Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions from a pet training rookie

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
I have been playing the game for about a year now but have never been into the whole pet thing. This has changed since my Ice wizard just got its level 58 pet and I would now like to train it but have a few questions that are not getting answered by reading the other threads.

1) does it matter what you train your pet in; example will, power, intellangence, strength. Does training in one or the other effect what spell your pet will get? If not then are those things mainly for the pet derby?

2) does it matter if I feed my pet ice snacks or something else?

3) does telling your pet "good girl" or "good boy" effect how often it will cast spells like ice blade or spiritly?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
wolf blueriver on Aug 26, 2013 wrote:
I have been playing the game for about a year now but have never been into the whole pet thing. This has changed since my Ice wizard just got its level 58 pet and I would now like to train it but have a few questions that are not getting answered by reading the other threads.

1) does it matter what you train your pet in; example will, power, intellangence, strength. Does training in one or the other effect what spell your pet will get? If not then are those things mainly for the pet derby?

3) does telling your pet "good girl" or "good boy" effect how often it will cast spells like ice blade or spiritly?
5 talents are set for the pet at time of hatch.

Feeding your pet snacks it Likes or Loves helps level it faster - any snacks over 7 help even more.

Talking to your pet is not mandatory for it to preform any better. We have a player that constantly tells his pet he is going to throw him in the garbage and that does seem to wake him up but it's purely coincidence really .

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

1) Look at the stats for your pet. It will have different stats (numbers) for each ... I try to train per those stats.
2) Try to train your pet things it likes (look up your specific pet at the link below); it will always like same-school snacks and will 'love' some as well.
3) No. No. No. All 'may cast' talents are random.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
No to all 3 questions.

Pet talents are predetermined at birth. The Will, agility, and strength things are for pet derby, but they can also help improve resist, damage, and accuracy(among other things) from talents that your pet gets.

It only matters what type of snack you feed your pets if you want to boost strength, will, agility, and power (I think I forgot to mention one of them). Ice snacks will also give your pet more xp after training it in a game.

Telling your pet "good girl" or whatever doesn't cause the pet to cast it's 'May cast' more often. I still do it anyways whenever my pet heals me when I need it though

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011

1: No. It doesn't, if you train strength lets say, it will increase resistance stats slightly/damage stats for example. It doesn't effect what talents your pet will get. (All pet talents are selected randomly when the egg is hatched.)

2: Nope. You can feed your pet whatever snacks you want.

3: No, its random. I believe the may casts are triggered by something such as getting attacked by the enemy for example.