Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bosses saying disturbing things

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 13, 2013
I agree. From what I've heard from your posts, the diologe is gruesome and disgusting. My Friends younger brother plays and he is 8. I don't want to sound like a whinny person, but I belive that the diologe is meant for teens some of us are younger players and are not really ready for this type of talk. I usually just skip to the battle, though. I belive that KL should get the diologe fixed to better.

All are born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
I don't feel this way you are supposed to be 10+ and it's said when you register for the game.

Timothy TitanFlame: Level 83 Diviner

Survivor
Jul 09, 2011
I do agree that this is wrong, but, kids that have nightmares from that probably don't read, or cant read what it says. Also the label does say crude humor

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
crunkatog on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
Not a helpful suggestion.

Kids aren't going to know what's coming next, they will have their sound on when they hop on the sigil. Guess what? They will still hear and see it.
I haven't had my sound on since Wizard City, still a kid here. :P

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 49 theurgist

Survivor
Dec 16, 2013
I agree with original post. And why is it that industries think that to "entertain" the adult population there has to be some sort of vulgar acts, language, or the like? Let's just keep the game safe for all who may play. It will be just as fun without potentially inappropriate content.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2012
I don't agree with this at all. Being too sensitive is not good for anyone. If you feel ok about having a 20 foot ogre smash your apponents with a giant hammer or a skeleton knight decapitate\disembowel, albeit without any gore, each enemy with an axe (early on in the game) but then complain about them very mildly setting the mood later on in the game where there aren't many young ones, well then I'm sorry but i don't think this is the game for you. I hear tic-tact-toe is a fun game to play.

Survivor
Dec 03, 2011
John RubySpear on Aug 2, 2013 wrote:
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

John RubySpear PvP Captain (A1)
I ridicule KI on many things, but this is not one of them. This is just their way of adding "fun" to questing. There are some major issues that need to be addressed on this game, so I don't waste my time on minor boss dialogues (sorry but that's just how I roll; I always look at the big picture). So, my advice to you is to not sweat the small stuff.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2012
So you know how when you enter a boss-cave and you get a little chat sequence with the boss, which is usually some kinda threat? Allot of these little intros aren't very serious but some actually made me sick to the stomach, no joke, and I feel they may not be kid appropriate either.

There was this one boss in mangrove marsh or somewhere around that area, and what I heard was a bit disturbing. " I have an empty hole inside of me, why dont you come and let me try to fill it with your heart". It could just be me, but this does not sound ok, at least that's what I think.

Another chat intro I though was bad was when in you fight some guy in Tierra de brea, named "Bad Taste", he tells about this so called "bad taste". He then says something along the lines of " I've got a bad taste in my mouth, why don't I try washing it out with your blood" I am very serious and this is not a joke, I found this to be just plain morbid and sickening, that's just my opinion though...

I don't aim to offend those who designed the game, I just though this should be rebooked. Thanks.

I do realize that this is a bit disturbing but also you realize that they might have done this because little kids don't usually get that far into the game? really! when I was in DS I saw about TWO people with a chat ban or whatever its called :P but I repeat, Little kids usually never get that far into the game to see these features.

Luke NightTalon lvl 60

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Malorn AshThorn446 on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
KI has gone back into Azteca and fixed the enemies' strength. I remember going through Azteca and I didn't enjoy how much time it took me to finish at all! Now, I'm a fan of ancient cultures and ancient mythology but Azteca just took the strength of the enemies too far. Worlds I'm a fan of are: Krokotopia- Ancient Egypt; Grizzleheim and Wintertusk- Norse Mythology; Marleybone- Industrial England; Mooshu- Ancient Japan; Celestia- Atlantis; Zafaria- African Kingdoms; Avalon- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table; Azteca (Yes, I did enjoy it but just not the fights)- Central/South American Tribes (Inca, Aztec and Maya); Aquila- Ancient Greece and Roman Empire (Able to split it up easily- Architecture= Greece and Clothing= Rome). Now I have not seen enough of Khrysalis to determine whether it is based off something from real life or if it is just another random world thrown into the mix like Wizard City, Dragonspyre, and Wysteria.
Ok. On the point of Dragonspyre, it isn't just a random world thrown into the mix. Dragonspyre is based on the eruption of Mount Vesuvius and the destruction of Pompeii. Now for those of you who don't know either of these I will give a very basic explanation. Mount Vesuvius is a currently dormant volcano in Italy. Pompeii was a ancient roman city that was near Vesuvius. On one day, Mount Vesuvius became active after being dormant for many years. The lava and ash took a different route than normal, towards Pompeii. The people of Pompeii thought nothing of it and were sure the lava and ash weren't going to come anywhere near them. During that day, the people of Pompeii went about their normal routines thinking that they were in no danger. They found out too late that they were wrong, and the citizens were killed and the town destroyed. As of this day, Pompeii is now a historical site and still lays in ruins with the citizens were they were when they died.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2010
Watching my brother play through Azteca, I've noticed that a lot of the mobs are pretty disturbing.
I'm not scared of them, but I can see them being scary towards younger players.

