Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Desperately frustrated and in need of help

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 03, 2013
I have playing Wizard101 for about two months now and have really been enjoying it. Even when I am in a particularly hard battle, I am always having fun. I got a few friends to reluctantly try it out - we are all "older" gamers - and they love it, too, so that makes it even more fun.

However, I recently found the one thing I don't like about the game(excluding the messaging system, which I'm sure annoys everyone, not just me): PVP. My friend was the one who discovered that you can buy things with arena tickets and showed it to me. I've found a few things that I really, really want, so I started doing the ranked PVP matches to get tickets.

The problem is that I don't exactly know how it works. I know the basics, yes, but I need more info. An example: when I do a practice match, it will match me up with a whole variety of different players. Different levels, different schools, etc. Every time I do a ranked match, though, I am *always* set up against a balance wizard. I am a balance wizard, too, so I thought that you had to duel people from your own school, but then I saw other matches and noticed that you could be set up with anyone. Is there a reason I keep getting balance wizards?

I've also noticed that they always match me up with someone who is a higher level than me. They use spells that I've never seen before - I am a level 42 - and I just don't think that's very fair. If someone is a higher level than you, obviously they have the upper hand. Couldn't they make it where you choose which level you compete at? I mean, look at mixed martial arts competitions and stuff like that - they all have different categories because it would be unfair to set up a featherweight and a heavyweight.

Another thing I've noticed - and this is something that irritates me to no end - is that the percentages don't add up in PVP duels. I once had a tempest card(which does 80 damage for each pip you have) while I had seven pips, a 25% more damage balance blade, a 35% more damage storm blade, and two 25% more damage balance shields on the wizard I was attacking. He had no defense shields on him when I did this. By my calculations, I should have done 1,176 damage to him, but it only did 200! I don't understand how that happens and it KEEPS happening to me.

I can beat most people I do practice matches with, but not the ranked ones and those are the only ones you get arena tickets for.

Can someone please explain to me why it is I keep failing and why they always stick me with wizards who are a higher level than me? It really isn't fair; I got defeated in one hit the last time I did a PVP match.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Hello John,

The reason you are seeing such low numbers, and they don't add up to your estimates, is that your opponent(s) have damage resistance in their gear. There is global resistance, and specific school resistance. So even though they don't have a shield aka "ward" circling them, doesn't mean they have zero resistance.

The two main purposes of a person seeking their desired PVP rank are for the gear, and title. The gear has moderate to high resistance of one or more school's damage and is highly sought after to increase survivability.

Another less subtle factor could be "cloaked" wards, which would appear as a question mark to you I believe, during a duel.

I hoped this helped you John and best of luck to you and your friends in Wizards.

Gabriel

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Welcome to the ridiculous world of extremely-broken pvp, where money buys rank and the points don't matter.

1) Who you get matched with, whether in practice or ranked, depends on who's online and in that particular queue; the system *tries* to find someone who is close to your rank and/or level and, if it can't, branches out from there.

If you're in a time zone other than central or eastern, your options (like mine) are fairly limited, but the school, level, and rank of your opponent are all completely random.

2) those spells you've never seen before are likely treasure cards, or your opponent has a mastery amulet (which allows him or her to use power pips with another school's spells). If you aren't using tc yourself, them you should start ASAP and even the playing field... as a balance wizard myself, I advise you to make good friends with shatter and cleanse charm.

3) your calculations probably didn't factor in the other player's resistance, which would have given him a bit of padding against your spell. If he had pvp elite gear or crowns items anywhere in the mix, the stats can be grossly disproportionate to what's available in-game.

To sum up the current state of affairs in the arena, it's either PvPay up or don't rank. I find it sad and think that spending real money to win eliminates any and all strategy from the game, but KI continues to allow it because it pushes crowns items, which drives their profits through the roof.

/my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

-von

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Dr Von on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:
Welcome to the ridiculous world of extremely-broken pvp, where money buys rank and the points don't matter.

1) Who you get matched with, whether in practice or ranked, depends on who's online and in that particular queue; the system *tries* to find someone who is close to your rank and/or level and, if it can't, branches out from there.

If you're in a time zone other than central or eastern, your options (like mine) are fairly limited, but the school, level, and rank of your opponent are all completely random.

2) those spells you've never seen before are likely treasure cards, or your opponent has a mastery amulet (which allows him or her to use power pips with another school's spells). If you aren't using tc yourself, them you should start ASAP and even the playing field... as a balance wizard myself, I advise you to make good friends with shatter and cleanse charm.

3) your calculations probably didn't factor in the other player's resistance, which would have given him a bit of padding against your spell. If he had pvp elite gear or crowns items anywhere in the mix, the stats can be grossly disproportionate to what's available in-game.

