Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell to change who goes first in duels

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
masterryan1969 on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:
I have a better answer for this.

give player 1 on each team a choice in a rock, paper, sissors game. The win from that mini game goes first. no new spell needed.
I disagree, that is not a better way to decide--for reasons we have already discussed at length. See the above posts indicating how people win with giant one-hit cards, while the second-turn player is powerless to stop it.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
critical blizzard on Jan 12, 2014 wrote:
so what school would it be (even the trainable spell reshuffle is balance) most people would probably get mastery amulets for whatever school however anyway post what school it is and i will post my edit
It wouldn't be school specific--in the last thread I made about this I think I suggested Astral, so no school could dominate the spell.

And I'm not married to the idea of it being 2 pips. It could be X rank for all I care, we just need this spell in some form.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Lucas Rain on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:
It wouldn't be school specific--in the last thread I made about this I think I suggested Astral, so no school could dominate the spell.

And I'm not married to the idea of it being 2 pips. It could be X rank for all I care, we just need this spell in some form.
what if they make an astral mastery amulet?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
critical blizzard on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
what if they make an astral mastery amulet?
All astral spells are 0 pips, so this likely won't happen.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly, I agree with Mysteryman. It would be more fair than what we have now. Also if they the turn system like Pirate101 does with 2 separate distinct planning phases it would help. Going second has always been a disadvantage with this game.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
Lucas Rain on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
Ever had this happen in PVP?

Balance lvl 35 vs Storm lvl 35
goes first .......... goes second
1: shield .......... bolt
2: shield .......... blade
3: blade .......... bolt
4: shield .......... blade
5: hex/feint .......... bolt
6: infallible .......... almost doesn't matter what you do
7: judgment .......... *dies*

AT ANY POINT, having a spell that changes who goes first could shift the outcome of this battle. Please think about it.
I think in that situation, it's completely the storm's fault for dying. He never bothered to shield.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
I like how the turn system is already. I think that adding in this spell would just be unnecessary.

The second turn disadvantage isn't that bad, if you know what you are doing, you should be able to overcome the obstacle. Plus, there isnt a better feeling than winning from second :P

In the examples you gave, I find that some of the wizards going second aren't being the "best". And there's plenty of real life situations where a wizard wins from second(some of which, can be found on youtube). Going second isn't a complete disability that puts the wizard going second at certain death when the person going first is getting a large single hit set up, which was what it seems you were trying to illustrate in your examples.

Explorer
Aug 25, 2012
Lucas Rain on Sep 20, 2013 wrote:
Myth lvl 35 vs Death lvl 35
goes first .......... goes second
1: myth minion.......... shield
2: mythblade.......... deathblade (shield broken)
3: spirit blade.......... vampire on minion
4: myth bubble.......... weakness
5: wand.......... shield
6: shield.......... wand minion (minion dies)
7: weakness.......... weakness
8: wand.......... wand
9: infallible .......... doesn't matter what you do
10: orthrus.......... *dies*

This could have been different outcome if Death lvl 35 could change who started the round.
For #9..what about casting virrulent plague, myth dispel, weakness, or black mantle? Beguile would also work.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
AustinShadowSwordA... on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
For #9..what about casting virrulent plague, myth dispel, weakness, or black mantle? Beguile would also work.
I absolutely agree, there are many ways you can attempt to thwart your first-turn opponents, but I would point out that being super-resourceful is currently our best response to an unfair system, and unfortunately, all of our current solutions are imperfect. Sometimes the cards you need will not show; sometimes they fail to weaken your opponent enough, sometimes you fizzle when you really needed not to, sometimes your opponent gets an unforeseen critical... in sum, sometimes there you are left with no way out and you have to lose simply because you were given the second turn. That's where I think we need a fix, because unlike packing the right cards and using them, turns are something we currently have no control over.

If players could change whose turn it was to go first, the iron-clad advantage of going first disappears. I don't mean to say this is a perfect fix, but it was not intended to be. It was just meant to level the playing field a bit more.