Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Insane critical with dragon tooth armour

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Now everyone knows that with the new Aquila gear critical ratings are a lot higher than they were before. But the new dragon tooth boots from the nightmare pack give 120 ice critical. The new dragon eye boots give 120 death critical! With these new boots we may see ices with over 500 critical and deaths with insane critical. It will be difficult for fire and storm wizards to reach death's critical. So i'm just asking KI will you please decrease the critical on these boots to about 50 critical and increase the basic stats on it to help even out the gear.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
I think this is KI telling us who there favorites are. ive noticed that death and ice wizards have always had slightly better gear then other schools gear but now this proves it.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
stormninja542 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
Now everyone knows that with the new Aquila gear critical ratings are a lot higher than they were before. But the new dragon tooth boots from the nightmare pack give 120 ice critical. The new dragon eye boots give 120 death critical! With these new boots we may see ices with over 500 critical and deaths with insane critical. It will be difficult for fire and storm wizards to reach death's critical. So i'm just asking KI will you please decrease the critical on these boots to about 50 critical and increase the basic stats on it to help even out the gear.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90
The critical wars have begun, and will not be stopped no matter how much we don't like them.

justanoob.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
I know right? Fire and storm are supposed to be the damage schools, not ice and death. All fire gets is a horrible hat giving 120 critical. Maybe kingsisle could at least even out the gear instead of making it favor ice and death? Balance doesn't even get any gear.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
Veracity8 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
The critical wars have begun, and will not be stopped no matter how much we don't like them.

justanoob.
If that were true everyone would be a critical spam wizard.

Brandon Ironblade level 90

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
stormninja542 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90
1. Does it give health? No.
2. Does it give ample resist? No.
3. Does it give critical block? No.
4. Are there ways to block this? Yes.
5. Would an Ice sacrifice health, critical block, and resist, just for more critical? Likely not.
4. Is it overpowered, lacking 3 vital areas, with a way to block it?

Critical block can be easily acquired. Robes, boots, wands, athames, and rings give critical block.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
Ice is wizard101's school of favoritism, no doubt in my mind; but death is just another school. Yes, I'm death, and I know as much as anyone how non-ice my gear is. Lately death has become a more critical-involved school, yes, but storm is just as on par. The death school's book says death sits between ice and storm, ice for the survival, and storm for the hit, so to speak. So while we may recieve critical, it's a lot like a storm with critical. You can handle it. Call my crazy but I think every stat in the game is very on point. Mana burn taught me to prize my lower ranks, aquila taught me to need tiki torch. There's always a way!

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Dominooooo on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
1. Does it give health? No.
2. Does it give ample resist? No.
3. Does it give critical block? No.
4. Are there ways to block this? Yes.
5. Would an Ice sacrifice health, critical block, and resist, just for more critical? Likely not.
4. Is it overpowered, lacking 3 vital areas, with a way to block it?

Critical block can be easily acquired. Robes, boots, wands, athames, and rings give critical block.
Well for critical build I'm sure a lot of ices will use these boots for pvp. The truth is that I think its not right how fire and life wizards get a hat with only 120 critical from dragon armour while there are tons of other hats with more critical than 120. Not many boots give critical and if they do the critical tends to be low and won't get nearly has high as 120 critical.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90

Historian
May 06, 2009
stormninja542 on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
Well for critical build I'm sure a lot of ices will use these boots for pvp. The truth is that I think its not right how fire and life wizards get a hat with only 120 critical from dragon armour while there are tons of other hats with more critical than 120. Not many boots give critical and if they do the critical tends to be low and won't get nearly has high as 120 critical.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90
I think the gear sets were built for universal use by any player and to have an even power level. Not specifically for 1 school. All the sets that include a school dragon (or dragon-like) spell come with +120 critical according to the school of that spell. All of the spells are placed at 7 pips so as soon as I saw it, the critical was to hlep maximize the power of the spell card. That to me made sense. So if a Myth Wizard got the Dragon's Eye Hat (which gives a rank 7 Spinysaur and +120 Life Critical) and use Spinysaur, he/she would have a higher chance to make the spell stronger without blocking. Same goes for any off school users.

Let's not forget, that the Nightmare pack is one of the largest packs, so your chances of getting that one specific piece are diminished by a lot. Also this pack only comes twice a year, so it's not like it's that readily available year round. Don't forget that the gear gives no health, high resist, etc. Unless a large number of Wizards actually want to give up stats like that just for high critical (which is not all that reliable), odds are there won't be a shift that great in the Arena. Plus, we do have some Wizards with no taste for Packs so that ways in too.

I think this isn't going to cause that great of a problem for PvP

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
i want to agree, i saw this and just went
but when you think about it more, ice, death, and myth tend to not go for the critical spam approach. i don't think we should worry about it yet, and has anyone seen these in use in pvp? if so tell us what it was like.

Gabriel Ashcaller level 76 overlord

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:
I think the gear sets were built for universal use by any player and to have an even power level. Not specifically for 1 school. All the sets that include a school dragon (or dragon-like) spell come with +120 critical according to the school of that spell. All of the spells are placed at 7 pips so as soon as I saw it, the critical was to hlep maximize the power of the spell card. That to me made sense. So if a Myth Wizard got the Dragon's Eye Hat (which gives a rank 7 Spinysaur and +120 Life Critical) and use Spinysaur, he/she would have a higher chance to make the spell stronger without blocking. Same goes for any off school users.

Let's not forget, that the Nightmare pack is one of the largest packs, so your chances of getting that one specific piece are diminished by a lot. Also this pack only comes twice a year, so it's not like it's that readily available year round. Don't forget that the gear gives no health, high resist, etc. Unless a large number of Wizards actually want to give up stats like that just for high critical (which is not all that reliable), odds are there won't be a shift that great in the Arena. Plus, we do have some Wizards with no taste for Packs so that ways in too.

What I'm trying to get at is the fact that the hat gives 120 critical for that school and so does the boots. Now its kind of unfair since most hats give more than 120 critical making it unnecessary for use but the boots also give 120 critical while most boots give none or low critical rating.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
First i'd like to state, Ice and Death are NOT their favorites, and I would like to back this up with this:
Death drain attacks, the sun spells are weakened by I believed 50% when put on them, Dr. Von's damage is inbetween the first hit of Avenging Fossil. So they're equal in hits which is only about 990-11000. While storm has a 1800 damage I think it is, A huge portion of final bosses are death, so guess who is going to need a lot more prisms, one of our old spells was removed, which is basically the one the Amulet of Divine influence gives, We don't have a damage people, we can't heal ourselves good if we have a blade on us, feints can backfire, our Star spell gives us pip chance.
Now Ice: Weakest spells in game, they need so many blades to make their spells extremely powerful, and in PvP they only hit strong if you let them that is, I don't see many ice using 1 blade to hit, they stack them, thats why I have Enfeeble for my Storm, and the enfeeble amulet for my death, their main hits in PvP that i've noticed are over times, a triage could easily fix that, if you think about it, they almost deserve this, they've fallen behind in the hitting area, not to mention I believe Life characters deserve these stats too.
Level 90Miguel
Level 90Miguel
Level 40Miguel

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Cunning Finnigan S... on Oct 18, 2013 wrote:

well if that's what ki is trying to do then they need to stop because the only people trying to use another school other then there own are people with life mastery amulets that like to heal for less pips.