To sum up the current state of affairs in the arena, it's either PvPay up or don't rank. I find it sad and think that spending real money to win eliminates any and all strategy from the game, but KI continues to allow it because it pushes crowns items, which drives their profits through the roof.

-von
I don't agree with you here von. I don't think the crowns items are that much better than in game items. yes there is a set for lower levels that will give you some resist, but the best gear comes from questing, crafting and winning in PVP. I found the best strategy for pvp is to just start at level 1, yes level 1 and just do ranked have fun and earn some tickets. so what if you lose, when you find you can't get matches anymore just go level up and do it again. then around level 10 get yourself a pet, mix it raise its stats etc...and shop for gear. get the best you can for gold, if you have no crowns, and go from there. It takes a lot of losses to rank up, but it can be done with out the crowns gear. and make sure to us those TCs. Those anyone can buy with gold earned in game.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
OH, and lets not forget, that balance wizards are some of the best wizards in Lower level PVP because of the judgement card, and the fact that the only shield against any balance spells is the tower or the life shield.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
Von! such a pessimist, lol, but i you anyway XD. The Spiral wouldn't be the same without you

Lets see, Gabriel did a great job explaining resistance gear. That is why your damage is not getting through. You need to find a way to "pierce" that. Maybe crowns gear or TC or dungeon gear.Since I don't know your level, idk, but you can research that.

I have found that when a particular school is a challenge for my wizard, i get matched with that school until i "solve" the strategy or fail around 5 times in a row. That is why you keep getting Balance.

I have found that when I have great gear, crowns gear for instance, I get matched in a much more challenging way. For instance, the other day I made a new life wiz. She had awesome gear and a great pet but only level 10. Still, I was curious, so I took her to the arena. Her very first match ever was against a commander, he was balance and around level 30. It was challenging and fun for us both. In the end she lost, but i feel confident that with some strategy adjustments, she could win next time. That could be why you are getting matched with wizards several levels higher than you in rank and level. I bet you can win, just keep trying.

I am an "older" gamer too, Welcome to the Spiral!

Amber Raven Song 95 Warlord

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dr Von on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:

-von

Hmmm, I think somebody is a "Whose Line Is it Anyhow" fan :P

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
john nightblade339 on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:
I have playing Wizard101 for about two months now and have really been enjoying it. Even when I am in a particularly hard battle, I am always having fun. I got a few friends to reluctantly try it out - we are all "older" gamers - and they love it, too, so that makes it even more fun.

However, I recently found the one thing I don't like about the game(excluding the messaging system, which I'm sure annoys everyone, not just me): PVP. My friend was the one who discovered that you can buy things with arena tickets and showed it to me. I've found a few things that I really, really want, so I started doing the ranked PVP matches to get tickets.

The problem is that I don't exactly know how it works. I know the basics, yes, but I need more info. An example: when I do a practice match, it will match me up with a whole variety of different players. Different levels, different schools, etc. Every time I do a ranked match, though, I am *always* set up against a balance wizard. I am a balance wizard, too, so I thought that you had to duel people from your own school, but then I saw other matches and noticed that you could be set up with anyone. Is there a reason I keep getting balance wizards?

I've also noticed that they always match me up with someone who is a higher level than me. They use spells that I've never seen before - I am a level 42 - and I just don't think that's very fair. If someone is a higher level than you, obviously they have the upper hand. Couldn't they make it where you choose which level you compete at? I mean, look at mixed martial arts competitions and stuff like that - they all have different categories because it would be unfair to set up a featherweight and a heavyweight.

Another thing I've noticed - and this is something that irritates me to no end - is that the percentages don't add up in PVP duels. I once had a tempest card(which does 80 damage for each pip you have) while I had seven pips, a 25% more damage balance blade, a 35% more damage storm blade, and two 25% more damage balance shields on the wizard I was attacking. He had no defense shields on him when I did this. By my calculations, I should have done 1,176 damage to him, but it only did 200! I don't understand how that happens and it KEEPS happening to me.

I can beat most people I do practice matches with, but not the ranked ones and those are the only ones you get arena tickets for.

Can someone please explain to me why it is I keep failing and why they always stick me with wizards who are a higher level than me? It really isn't fair; I got defeated in one hit the last time I did a PVP match.
Your tempest was probably weak because you don't have a storm mastery amulet and therefore your power pips count as normal pips. Your attack also may have been weak because your opponent had extremely high storm resistance. You may be failing in pvp because you don't have the proper gear and deck setup. Let me know your gear and strategy and I may be able to help you.