Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

critical vs critical block

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
Are there handicaps to PvP ? I have 395 critical without aura. and cant get criticals past players who have a very low critical block rating. Well low compared to my critical. I use conviction and I cant block criticals half the time! gets very frustrating. if there are handicaps in pvp please remove them or make my gear illegal for pvp, at least I will know what I have to work with in there. or can someone please explain to me how critical block is determined? thanks

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Yes this is something I would also like to know. At duelist101 they have a pretty good Idea but not know exactly how it works. I think it is something that KI needs to tell us. especially when this game is a pay to win. We want to know exactly what the stats do that we are paying for.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
its very simple. critical and critical block are separate things. you have a critical percentage and you have critical block percentage.

the critical will always do its thing when you attack and if the percentage does not fizzle then you critical. it doesn't matter how much critical you have when you critical, it just a thing that doubles your damage and does nothing else. when a critical comes to you your block kicks in.

critical block tries to block with whatever percentage you have and if it fails then it failed, nothing more nothing less.

many people believe that the more critical you have the less likely the other person is to block but that's not true. I have given you the facts(or at least as close to them as I can get since I didn't develop the game) so its up to you whether you accept them or not.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
gweedoboy on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
its very simple. critical and critical block are separate things. you have a critical percentage and you have critical block percentage.

the critical will always do its thing when you attack and if the percentage does not fizzle then you critical. it doesn't matter how much critical you have when you critical, it just a thing that doubles your damage and does nothing else. when a critical comes to you your block kicks in.

critical block tries to block with whatever percentage you have and if it fails then it failed, nothing more nothing less.

many people believe that the more critical you have the less likely the other person is to block but that's not true. I have given you the facts(or at least as close to them as I can get since I didn't develop the game) so its up to you whether you accept them or not.
Actually, the higher the critical you have the lower the chance is the the person will block. Why do you think 500 critical storms never get blocked? Also, the higher the block you have the more chance you have to block. It's that simple.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I don't believe your critical block percentage is your actual percentage to block because I block way more often than my critical block percentage.

My best guess is if a player gets a critical hit, the block percent is subtracted from the critical percent and that is the percent chance of a critical succeeding. So if you have 35% critical and I have 25% block and your critical is successful, you have a 35-25 = 10% chance to break through.

I have no evidence to support this theory other than my personal experience that I block criticals way more than my critical block percentage.

I don't really understand why KI wants to keep some of the game mechanics a secret. Knowledge and information would allows us wizards to make better decisions.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
thanks for the input, glad to hear its not just me.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
Malt22 on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
I don't believe your critical block percentage is your actual percentage to block because I block way more often than my critical block percentage.

My best guess is if a player gets a critical hit, the block percent is subtracted from the critical percent and that is the percent chance of a critical succeeding. So if you have 35% critical and I have 25% block and your critical is successful, you have a 35-25 = 10% chance to break through.

I have no evidence to support this theory other than my personal experience that I block criticals way more than my critical block percentage.

I don't really understand why KI wants to keep some of the game mechanics a secret. Knowledge and information would allows us wizards to make better decisions.
So if you have 10% critical and block each, you'd just not land a critical throughout the match? I don't feel like that's likely on your formula.