Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells need a completeoverhaul and here's why

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 18, 2012
Ok Wizard101 Staff, I have been a long time member but have only recently started playing again. One of the reasons I believe I lost interest in the game was due to the fact that while I enjoyed dueling, the gameplay became increasingly frustrating due to the lack of variety in the spells, as well as unattainable nature of collecting them. We'll get to the speed of the actual duel later.

I am like any other sap here that spends tens of thousands of crowns at a chance of gaining a new spell but that's not my main complaint here.

Part of the fun of the game is building a unique and varied deck, but some of that enjoyment is lost when mine looks like every other death wizards out there and PvP is left more to chance than actual skill. I cannot imagine the design and programming aspects of adding new spells can be that difficult, so why oh why can I get hundreds of different types of PET SNACKS and not the whole reason for playing the game?
Why not offer a spell design contest? I am sure the dedicated members here are chock full of suggestions that would improve the existing spells as well as ideas for new ones.

Ok. On the speed of the duel. It's like watching paint dry. I have written essays and cleaned my garage in the time it takes to summon a minion in this game. Although it's fun to see spells build, what take some spells 7+ seconds to complete could be done in less than 3.

Additionally, there are also existing spells that become completely useless because (it would appear) no one bothered to check to see how they actually work in battle. Beguile becomes completely useless in PvP unless used first and on a group attack. It's basically a black mantle with the exception of blades if used second and the element of surprise is lost when your opponent can pass.

I really enjoy this game, truly I do, but I want to see it improve and I believe you would see an increase in players that stay around if you would just introduce new spells and retire those that aren't up to par and replace them. There are plenty of creative minds on here that could be utilized for this purpose.

If anyone has anything to add that I didn't cover please feel free. I hope this does some good although I know I'm not the first to bring this matter to your attention.

Cheers

Elijah

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
The time it takes to use spells is part of the fun, because they are named, so they can't just be like you use Meteor Strike and all the enemies just have a quick 318.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
JOPIX227 on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
Ok Wizard101 Staff, I have been a long time member but have only recently started playing again. One of the reasons I believe I lost interest in the game was due to the fact that while I enjoyed dueling, the gameplay became increasingly frustrating due to the lack of variety in the spells, as well as unattainable nature of collecting them. We'll get to the speed of the actual duel later.

I am like any other sap here that spends tens of thousands of crowns at a chance of gaining a new spell but that's not my main complaint here.

Part of the fun of the game is building a unique and varied deck, but some of that enjoyment is lost when mine looks like every other death wizards out there and PvP is left more to chance than actual skill. I cannot imagine the design and programming aspects of adding new spells can be that difficult, so why oh why can I get hundreds of different types of PET SNACKS and not the whole reason for playing the game?
Why not offer a spell design contest? I am sure the dedicated members here are chock full of suggestions that would improve the existing spells as well as ideas for new ones.

Ok. On the speed of the duel. It's like watching paint dry. I have written essays and cleaned my garage in the time it takes to summon a minion in this game. Although it's fun to see spells build, what take some spells 7+ seconds to complete could be done in less than 3.

Additionally, there are also existing spells that become completely useless because (it would appear) no one bothered to check to see how they actually work in battle. Beguile becomes completely useless in PvP unless used first and on a group attack. It's basically a black mantle with the exception of blades if used second and the element of surprise is lost when your opponent can pass.

I really enjoy this game, truly I do, but I want to see it improve and I believe you would see an increase in players that stay around if you would just introduce new spells and retire those that aren't up to par and replace them. There are plenty of creative minds on here that could be utilized for this purpose.

If anyone has anything to add that I didn't cover please feel free. I hope this does some good although I know I'm not the first to bring this matter to your attention.

Cheers

Elijah
i think they should add higher level training point spells from the professors (you know like up to stormzilla from halston balestrom) maybe level 62 75 85 and 94

Survivor
May 18, 2012
herbivore5 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
The time it takes to use spells is part of the fun, because they are named, so they can't just be like you use Meteor Strike and all the enemies just have a quick 318.
I disagree. If I cast Dr. Vons I don't want to wait the whole 8 or 9 seconds it takes to attack it slows the battle down. I have been in matches that have seemed like hours because of how long it takes to cast some spells. Scarecrow is probably one of the quickest spells I have and even that would be look cooler if it just dealt out all the damage at once. I cannot be the only one who agree with this.

