Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I need a few tips on gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
For a storm wizard should I go for:
Waterworks Gear
Hades Gear
Or the crown shop heavy rain gear?
Thanks Guys

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It really depends what you are doing. My Storm is usually playing hammer on a team of 2 to 4, so I focus on damage & accuracy. I have used mostly Waterworks gear from level 60 to 95, with the Diviners Deep boots from level 86 on. No complaints. If you are solo, you may want to trade out for boots with more resist or block. Most of the gear from Tartarus is a downgrade on the stats that matter most, but the best of the Hades gear offers slight improvement on certain stats, so you could farm for that. You will probably still mix & match with WW though, so it may not be worth the effort.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Hades Gear is the best but takes the most work/time. For crown gear, the Thundering Attire is comparable to the Hades "glass cannon" gear. The thing is, if you don't have at least Waterworks gear, it's really hard to run for Hades gear. Heavy Rain is decent gear if you want a lower level "glass cannon" (attack/critical with no resist). It all depends on your play style. I prefer the Hades Blackthunder Helm and Armor with Poseidon's Waterskimmers for boots. It gives a good balance of critical, attack, resist and accuracy.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Prince of Shadows on Dec 19, 2013 wrote:
It really depends what you are doing. My Storm is usually playing hammer on a team of 2 to 4, so I focus on damage & accuracy. I have used mostly Waterworks gear from level 60 to 95, with the Diviners Deep boots from level 86 on. No complaints. If you are solo, you may want to trade out for boots with more resist or block. Most of the gear from Tartarus is a downgrade on the stats that matter most, but the best of the Hades gear offers slight improvement on certain stats, so you could farm for that. You will probably still mix & match with WW though, so it may not be worth the effort.
Actually Hades gear is really only a downgrade on one stat, accuracy. It's an upgrade on pretty much everything else. You can make up for that with Azteca gear mixed in, giving you a lot more damage, accuracy, critical and resist than waterworks.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
seethe42 on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
Actually Hades gear is really only a downgrade on one stat, accuracy. It's an upgrade on pretty much everything else. You can make up for that with Azteca gear mixed in, giving you a lot more damage, accuracy, critical and resist than waterworks.
Really? What specific items?

I'll believe it when I see it. I've looked.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
seethe42 on Dec 20, 2013 wrote:
Hades Gear is the best but takes the most work/time. For crown gear, the Thundering Attire is comparable to the Hades "glass cannon" gear. The thing is, if you don't have at least Waterworks gear, it's really hard to run for Hades gear. Heavy Rain is decent gear if you want a lower level "glass cannon" (attack/critical with no resist). It all depends on your play style. I prefer the Hades Blackthunder Helm and Armor with Poseidon's Waterskimmers for boots. It gives a good balance of critical, attack, resist and accuracy.
Questing in "glass cannon" gear is not a good idea unless you have a teammate dedicated to keeping you alive.

The Blackthunder helm gives up over 100 health, 8% accuracy, and 8% damage to Waterworks. That is a significant downgrade for a damage dealer or general play.

The Blackthunder Armor is almost identical to Waterworks, gaining slightly in crit, block and pips, at the expense of 1% damage & 8% accuracy. Meh.

I had to Wiki the Waterskimmers, as in 50+ runs of Tartarus I've never seen them. Those are slightly better than WW boots, but I'd still be giving up 10% damage and 10% accuracy from the Waders. 12% less resist to fire and myth, but 8% more to everything else. No universal block, so less balanced than AV or AZ crafted for defense.

At best, you are trading stats. Not bad, but not a clear advantage.

My advice is mix and match for the bits that suit your playing style & what you are fighting. Also consider changing in some school specific resists. That can help you survive some tough bosses.

Best of luck!

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
So I should do waterworks hat and robe with which boots?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Total Skyscream boosts:

+498 Max Health
+22% Global Accuracy
+67% Storm Damage
+26% Global Resistance
+121 Storm Critical
+27 Global Critical Block
+12% Incoming Healing

Total Blackthunder boosts:

+509 Max Health
+21% Power Pip
+5% Storm Accuracy
+57% Storm Damage
+26% Global Resistance
+262 Storm Critical
+84 Global Critical Block
+10% Armor Piercing
+15% Incoming Healing

Total Blackthunder + Posseidon Boots

+355 Max Health
+24% Power Pip
+8% Storm Accuracy
+56% Storm Damage
+28% Global Resistance
+262 Storm Critical
+28 Global Critical Block
+158 Balance Critical Block
+11% Armor Piercing
+19% Incoming Healing

These are just 3 examples, you can get a lot of various stats mixing and matching gear based on situation. There are 3 different sets of Hades gear and all play to different situations. Mixing crafted gear and Zeus and Sidhe and Crown gear into the mix add a plethora of other options. These don't even take into account pets, athames, rings and wands. There are a LOT of better options than Waterworks gear depending on the situation. Don't lock yourself into one gear for every battle.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I agree with Seethe and Prince - mix it up! You don't always need the same stats for every fight.

If those numbers are right I'd use Waterworks the most because it has a lot more damage and accuracy. The resist is about the same and the other stats don't matter as much. Get a wand with good block and work on your pets.