Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bosses saying disturbing things

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2013
Yeah. You're right, it is really disturbing.

Mycin Thundersword Lvl 27

Survivor
Oct 19, 2013
I agree some younger players may get frightened and tell their parents KI should make it atleast a bit more kid safe for younger players. Some May go like this or this maybe even this in fright . I have seen a 4 year old play. They need to make it More Family friendly ( though it mostly already is ) .

Duncan LegendShield Pet Trainer

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
There is a boss in Zafaria, the Black Palace I think. This Boss says: "Feeling better, let me show you my stuff" O.o no thank you lol

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Have you read about aztec history?! seriously, human sacrifices, in groups, while the victims were conscious. Thank your lucky stars azteca is only superficially based on aztec culture.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Oh my I know what you mean! My 'friend' is quite young and gets scared by the dialogue in Cyclopes Lane.
"I gonna pound you into putty!" said by a Cyclopes really scared her! She/he wasn't online for 2 weeks!
I got a little uncomfortable about what someone said in Grizzleheim. The boss said (entirely from memory may not be quite accurate)," I smash you and take all your gold too!" Guess what? I lost. I was so scared I looked in my bag for gold and it was all there.

I know! The next game Kings Isle can make is a kid's version of wizard101, though probably not!

Victoria MoonBreeze Level 46

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
Hello John. Did you read the rating for this game? It's E10+.
I'm still really scared about the dialogue.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
Wait a second...........

Are all the bosses in Azteca like that? And there is a new world coming around Thanksgiving and I need to get through Azteca to get there.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
I completely agree. There was one in The Wild where the giant was talking about hanging your blood stained clothes on his wall, and another in cl saying that you were fresh meat.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
StormofSpades on Aug 26, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, but I'm kinda immune to it. And it's just a game. Dont like, dont read.

Remember, this game does say for everyone 10+. And yes, it is a family game. For people 10+.

But it is a little disturbing. Just remember it's all pixels. And your Wizard can zap them (in my case).
Dude, ten year olds aren't ready for this kind of stuff. I mean seriously, some of the stuff they say is just creepy.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Why haven't one of the teachers taken care of this topic yet?

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Northlite on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Actually it's always been my thoughts that I and the monsters are defeated not "killed".

I guess tho if I was to lose enough blood to this monster if I didn't defeat him I would be killed?

I do see the knocked unconscious part as being true since head spinning does go on.
While that's true for some, there are some bosses that have been heavily implied that you killed them. When you defeat Krokhotep, his ghost appears later, I'm definitely convinced I ended him. When you beat Malistaire, he then appears as a spirit. And I think there's some boss in Azteca where they actually mentioned he turned to dust.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
dragon of platypi on Nov 15, 2013 wrote:
Dude, ten year olds aren't ready for this kind of stuff. I mean seriously, some of the stuff they say is just creepy.
Not true for most ten-year olds. If you look at TV shows geared toward that age range, many are as bad if not worse. Also, by the time I was ten, I was going to camp, singing camp songs about "Greasy, grimy gopher guts". While true that there are some ten-year olds out there who aren't mature enough to read and hear such things, it's their parents' responsibility to judge what they may or may not do based on their particular circumstances, not use the ESRB rating or a phrase like "family friendly" as an excuse to ignore their parental duties to make sure that what their kids are doing is appropriate to the maturity level of their specific kids. As to those talking about even younger kids playing, this applies even more, since their parents are't just using the rating as an excuse, but rather they are completely disregarding it.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
Also, I do believe this would be more appropriate for Ravenwood Commons (discussing things currently in the game) or the Dorm (Suggestions for improvement). "Problems and bugs" implies unintentional issues with the game, whereas I'm sure that the lines you're talking were put in the game on purpose. (Kinda hard to see how dialogue would accidentally make it's way into the game).

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
Lol I find the bosses Comment Wierd but the things they say make me laugh.
But if a boss says somthing mean to me i pwn it ...

Survivor
May 04, 2013
Alura BH on Aug 9, 2013 wrote:
Also, in Tartarus, the Floating Dog heads 0-0. That is so disturbing.
Aqulia is based on Greek Mythology. Tartarus is where greeks believed souls went when they died. Though I don't blame you. Greek Mythology can be freaky at times

But other than that i agree what they say at times can be gross. I just try to move past it. (BTW that might be why the game is ages 10+)

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
I really don't have a problem with any of it. When I watch reruns of spongebob, I catch on all the "inappropriate" jokes they say that I never would have known what they were talking about when I was a kid.

Squire
May 10, 2013
The higher-content dialogue the boss uses kind of shows you how powerful. In my way, its not disturbing.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
Some are a bit disturbing. Like when Bane Wyrm says "Enter, wizard...my teeth like swords! My claws, spears! And my breath... death!" Its not as disturbing as it is creepy. But there are some other ones that sort of freak me out. But does it matter? Its nice to have a little twist like that.