Cheers for your opinion.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
critical blizzard on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
i think they should add higher level training point spells from the professors (you know like up to stormzilla from halston balestrom) maybe level 62 75 85 and 94
please? secondary schools are becoming less and less meaningful especially with storm

Survivor
May 18, 2012
Spells I want to see:

Hysteria-- All cards in opponents hand becomes cloaked for 3 rounds to so they cannot see what they are casting.

Doppelgänger- Summon a replica of yourself with full pips for 3 rounds.

Kamikaze- Eliminate a target in exchange for the rest of your mana or health points.

Pumpkin bomb- Basically myth frog spell for death school, but with a giant pumpkin.

Anointment- Blades and shields all allies.

Immortality- Sacrifice half your health to revive self fully if defeated

Mass Vampire

Bride of death-- Similar to medusa, some sort of vampire bride comes out of a tomb and inflicts mass damage.

Mass blade conversion-- converts all foes blades into weakness.

Time lord- Some sort of godfather death type that recasts last 2 attacks on enemies.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
... 'Kamikaze' spell could alternately be called Frenzy for obvious cultural sensitivity concerns.

another suggestion: Krampus- Summons a wicked santa claus type on a sleigh led by skeletal reindeer, all of which do damage.

More X-mas themed ideas:

Decorative Strangle-- Summons Christmas lights that bind your enemy, stuns and does damage to them.

Enraged Christmas Tree- A living xmas tree creature. Spins around and smacks enemy with nettles.

Obsidian Menorah-- A candelabra scalds/poisons your enemies slowly for 9 rounds for each candle. Reduced damage.

If there's an admin reading these and wants more, let me know! Maybe we could work crowns or membership for a list of ideas similar to these.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
More ideas I've been playing with.

Most of these are death centered but could be twerked for other schools.

Entombment- A casket appears from beneath an enemy, trapping him and dragging him down with it again. Deals min. 1000 damage alone. 7 pips.

Wildebeest -- Animal Human Hybrid, probably myth or balance school.

Magnet- Steals blades and shields from target, placing them on you.

Hades- A lord of the underworld character rips into opponent. Could get creative with this.

Hecate-- Similar to Hades, female greek god creature. Does severe damage and some sort of effect also.

Birthright-- Reverses battle positions, letting you go first each round.

The Fates- Three sisters appear and spin a loom, generating energy that is cast on enemies. Myth. 8 pips.

Weird Sisters- Similar to spell above, geared towards death school and with three witches gathered.

Diviner/Seer- Balance. allows you to see opponent's spell selection for three rounds before they confirm.

Godiva- Lady godiva on a white horse does damage, probably with an oversized ornate bow (to cover her nakedness.) Heals all allies on exit.

Snake Charmer-- a small basket appears in the center of the field, and some sort of swami plays a flute over it, and instead of a small snake a giant basilisk erupts from it and does damage to enemy.

Jekyll/Hyde-- Dr. Jekyll appears from the mist with a doctors bag and deals damage. He spins around and there is Hyde on the back of his head, dealing diff. damage.

Plague Dr.-- Cloaked figure in plague doctors mask appears and does damage to enemies, puts enchanted (50%) plague on them. Heals caster.

Confusion-- Converts all enemies attacks for 1 round.

Hallucination- Basically beguile but how beguile SHOULD work. All attacks, all heals, and opponent MUST cast at some point, no skipping or blading to avoid it. Order does not matter.

Mirage-- Egyptian cat creature is summoned, grows exponentially larger in front of enemy (think heck hound but bigger), and scratch attacks them.

Thanks.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
JOPIX227 on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
... 'Kamikaze' spell could alternately be called Frenzy for obvious cultural sensitivity concerns.

another suggestion: Krampus- Summons a wicked santa claus type on a sleigh led by skeletal reindeer, all of which do damage.

