Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Day and Night, weather patterns.

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 02, 2010
Hello, Justin StormCatcher here.

I have a great idea for the overall Wizard101 experience. How about we put in a daytime/nighttime and weather? system? The in-game clock would run on real time. The weather would be random and chosen by the system. For example,

If it is 9AM EST, clear sky.

Wizard101 sky is sunny, some clouds and a light breeze (seen on the rustling leaves on trees.)

If it is 5PM EST, thunderstorm.

Wizard101 sky is dark, lightning and thunder can be seen and heard. Rain can be seen pouring down. The wind is gusting very strongly (seen on the rustling trees on trees.)

If it is 10PM EST, clear sky.

Moon can be seen in sky, beautiful stars gleaming. Sky is pitch-black.

I do realize this would take a bit of time to code in, but I think it's a great idea and would add to the overall experience of Wizard101.

Thanks,
Justin StormCatcher

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
This is a great suggestion, but as you said it would take a lot of coding. I dont know if they would be ready to take up the challenge.

Defender
May 02, 2010
I think they can actually do this, in the tutorial where Malistaire entered the tower, it started thunderstorming. It looked great.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It would require way too much coding and server load to have time of day and weather changes for all 24 time zones. It's not worth it. It was already explained a long time ago that the spiral is fragmented worlds and not a solar system like ours, day and night don't work the same way.

Survivor
Aug 24, 2013
I think this is a great idea! It is kinda weird if you are playing at ten o'clock at night in the commons and the sun is shining. But as you added it may take alot of coding and may even require closing the game for a week or two.

Defender
May 02, 2010
As said, the tutorial did not take much to code. In the tutorial, there was a thunderstorm.

Defender
Sep 18, 2010
J StormCatcher on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
Hello, Justin StormCatcher here.

I have a great idea for the overall Wizard101 experience. How about we put in a daytime/nighttime and weather? system? The in-game clock would run on real time. The weather would be random and chosen by the system. For example,

If it is 9AM EST, clear sky.

Wizard101 sky is sunny, some clouds and a light breeze (seen on the rustling leaves on trees.)

If it is 5PM EST, thunderstorm.

Wizard101 sky is dark, lightning and thunder can be seen and heard. Rain can be seen pouring down. The wind is gusting very strongly (seen on the rustling trees on trees.)

If it is 10PM EST, clear sky.

Moon can be seen in sky, beautiful stars gleaming. Sky is pitch-black.

I do realize this would take a bit of time to code in, but I think it's a great idea and would add to the overall experience of Wizard101.

Thanks,
Justin StormCatcher

How about just basing it off of Central TIme? After all that's where KingsIsle's headquarters are and it would be easier to calculate everything.

~Sincerely, Hunter the Verdant Emerald...

Survivor
Dec 30, 2012
that would be a better way to make wizard101 like real life

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
I think that's a great idea. The main issues with this is:
  1. It'll be hard.
  2. Some people live across the world, so it's 10 P.M. for you, it might be 10 A.M. for them, wouldn't it be weird if it was dark in the morning?

Overall, it's a good idea, it's just a bit difficult.

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 52 theurgist.

EDIT: Okay, AluraMist2 linked to another topic on the message board. Zeke said that the spiral isn't like Earth, where it rotates. The Spiral does not rotate, therefore it will always be either daytime or nighttime. But, I think a cool thing to add would be your weather idea. (Raining, snowing ect.)

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Zeke said this won't happen (day and night cycles).

If you scroll down to his reply on the link listed below, Zeke said that "The worlds of the Spiral do not act the same way that Earth does - they do not rotate therefore their day/night is fixed."

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/ideas-i-would-like-to-see-in-the-game-48151

Now, the weather conditions may be a different story. After all, we can have "snow" if we have a snowglobe.