Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please help "Pet Slots Quesion"

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2012
I've been playing wizard for about 4 years now and have yet to see a real good tutorial on understanding pet slots. There is a science to this because there are way to many folks who understand the hatching thing running around with epic pets. Now don't get me wrong I'm not being sarcastic by any means. My hats off to them!! I've tried many times to get some education on hatching pets only to have someone with a "pretty good pet" drag me through a hatch and ask me what slots I got. They then spout off very little info to what I should get and what the slot means in reflection to what talent the pet will have. I've been told stop training at Adult if they don't get good talents but no reasoning behind why I need to stop training. I realize there is a lot of luck involved but also some knowledge that will get you a better pet. I have one Mega that got his best talent when he hit Mega. If I had stopped training I never would have known. Again I'm not being sarcastic just haven't run into anyone who has the time to explain it the way I need it explained. I've run into several who have epic pets that wont even talk to you......now that's just mean. I guess it could be a pain to have folks screaming for a hatch but I simply want to understand it more than anything. I don't lurk the hatchery begging for hatches. I would on the other hand be glad to explain it if I knew more about it. Isn't that what the game is really about anyway? Helping each other. Anyway, could someone help educate me so I can be on my way to creating more epic pets.....please. Thanks ahead of time

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Amber, I have done a lot of pet hatching on my own, and some with others. I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about with the "slots" thing. But the Wizard101 Central site has a good overview of pets, hatching, and how the breeding of pets works over time. Here is the link:
www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Pets

for specific information on pet hatching, there is a very detailed section. Here is that link:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets

I think you may find these helpful. The second one in particular gives you a good idea of how to breed pets for certain abilities and pedigree over several generations. Hope this helps!

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Oct 2, 2013 wrote:
Amber, I have done a lot of pet hatching on my own, and some with others. I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about with the "slots" thing. But the Wizard101 Central site has a good overview of pets, hatching, and how the breeding of pets works over time. Here is the link:
www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Pets

for specific information on pet hatching, there is a very detailed section. Here is that link:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets

I think you may find these helpful. The second one in particular gives you a good idea of how to breed pets for certain abilities and pedigree over several generations. Hope this helps!
GREAT links. Thank you FinnAgainWindrider

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
The reason that people say "stop training at adult if neither of the first two traits is 'good' " is that it takes a LOT of training and pet snacks to train up to the higher levels, and it's basically a gamble. Sure, your mega pet got his best talent at mega, but it was just as likely that it could have been his worst talent. Most people want to be assured that if they invest the time, gold coins,and pet snacks into leveling up their pet to a high level, that it will have some kind of usefulness to them.

The other reason to stop early is that a pet will transfer its revealed skills to its offspring more often than it will transfer its hidden skills. If you have a pet that has a possibility of revealing spritely (to name a trait that many people desire) and you train it to mega only to find that none of its five skills are spritely, then you've created a pet that is highly UNlikely to ever breed a baby that will inherit spritely.

If a trait like spritely is what you desire, then your best bet is to breed until you get that skill revealed at teen or adult, and then decide whether or not you want to train it up the rest of the way. That way you don't waste all of your resources and/or "damage" your pet in the process.