesn't hatch overnight and it's nearly impossible to get one from hatching with other people. It's much easier to do it alone. You have complete control over the hidden talents and know exactly what is possible and what the talents in the list are even before training.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I don't think the Op has thought this through...

I mean what is going on in Op's thoughts?
"I want a better pet, and they have better pets. We are all at the hatchery so we all have enough gold to hatch. It would be nice if someone would hatch with me. If they are nice they would hatch with me." Full stop.

Yes they are in the hatchery, and yes they have enough money to hatch. A question you couldask is: Why do they want to hatch their pets?

Oh, they want to improve their own pets, that is why they are here...

Indeed; they are here to try and trade the talents their pets have, for talents someone else's pet has. An even exchange. I give them what they want, they give me what I want.

Here I am Having spent months, and possibly over a hundred dollars on perfecting my pet, I am still striving and reaching for perfection... Then you come along with nothing to offer, I am serious, you have literally no skills I want and a low pedigree pet, you expect me to spend 45,000 gold on you; and in exchange I will get a pet that is guaranteed to be something I don't want?

If I do as you ask, I have to go back and grind another 45,000 gold, not that you care; you will already have the pet that you want.
So I come back, and there you are again!
You ask me to hatch with you again!

Your new pet isn't very good, how could it be?(It was only one hatch after all) If you aren't there, then someone else is there instead, still wanting me to hatch with their pathetic pet.

When, precisely, does this cycle end? Exactly how much gold to I have to grind(90,000? 180,000?) before I am, permitted, to hatch with a pet that has skills or a pedigree that I could use? How many times do I have to spend 45,000 gold to buy guaranteed failures?

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Frankly, if you have nothing to offer in pet talents or pedigree, you should be looking for hatching partners outside of the pet pavilion. Stay away from the bazaar as well, if they are shopping, then they aren't going to want to spend gold on hatching.

A wizard who is questing or hanging out in the commons isn't trying to perfect their pet, at that moment. If they are in a good mood they may hatch with you.

I know that I supply the other wizards on my account with good pets and I use the bank to pass equipment to my other wizards so they can sell it for gold.

If you see a low level wizard with an amazing pet, if they aren't in the hatchery or the bazaar, ask them if they would like to hatch with you. This way you are less likely to interfere with their personal goals, and they may actually agree to hatch.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
Yeah I don't believe you people that say you will hatch with people that put the work in. I tried for the first time to hatch with my mega Phoenix and was refused multiple times by many people. My pet has MC sprite, life giver, fire proof, fire giver and fire shot. Plus gives one Grand Phoenix card at baby.

Not a bad pet at all. Maybe some people don't like those stats and that's fine just say so but you get none of that. It's an immediate no and that's it.

So congrats to all you little baby pvp players who don't want to help a fellow Wizard out in making a better pet. I swear pvp scrubs kill this game.

No worries though I'm a grown up and can deal with it. Anybody that would like to hatch with my mega that needed it in this thread just ask. Gold is no big deal as its fake money and easy to farm for.

Daniel Shadowflame: Level 90

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
You do realize that the higher level a pet is, the more it costs to hatch with it? If your phoenix were an adult or an ancient people may be more inclined to hatch with you. They may also not like the life giver and fireproof talents, if they are trying to raise a pet focused on fire.

I am not sure, but I think your pet can make a hybrid... I don't know which pet it hybrids with though.

It isn't the wast of gold, so much as the wast of time getting the gold, and the fact that there is a hatching limit now.

I utterly forgot about that. Very few people are going to want to spend their single hatch per day on a total stranger. They certainly wont' want to spend an additional hatching potion on an egg they don't want or need.

You really are better off looking for people who aren't trying to perfect their own pets. I am sure there are a few folks running around with ancients that have skills you would like. If you can find such a person, and they have gold they aren't using, they may hatch with you. You will probably have to help them with some dungeon runs, or boss fights, so that you aren't a total stranger. If you are helpful and nice they may be more inclined to help you, especially if they satisfied with their own pet.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
My wish would be that preferred talents where gotten though pets dropped or purchased with gold. Most of the preferred talents are only available to those who purchase Crown pets then the ones who don't have crowns have to hope for generosity of a hatch. In short you can not make an ubber pet on your own with out crowns.

Such as: Fairy, Spell Defy, Unicorn, Dragon Blade. I know Proof and Spritely are available on in game pets so it meets you part of the way.

I realize for Spell Proof and Spritely the Starfish is about you best starter pet but in the many I have trained none have manifested Proof and hatching them out did not produce it.

Mary

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
I agree with the OP. It's near impossible to get a perfect(or at least good) pet without hatching with someone at least once. The best advice I could give to people who are trying to get a good pet without having to wait around for someone to hatch with you, is to either farm for, or buy the sea dragon in the crown shop. It comes with a lot of great abilities, for derby and for your wizard.

My sea dragon(trained to mega) has this stuff:

6 more damage
6 more accuracy
10 more resist
may cast sprite
1 disarm card

I will rejoice the day KI makes hatching cheaper, but for now, you got to be happy with what you got :)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Northlite on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
My wish would be that preferred talents where gotten though pets dropped or purchased with gold. Most of the preferred talents are only available to those who purchase Crown pets then the ones who don't have crowns have to hope for generosity of a hatch. In short you can not make an ubber pet on your own with out crowns.

Such as: Fairy, Spell Defy, Unicorn, Dragon Blade. I know Proof and Spritely are available on in game pets so it meets you part of the way.

I realize for Spell Proof and Spritely the Starfish is about you best starter pet but in the many I have trained none have manifested Proof and hatching them out did not produce it.

Mary
Actually Fairy is the only talent you mentioned that isn't freely available. Sea Dragon is also a fairly common drop pet in Celestia's Trial and almost always gives proof and spritely. You can easily make an uber pet without crowns on your own. This like everything in your view is a matter of if you are lazy or if you are willing to actually put an effort into it. You want everything to be handed to everyone without any effort. That would make for an extremely boring game that everyone would quit after a few weeks because there's nothing left to do. As for the preferred talents being crowns only, you could not be more wrong. Almost all the best talents are available ONLY from dropped pets.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, people can be mean sometimes. When I first started, I had a first generation beta fish (I had to buy the card just to get a good pet from the start). The stats weren't that good, so I found someone with a somewhat equal pet and hatched with them, given that I had critical on mine and that's what they were looking for. After that I got these stats: Storm shot, spell proof, may cast healing current, and critical. At first nobody would hatch with me, but then I found a balance dino and hatched with them. It resulted in getting two other great pets after that: A balance pet with spell proof, balance boost, unicorn, and fairy. The other one has infallible, spell proof, fairy, and 6 accuracy.

The point is, I'd love to hatch with someone and help them out. I know what its like to have a terrible pet - my very first pet was a cheap little dragon that I worked hard on to train without snacks. All of this takes time, you just have to be patient. The pet I'm most happy about gives me 8 storm boost, both from separate talents, and I haven't even gotten it to ancient.

I agree that people can be a bit selfish when it comes to hatching, so I'm offering now to hatch with anyone who wants to. I had to seriously beg someone to get that storm pet that I have, but you don't have to beg me. Just ask. I don't want anything in return, honest.

~Allison StormSpear, level 74 storm