Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bosses saying disturbing things

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Dr Von on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
for the sake of my future minions... *cough* i mean, the little wizards out there, i want to say yes, change it to something less creepy. but von likes creepy... decisions, decisions.

-von "that doesn't make sense, and you're being creepy" shadowsong
Yea... "My Future minions" dude no offense but your NOT the overlord of wizard duh

Adambattlethief level 42 and magic

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Cunning Finnigan S... on Sep 10, 2013 wrote:
Going from Wizard City to Azteca is over 10 worlds. I would think that is enough time to take a gradual side of things to progress from light to dark. It's not like a slap in your face when you join. There have been plenty of kid-oriented shows that had a light feeling in the beginng only to take a dark tone near the end. Wizard101 is no different.
As someone pointed out, "dark" lines came in around Avalon so one could assume it was going to progress darker. And with the obvious inability to stop Xibalba from hitting Azteca, it's dark story was already sealed. Also the story is still incomplete so things might lighten up. To me, Azteca is like the sacrifice point of a story that really kick-starts the protagonist to stop evil. Also how is Azteca not appropriate to the game as a whole?

While we're on the topic, what about Dragonspyre? How do you go from a wonder and delight of Wizard City, to an apocolyptic, ghost haunted, half-burnt Dragonspyre? Is that not dark as well?
I agree I've been to the necoropolis there is littiarly giant gaps in the walkways and I can't believed it was half burnt by a 1300 feet tall fire dragon that is kinda harsh if u acctualy see it happening.....yikes

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Hey you ever noticed at the of winter bane hall the cold dragon lines may your bones split and guts come out
Talk about a major TAUNT XD

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
swaysway755 on May 16, 2014 wrote:
Hey you ever noticed at the of winter bane hall the cold dragon lines may your bones split and guts come out
Talk about a major TAUNT XD
XD, hows that for a mental image XD.

Good call, good call.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2010
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
That's just creepy with the blood thing. Hopefully, they will change it for the sake of the children.

Jennifer Angleheart 49

Survivor
Apr 06, 2014
coolguy2170 on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:
Guys I really don't like this like when i was in Atlantea I killed this death boss
Named lamia he said the word I pray you die to death
A boss in celestia when I was fighting this boss at thre end
He said I will bury you!!! A boss in achima named koro
The killed he said come back again and I will rip out
Your eyeballs and heart and eat them is this even for 10 year olds
Ok, what is Achima? What are you even talking about?

Survivor
Apr 06, 2014
I really love these sort of creepy sayings, as they get me excited. I haven't even flinched in 4 years of playing the game. But, if you are really worried about this stuff, maybe there could be a setting which dialed down the morbidity of some of the boss comments. Please do not get rid of the current boss phrases altogether though, as us teenage players appreciate this.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2012
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

i dont agree completely.

Here's one of the ones i sometimes laugh and sometimes dont

Erikur AxeBreaker (found in winterbane)

His last phrase: Come a little closer wizard and let me vomit coldfire upon you!

50% chance i'll laugh or not laugh
I do like the phrase though cause it suits him being so strong

Survivor
May 13, 2014
You guys are worried about something on a game?? Ever thought about the fact that kids probably hear worse language than that in every day life? Like a few people have said, if it bothers you that much, ignore it. I personally don't see what's so bad about what the bosses are saying. Then again, I'm only lvl 33. But still, as I get higher I probably won't have any issues because I'm not someone who gets hung up over a game. Just my opinions

Survivor
Jul 03, 2012
The most disturbing boss i have seen said along the lines of "-will rip out your flesh and drink your blood-"

Really kingisle? I found this guy in Zafaria!

