Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Keep Hatching or Start Over

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2013
So ... for all you pet experts out there ...

I am trying to figure out if a pet fails at adult if I should hatch it again? Or go back to parent? I'll give you an example:

Just bought and trained a Nightmare. It got Unicorn and Feeling Feint. Perfect. Hatched it with sea dragon, and 2nd gen nightmare now has pip o plenty and mana gift. UGH. I'm pretty sure it has Unicorn and Feint but just not manifested. Not sure if it got Spritely (manifested in sea dragon).

1) So do I keep going with new nightmare? Or go back to old?

2) Do I train the failed pet further to see additional talents?

3) The other thing I've considered is getting a 2nd first gen pet to hatch together with its "twin" to have unlimited "1st gen" pets for gold, not crowns/chance if the first one fails. Good idea or not?

Thanks for ideas / opinions!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Valdus Wildheart on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:

I am trying to figure out if a pet fails at adult if I should hatch it again? Or go back to parent? I'll give you an example:

Just bought and trained a Nightmare. It got Unicorn and Feeling Feint. Perfect. Hatched it with sea dragon, and 2nd gen nightmare now has pip o plenty and mana gift. UGH. I'm pretty sure it has Unicorn and Feint but just not manifested. Not sure if it got Spritely (manifested in sea dragon).

3) The other thing I've considered is getting a 2nd first gen pet to hatch together with its "twin" to have unlimited "1st gen" pets for gold, not crowns/chance if the first one fails. Good idea or not?

We tend to go back to the original parents because they have the original 10 talents in their pools.

Example: I have a leopard pet, I wanted it to have spritely, we hatched it with a Phoenix even though that did not have Spritely manifested the leopard baby got it by adult. The original Leopard had Fire Blade, the baby has May Cast Fire Blade.

Hatching 2nd generation pets is a gamble because you don't know what 10 talents it inherited from it's 2 different parents. This could work out ok or not.

If I want all 5 talents in one pet I never continue to train once a fail shows up - it's back to the drawing board at that point.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009

The randomness of the odds make it too hard to predict. I hatched two pets from the same set of parents, one was all junk traits and one became a triple healer with may cast tower shield. Ya just never know.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
it kind of depends. If you think the new pet is closer to what you want, hatch with it. But if it has lost a talent you need, go back to the one before. My rule is to use the pet that seems to have the most talents I want in its pool.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like a "fresh" pet may be best option if it fails (i.e., just keep buying the star fish until you get one with proof and sprite), vs hatching two failed starfish. In that case it's easy as they're just gold.

When it's crowns it's harder. In that case I'll probably just roll back to the failed twin parents (i.e., two sea dragons) which should give me identical talents in the offspring (yes?), but hopefully different ones manifest. Disarmament seems to be a beast to get rid of though.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011

Alway sack pets that manifest a bad talent like mana gift. I used to train failed pets further, but some wise guys from the hatchery enlightened me. After that i became really successfull with hatching, and by now i have some great pets (SPUDF, PUDDF, etc.) thanks to the good advice.