More X-mas themed ideas:

Decorative Strangle-- Summons Christmas lights that bind your enemy, stuns and does damage to them.

Enraged Christmas Tree- A living xmas tree creature. Spins around and smacks enemy with nettles.

Obsidian Menorah-- A candelabra scalds/poisons your enemies slowly for 9 rounds for each candle. Reduced damage.

If there's an admin reading these and wants more, let me know! Maybe we could work crowns or membership for a list of ideas similar to these.
I have no problem having events/spells for winter holidays (and I say that because there is more than one), but assigning them to Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion or holiday specifically is just a bad idea. And Before anybody thinks of using CENSORING or POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, I'm not trying to censor anybody and am quite comfortable with people saying Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa or anything else they want to in order to extend good wishes for me during the December Month.

I think that if KI wants to be original, they would make up a holiday, a symbol and spells revolving around those holidays, but more important, they could always use SEASONS (which are neutrally affected) and go with them.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
Purge- Remove all traps and charms from the target.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I think the spells actually sped up a bit after the last update. I was pleased.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
JOPIX227 on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:
I disagree. If I cast Dr. Vons I don't want to wait the whole 8 or 9 seconds it takes to attack it slows the battle down. I have been in matches that have seemed like hours because of how long it takes to cast some spells. Scarecrow is probably one of the quickest spells I have and even that would be look cooler if it just dealt out all the damage at once. I cannot be the only one who agree with this.

Cheers for your opinion.
So what you're saying is that to take away everything that KI put a lot of time into? To take away the fun of spells? Younger kids may like these features because it adds creativity to this game. KI put a ton of time into these animations and you are saying to throw all of this work away. Sorry, I disagree.
-Molly level 83

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
The game would be so boring without the animations and it just wouldn't add up. It's just what the combat is surrounded on. I am sorry you do not like it.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
Lucas Rain on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
I think the spells actually sped up a bit after the last update. I was pleased.
I noticed the speed improved with the update as well! Very pleased.

So what you're saying is that to take away everything that KI put a lot of time into? To take away the fun of spells? Younger kids may like these features because it adds creativity to this game. KI put a ton of time into these animations and you are saying to throw all of this work away. Sorry, I disagree.
-Molly level 83

No. I am suggesting they improve existing spells or discontinue them like they do with other items so only some wizards will have 1st or 2nd generation spells. The spells need to be looked at again.

In addition to that, adding spells will improve the game exponentially.

No one is saying throw anything way, you have misread if that is what you got from post, but the feeling I got from your post is "why fix what isn't broken" and I think of at least 10 spells that are indeed in need of improving.

Cheers.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
dayerider on Oct 28, 2013 wrote:
I have no problem having events/spells for winter holidays (and I say that because there is more than one), but assigning them to Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion or holiday specifically is just a bad idea. And Before anybody thinks of using CENSORING or POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, I'm not trying to censor anybody and am quite comfortable with people saying Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa or anything else they want to in order to extend good wishes for me during the December Month.

I think that if KI wants to be original, they would make up a holiday, a symbol and spells revolving around those holidays, but more important, they could always use SEASONS (which are neutrally affected) and go with them.
Sorry, but trying to being overly PC to please a select group of nit-picking, puritanical or prudish people is ridiculous. There are already several Christmas themed items in the game. Being inclusive to ALL faiths or lackthereof (flying spaghetti monster card anyone?) is the right way of going about things, not doing away with the rest because some invented, hypothetical person gets up in arms about saying Merry Christmas or Happy Kwanzaa.

Obsidian Menorah ftw!!

Defender
Jan 03, 2013

More X-mas themed ideas:

There is already a spell named Krampus in Wizard101, it is on the pet Lump of Coal and has 400 base fire damage and a smokescreen add. Sorry to dampen your spirits fellow wizard but the ability sounds nice.

Kane Deathbringer Lvl 90 Death

Future Youtube Domain Name: ElementedExodia

Survivor
May 18, 2012
I'm not trying to incite anything here, but I think my comments are valid and my intentions are in the right place at least. I hope KingsIsle will take my comments into consideration, but it wouldn't hurt to have another voice here for the affirmative.