Survivor
May 20, 2010
I thought the entire Cenote was kind of freaky, with all the "The dead have awoken and they are huuuungry" I honestly was kind of weirded out by this but I guess it makes me feel more satisfactory for finishing the cenote and defeating all the hungry dead.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
blaze ashblood on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
a boss in celestia (I can't remember who it is) says something like "i smell wizardry soon there will be blood on the water" i think it was kind of disturbing.

blaze ashblood lvl 70 fire
That was a shark boss, of course he's going to say something about blood in the water.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
FinnAgainWindrider on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
Thanks a lot for all your thoughtful input.

I recognize that in many stories, including those for children, there are characters who are sacrificed or tragedies that occur to spur a story on. Some of them are quite good. I have read a lot of fantasy books in the course of my life, those aimed at younger audiences, and those aimed at adults. These things can make for a good read, and can be used for great literary and even educational effect.

But the particular turn in Azteca, both in this kind of dialogue, and in the kind of fights and the length of dungeons, and all of that, is killing the game for a lot of players. I speak as a parent of a daughter, a daughter who got me to play this game to begin with, but who now rarely plays because it is no longer fun for her. It does not add any value to her day to get stuck in long battles. She does not find this darker harder turn to the game any fun at all.

I speak also as someone who has enjoyed the game a great deal, precisely because it was lighter, more cheerful, and brought a spark of overall fun and happiness to my day. The real world itself is dark enough, without making family games dark as well. If I want sacrificial challenges, I can turn on the news or try to lobby my politicians to do something good for the world (and I do those things as well). But as a parent, if I want to spend some quality time gaming with my child, it is neither fun nor desired to deal with bosses who say disturbing things, battles or dungeons that take ridiculous amounts of repetition or several hours to complete, or world cataclysm.

I suspect KI does have a light planned for the eventual end of this arc of the Wizard101 story. But whether or not they do have that light planned, this particular world just went too far in the wrong direction. There were some parts still that were funny -- the ones you mentioned are good examples, and I also found the Conquistador monkeys had some humor to them. But on the whole, the tone of the world, the tone of some of the dialogue (which is the theme of this thread, and which I admit I have overstepped already), the excessively difficult and unrewarding crafting, the tediously unbalanced nature of the fights, and the length of time it takes to accomplish anything -- all of this adds up to a world and a gaming experience that is just not fun or appropriate for younger kids. It is also not fun or appropriate for many of us who are parents of the kids, and who just want to be able to relax and enjoy some time playing a family-friendly kind of game.

I appreciate you standing up for KI, and for the art of dramatic storytelling. Perhaps the arc as a whole might work as a series of young people's literature. But as a family gaming experience, this arc in general, and Azteca in particular, do not live up to the quality of the first arc. KI set high standards in the first arc. I just want those standards to be met in every world.
Your average kid just wants to get through the game ASAP, and doesn't look at the dialogue.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
crunkatog on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, some of these are a bit creepy and graphic.

Good old Poca-You-in-the-Eye Cruel Star.

Cipactli is sort of nauseating too. "Go into my mouth" and all that.

I suppose it contributes to the atmosphere of gruesome monsters and vengeful undead. But earlier versions of the "I'm going to eat you" theme were well played. "Who ordered wizard for lunch?" and such were funnier and in better taste. (Pardon the pun)
I remember when i was battling the gobbler boss from Wizard City (i forgot the place) and i remember that phrase. I was a little kid at the time, and i laughed like crazy! I wish they would make more jokes for the bosses so it would make the young ones laugh too!