~Angela Gem

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
I can respect your view point. For a moment, I didn't know if you have read or scene aspects of dark/tradgic stories. I was also unaware if you were a parent or not. Like I said, we have a very diverse community. I constantly fool myself into believing its a majority of younger people. Wizard101 has a way of just doing that. I've enjoyed the past 4-5 years of gaming I've played this game. Their hasn't been a moment where the play has wavered. I've grown up with this game. Both of my siblings think the same way.
My brother is the one I have to thank for getting me into Wizard101. We both still play Wizard101 as well as Pirate101 and temendously love both games. I like the story of Wizard101 and I like how KI is able to write and protray a strong story with balance of dark and light. At an early start, I was devoted to the story so much I would never allow challenge to stand in my way of finishing the story. This is just how I feel and I realize not everyone has that kind of devotion or time to put in a game.

As a younger person, I'm attracted to stories that can balance dark and light very well without being just one side. Too much light makes a story incredibly unrealistic, overly sweet, and wouldn't attract as many players. Too dark can be very off-putting, down-right disturbing, and a complete turn off for many. If someone can play both sides very well, I'm hooked on their tale. But I can understand that while I may like this story as a young person, and it could certainly work for that audience, it's not entirely ideal for a more family setting.

When it comes to Azteca, a 45 minute-hour boss fight or 10-15 minute mob fight is managable for me as I like long duels. But I understand that not everyone is attracted to this battle play. I don't think we can get around long battles. We can delay them all we want, but at some point Wizard101 would see long battles if you look at the progression of the first arc. Battles in Marleybone are nearly 3 times as long as the ones in Wizard City. I don't think we can do anything about Azteca's repititive story set up. While KI has removed quests before, I don't think they are open redoing a worlds arc. While I'm hesitant to admit it, if it goes toward the greater-good (as in more players in and enjoying Azteca), I'd support some re-scripting of some bosses. The most that can be done about Azteca is reworking the difficulty of the world (as well as the whole arc, which I pose an idea on this thread https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/all-i-feel-the-2nd-arc-needs-8ad6a41640c928330140daec8a6c49dd ) to ensure shorter battles and a gradual climb to what we see now. Some health reworking may also help and making crafting quests a little easier. I'm hoping KI has planned some changes to Azteca in their next major update this Nov./Dec. over the last year after all the feedback on the world.
KI has gone back into Azteca and fixed the enemies' strength. I remember going through Azteca and I didn't enjoy how much time it took me to finish at all! Now, I'm a fan of ancient cultures and ancient mythology but Azteca just took the strength of the enemies too far. Worlds I'm a fan of are: Krokotopia- Ancient Egypt; Grizzleheim and Wintertusk- Norse Mythology; Marleybone- Industrial England; Mooshu- Ancient Japan; Celestia- Atlantis; Zafaria- African Kingdoms; Avalon- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table; Azteca (Yes, I did enjoy it but just not the fights)- Central/South American Tribes (Inca, Aztec and Maya); Aquila- Ancient Greece and Roman Empire (Able to split it up easily- Architecture= Greece and Clothing= Rome). Now I have not seen enough of Khrysalis to determine whether it is based off something from real life or if it is just another random world thrown into the mix like Wizard City, Dragonspyre, and Wysteria.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
You guys should re read Grimm's Fairy Tales. Talk about graphic and scary. It is all over story telling and just a part of a bad guy being a bad guy. It's just a story and not real. It's put there to make you feel a bit uncomfortable so you enjoy it more when you royally kick his or her tush. Relax, its just a story.

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
That's ... very disturbing. This is a family game. For parents and children ( and others as well) to play. I don't particularly pay attention to the things bosses say but, ... that's just ... too graphic. Its one thing for bosses to be saying silly stuff, but the disturbingly graphicly detailed threats ... just eww.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth

Survivor
Jan 14, 2011
My opinion, I was never bothered by this kind of thing, even when I was 5 and already playing violent games- never scared by it at all. But I understand, there are definitely little kids on this game that are bothered by it, and that is what I fear for
I can't remember when I joined wizard101, but it was before Celestia, so I never thought that kind of a thing would happen, but in the time I was gone, it did. And now? Not liking the game nearly as much because of it.
Solution? Put an actual age limit on the game, or at least make them ask their parents first... that would probably help if past experience is anything today.

Or... something. Anything at all that they think might help, I will go along with, but only to a certain point.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I've played through with many wizards now and I really appreciate how the game becomes more mature. I think that's why it can keep adults attention or some at least. I enjoy the complex story lines and that the bosses and other characters speak with intelligence and not like a nickelodeon show.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2013
I really don't see the bid deal but maybe thats because I'm an older player

Alexandra lvl 6

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
personally, i think you guys are overreacting. In terms of video games, wizard 101 is very kid friendly. If your gonna be scared of that, there are plenty of things you could be more scared of, like going through tombs and caves and fighting and summoning dead people. If a boss saying something scary gives a kid nightmares, they probably shouldn't play wizard 101.