Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Rating

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 02, 2009
So I was just wondering, how does Critical Rating and Critical Block work? If it were percentages, like the newest update suggests, then Storm would critical every round and Ice would block every round. Soo... How does this work? Any ideas?

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
it is very confusing, no one really knows exactly, to my knowledge. i think KI should simplify the critical rules a little bit.

Gabriel Ashcaller

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
i think like when they put very low level gear as numbers of damage and then switched it to percentages just like that they should make the newer gear give percentages instead of numbers

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
So you can get critical at around 4 critcal rating is 1% critical chance. You can get critcal to do double the damage. Healing spells do count! For example, if I use stormzilla and it does 1000 damage, then if it critical s, then it will do 2000. or you can buy 1 of 6 pets that give you critical rating. You can get lvl 50+ gear to get critical.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I haven't seen any logical theory on how it works, because it's clearly not percentage. I have 399 critical on my storm, I usually critical every time. However sometimes, especially in lower level battles like Loremaster, I will go 2-3 attacks in a row regularly without getting a critical. Even though they never block when I do hit critical. So I really don't think the block and critical actually affect each other directly. Critical is a chance for critical, block is a chance for blocking only IF a critical happens. The math behind it is still a mystery. I don't think 100% critical is possible. I have noticed very little difference in failure rate between 400 and 700 critical. It still fails sometimes.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
The best way I can play it, as long as your critical number (or percentage) exceeds that of your opponent's block, there's almost a guaranteed chance for your critical to go through. It also applies vice-versa.

Duelist101 came up with a pretty good theory on their website: Whenever an attack is cast, a virtual number generator generates a number. If that number is lower than the number of your critical, that means you can go critical. The same number will also apply to the opponent's block. A wizard's critical rating is the number cap for the virtual dice; if it rolls higher than the critical rating, it won't be a critical. And when a critical does go through, if the rolled number is lower than the target's block, the critical is blocked.

So forsay, if Wizard #1 has 100 critical and Wizard #2 has 150 block:
The virtual dice rolls a 58- Wizard #1 goes critical!
But 58 is also a lower number than Wizard #2's 150 block, so the critical is negated. In this situation, there is no way for Wizard #1 to get past Wizard #2's block unless he uses utility spells to boost his critical, because as long as the block is higher than the critical, it would never go through.

If Wizard #1 has 300 critical and Wizard #2 has 100 block:
Any number that the dice rolls that is higher than 100 but not lower than 300 will result in an unstoppable critical. However, if the rolled number is smaller than the block, the critical would obviously be blocked.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
critical does twice the damage as the damage is meant to be. critical block works like lets say I am in pvp and someone criticals an attack on me, well critical block would stop the critical.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
Sparkarm on Nov 24, 2013 wrote:
The best way I can play it, as long as your critical number (or percentage) exceeds that of your opponent's block, there's almost a guaranteed chance for your critical to go through. It also applies vice-versa.

Duelist101 came up with a pretty good theory on their website: Whenever an attack is cast, a virtual number generator generates a number. If that number is lower than the number of your critical, that means you can go critical. The same number will also apply to the opponent's block. A wizard's critical rating is the number cap for the virtual dice; if it rolls higher than the critical rating, it won't be a critical. And when a critical does go through, if the rolled number is lower than the target's block, the critical is blocked.

So forsay, if Wizard #1 has 100 critical and Wizard #2 has 150 block:
The virtual dice rolls a 58- Wizard #1 goes critical!
But 58 is also a lower number than Wizard #2's 150 block, so the critical is negated. In this situation, there is no way for Wizard #1 to get past Wizard #2's block unless he uses utility spells to boost his critical, because as long as the block is higher than the critical, it would never go through.

If Wizard #1 has 300 critical and Wizard #2 has 100 block:
Any number that the dice rolls that is higher than 100 but not lower than 300 will result in an unstoppable critical. However, if the rolled number is smaller than the block, the critical would obviously be blocked.
I'm not sure how it works, however I do know that Player 1's chances of blocking a critical are directly determined by Player 2's critical rating. For example, I think that if Player 1 has 300 critical and uses a critical hit on Player 2, who has 150 block, Player 2 will have a (150/300) chance of blocking, which is 50%. If Player 2 has more critical block than Player 1's critical, Player 2 will always block the opponent's critical.

My death wizard has about 130 block to all schools, which is 24%. However, I usually block around 40-50% of all critical hits used on me. That's why I think that my chances of blocking a critical are determined by the opponent's critical rating. (My death wizard needs more block!)

Also, take into account that two people who both have a critical rating of 160 could have a different percent of critical. Ex: One person has a hat, robe, boots, and wand that give 40 critical a piece, for a total of 160. However, that person's percent of critical would be 5% times 4, or 20% critical. (I know that 40 critical equals 5% critical) Another person has a hat that gives 160 critical, but the hat gives about 30% critical. Therefore, I don't think critical is calculated from numbers, but instead it's calculated from percents.

Revising my first paragraph, I think critical is determined by percents. For example, a wizard with boots that give 80 block (20 percent) tries to block a critical hit from a wizard who has 143 critical from his hat (28%) and 84 critical from his wand (15%), meaning the second wizard has 43% critical. The chances of a first wizard blocking a critical hit from the second wizard is (20/43), which is approximately 47%. If the first wizard were to unequip his hat, he would only have 15% critical, so the chances of the second wizard blocking the critical would be (20/15)%, which is a guaranteed block. These are all my theories, and I am trying to support my data with repeated boss fights.

All critical ratings and their equivalent percents were used straight from my promethean death wizard, and I guarantee that they are accurate. Basically, I agree with all of your statements, I just think the system is calculated using percents, and not numbers.

On a side note, if you're wondering how much critical block you should have, I think 200 universal block (roughly 40-50%) should be enough block to block most critical hits.