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
If Wizard101 was going to target an older audience, i bet it would loose a lot of players because of their parents watching. It would be a big loss for Kingsisle and the whole mmo! But that would never happen because, Kingsisle can take control of this game. So don't worry, because everything will be alright for generations to come.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but the over sensitivity these days is just annoying. In case most of you hadn't noticed, the world is not all flowers and lollipops. Most of the offensive phrases people are bringing up have to do with death and blood. Look around you, the entire world is full of both every single day. You and your kids wouldn't exist and be able to play this game without some death and blood. I have kids that play this game too, and it's taken my daughter four years to get from level 1 to level 55. She and my son rarely actually read what these bosses/npc's are saying. As others have said, Wizard City and other early zones don't have as much of this language for a reason. By the time your children get to higher levels, they should be able to handle such things. If they are still 7 years old in Azteca then you let your kid play video games too much and that's probably doing far more harm to them than any phrases put in by KI. If they are still upset over such talk by the time they get to the end of the game then perhaps you should show them some of real life and let them see how their food gets to their plate....talk about some death and blood. Basically, these phrases are still G rated at least. If you and your kids can't handle that, you should probably reevaluate reality a bit and perhaps stick to frogger or pac-man.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
Firefister420 on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but the over sensitivity these days is just annoying. In case most of you hadn't noticed, the world is not all flowers and lollipops. Most of the offensive phrases people are bringing up have to do with death and blood. Look around you, the entire world is full of both every single day. You and your kids wouldn't exist and be able to play this game without some death and blood. I have kids that play this game too, and it's taken my daughter four years to get from level 1 to level 55. She and my son rarely actually read what these bosses/npc's are saying. As others have said, Wizard City and other early zones don't have as much of this language for a reason. By the time your children get to higher levels, they should be able to handle such things. If they are still 7 years old in Azteca then you let your kid play video games too much and that's probably doing far more harm to them than any phrases put in by KI. If they are still upset over such talk by the time they get to the end of the game then perhaps you should show them some of real life and let them see how their food gets to their plate....talk about some death and blood. Basically, these phrases are still G rated at least. If you and your kids can't handle that, you should probably reevaluate reality a bit and perhaps stick to frogger or pac-man.
You're correct in all ways possible (i agree with you)

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
Honestly, I've encountered slightly disturbing things from the beginning, in wizard city, all of the bosses talk about death. I mean, in a subtle way. Foulgaze is indeed the worst. But I usually skip through all of the talk.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2011
"The last thing you will see is my face as you drift away" and all that,i can see(or hear ) it.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2011
I kinda think ur worrying too much. kids who would be scared by that wouldn't even be in avalon or... whatever.

Survivor
Mar 19, 2014
Your most likely in Azteca or avalon not many kids are in that area most kids are in wizard city through celestia and by then they just think its to hard so they give up, so that gives a opportunity for kingsisle to make the game more appealing to the older age group since they realize that more and more of the players on wizard101 are 13+ in age.

Level 57 In Zafaria

Level 46 in Celestia

Level 13 in Krokotopia

Level 10 in WizardCity

Survivor
May 06, 2013
if you notice a fantasy book has gloomy parts only to eventually end in peace in most books like in eragon
harry potter it is gloomy until final villain dies then it starts peaceful again it just at a conflict right now but after morganthe this villain in khrysalis ends it can start a new villain that starts more peaceful look at grizzlehiem it started peaceful then changed to horrible but ends peacefully.

Defender
Dec 12, 2012
BELGRIM 101 on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
There is a boss in Zafaria, the Black Palace I think. This Boss says: "Feeling better, let me show you my stuff" O.o no thank you lol
I think he means treasure or possesions, not what you think it is. (KI would NEVER do that in a game like this. Think, they won't let people lie in beds because of the kids playing the game)

Survivor
Mar 11, 2009
I can't agree more. I don't find any of it that bad, but young children absolutely will. I can understand KI wanting to keep a dark tone, but some of these things are just gruesome. They could tone down on the disturbing dialogue just a bit, while still keeping the dark tone, by doing things like this:
"I have a bad taste in my mouth... perhaps you could help me with this?"
More mature players will be able to guess what he means by that, but younger players will find it much less disturbing.
There's not really any excuses for the final boss of Winterbane though... that even shook ME up a bit. I can only imagine how young children will feel reading that.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013

Well, the game does start getting harder and scarier as you go on, but think about it. Most people who get past Grandmaster aren't kids anymore, anyways.
Myrna Dragoncloud