I don't know why there are people getting disgruntled over the prospect of new spells and improvements to the game. Some people would rather see the bridge fall out from beneath them than concede to the fact that the infrastructure might need examining.

Take care.

Explorer
May 17, 2010
I had a suggestion in another thread that you might like. Since you and many of us multitask during battles because you are waiting so long, I thought it would be helpful to be able to start selecting or manipulating the cards in your hand, getting ready for the next round. That could both give you more time to think/act on your hand and allow them to reduce the 30 second time limit on hand manipulate since you can get it done during the round. This would be especially appreciated for when you have that person who is afk and we are all waiting for the timer to run out.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Sorry, but trying to being overly PC to please a select group of nit-picking, puritanical or prudish people is ridiculous. There are already several Christmas themed items in the game. Being inclusive to ALL faiths or lackthereof (flying spaghetti monster card anyone?) is the right way of going about things, not doing away with the rest because some invented, hypothetical person gets up in arms about saying Merry Christmas or Happy Kwanzaa.

Obsidian Menorah ftw!!
I completely agree that it's ridiculous, but Im thinking of it from the standpoint that these idiots who ARE overly PC will complain and complain until they get things changed. I'm saying, start off with something a little more neutral to lessen the chances of it being PCd. the PC movement is ruining us all

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
On-topic:

Probably thousands of spells got tested for each school, and the few dozen that we are able to train are the result of culling some great ideas that just didn't mesh:

--They were hard to code or debug or didn't play well with hanging or static effects
--They were overpowered or underpowered
--The mechanic didn't fit the flavor of the school but the spell didn't have a place anywhere else
--The spell did something that was too similar to another school's spell and was removed or changed
--The spell was upgraded and later released with a different world

The reason why every level 90 death warlord's deck looks similar (and i'm speaking hypothetically here, cause this seems open for thoughtful debate) is because after months of questing, dueling, and practice, death wizards have discovered which of their 40 odd spells are the most cost-effective, efficient, and versatile. These are the ones you see. The reason why you don't see Skeletal Pirate is because Deer Knight is simply more versatile and in most cases, more efficient for the same pips.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
crunkatog on Oct 31, 2013 wrote:
On-topic:

Probably thousands of spells got tested for each school, and the few dozen that we are able to train are the result of culling some great ideas that just didn't mesh:

--They were hard to code or debug or didn't play well with hanging or static effects
--They were overpowered or underpowered
--The mechanic didn't fit the flavor of the school but the spell didn't have a place anywhere else
--The spell did something that was too similar to another school's spell and was removed or changed
--The spell was upgraded and later released with a different world

The reason why every level 90 death warlord's deck looks similar (and i'm speaking hypothetically here, cause this seems open for thoughtful debate) is because after months of questing, dueling, and practice, death wizards have discovered which of their 40 odd spells are the most cost-effective, efficient, and versatile. These are the ones you see. The reason why you don't see Skeletal Pirate is because Deer Knight is simply more versatile and in most cases, more efficient for the same pips.
and I wouldn't narrow it to warlord status either. Many who DON'T PvP have similar builds to their deck because they've been proven to work. Certain strategies just work, and so many people employ them. PvP I'm sure sees this even higher with the more successful duelers.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
Water, Earth, Fire goblins and not the little imps elves that do not damage.
Belial- Cuts an opponents' base life points by a quarter.
Life, Death, Fire, Thunder, etc.. Wards: Negates all incoming school attacks for three rounds
backfire, reverses all spells for 2 rounds.
Telekinesis: Ice only. Summons ice blades or icicles that levitate and attack opponent.
Thorns: A flower emerges from below an opponent and traps him, whipping him with vines or tendrils or some crap like that.
Sever: Breaks all overtime spells and traps.
Betrayal: Deflect 1 attack or attack over time to an ally or minion. Death only.
Incantation: a sort of zelda-ish song starts playing and a white light appears around self or ally and heals fully, complete shield set.
Palladin: self explanatory.
Abductor: A crop circle appears in the middle of a field and a UFO appears and zaps a light at opponent dealing 1000 base damage and steals all shields, charms (good or bad) and blades.

whew.