Defender
Jan 31, 2010
Talon Sky Song on Jan 18, 2014 wrote:
Watching my brother play through Azteca, I've noticed that a lot of the mobs are pretty disturbing.
I'm not scared of them, but I can see them being scary towards younger players.
Yea... Though I think I know which ones you mean... You are most likely referring to what the Aztecosaurs call the "Hungry Dead". This is just their name for the zombies/undead that have stirred due to Morganthe's arrival. Though you could possibly be referring to the Monquistans, who are stuck up and insulting. Personally, I'd love the opportunity to crush Ponce de Gibbon under my boot... Those stupid monkeys argue over even the smallest of things! Pretty much like Colonial Era Europeans, who were too full of themselves and only sought to rule the entire world. They were actually stopped in their tracks when the arrived in the Americas and met the native people, such as the Native Americans (or Indians as they are more commonly referred to), and the Aztecs. The Spanish met the Aztecs and they got along fine, but then they started fighting and the Spanish killed the Aztecs and took all the gold they had. The English met the Native Americans, and the got along. But unlike the greedy Spanish, the English pushed the natives to the west many times over. After the American Colonies gained their independence, the Native Americans continued to be kicked off their land, until they were put in reservations.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2012
indeed! didn't one of the enemies said something about my blood being splattered on the wall! in sunken city I think. *shudder*
they didn't make it that kid friendly! also they say some rude stuff sometimes. prospector zeke said "dangit!"
why did they add spiders? and the giant stone dragon in dragonspyre on the volcano! its face really creeps me out! they really need to stop having such rude dialog

Explorer
Dec 23, 2009
i see where your coming from but i don't think its bad at all. Ive seen much worse in my gaming days. its really nothing to worry about. i mean they have to spice things up a bit to keep their older audience like me, most "kids" these days are playing games like Call of duty, Battlefield, and Skyrim anyway so i doubt it will be a major problem to anyone above the age of 8. And even if it is, kids that young might not even grasp what the Character/ Boss is trying to imply anyway. Just my opinion.

Colin DragonHunter-

Explorer
Dec 23, 2009
wepeo on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
maybe im just too insensitive but I think that is no big deal at all. you guys are really over reacting. sorry. I don't mean to offend
I agree Buddy

Survivor
Jul 17, 2010
You guys should lighten up, I find the boss intros pretty funny specially when they easily get defeated. I mean really this game doesn't need to make all the boss intros like PBS kids makes their shows.

Survivor
Nov 01, 2013
Agreed. This game is advertised for young players. No matter the level in the game, it should stay appropriate for all ages. Please edit anything too graphic for young players, in words or imagery. Thank You.

Survivor
Dec 03, 2011
Wolf Battleshard on Jan 20, 2014 wrote:
indeed! didn't one of the enemies said something about my blood being splattered on the wall! in sunken city I think. *shudder*
they didn't make it that kid friendly! also they say some rude stuff sometimes. prospector zeke said "dangit!"
why did they add spiders? and the giant stone dragon in dragonspyre on the volcano! its face really creeps me out! they really need to stop having such rude dialog
Believe me, if KI started changing stuff like that there would be way too many updates. Saying dangit, having spiders in the game, and having a giant stone DRAGON in DRAGONspyre aren't exactly things to complain about or be scared of. You probably didn't read that the game is rated 10+ and there is "crude humor," whichever way you want to interpret that. KI has these things in the game to add to the mood of the world, area, etc. If you think that stuff is "rude" or "creepy," try going to the Commons in Wizard City in a crowded realm and you'll notice how many creeps play this game. "I need a girl/boy," cursing around filters, spamming gift requests, and the like. This is just a prelude to what you'll see.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
I am Sorry And do not mean to offend anyone in any way ....

Really complaining about phrases that are in the game .... the game is fine the way it is .... If Kings Isle thought for one second that the content was bad ... They wouldn't put it in.... But then again opinions are like .... well we won't go there .... But everyone has one ....

Thanks For Reading

Survivor
Jul 17, 2010
Spectral Evidence on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
Actually the bosses in Avalon had some pretty gruesome things to say as well. here are two I remember off the top of my head "Who are you? Prepare to have your flesh torn, vermin!" and Soon your blood-splattered garb will hang from my walls!" So as you can see the real increase in the intensity of their speech actually started in Avalon

Sincerely, Spectral Evidence

That's not bad for a game that says 10 and up, besides what you see in science class for you know what are more disturbing and they show you that at the age of 10.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011
Lightning76543 on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
Believe me, if KI started changing stuff like that there would be way too many updates. Saying dangit, having spiders in the game, and having a giant stone DRAGON in DRAGONspyre aren't exactly things to complain about or be scared of. You probably didn't read that the game is rated 10+ and there is "crude humor," whichever way you want to interpret that. KI has these things in the game to add to the mood of the world, area, etc. If you think that stuff is "rude" or "creepy," try going to the Commons in Wizard City in a crowded realm and you'll notice how many creeps play this game. "I need a girl/boy," cursing around filters, spamming gift requests, and the like. This is just a prelude to what you'll see.
Well said and agreed. If you don't follow the Rating of a game then that's your own fault. Now where I'm from, there's kids that play Call of Duty who aren't even in the Rated T age yet, and getting upset just because someone says 'blood' in their dialogue or some close to it isn't really something to complain about. 'Blood' has been stereotyped to be gruesome and gorey when, in all reality, it is our life essence. Too many horror movies depict 'blood' as a bad thing. Besides it's just a game and is never meant to be taken seriously. If someone saying 'your bloodspattered garb' or the likes gives you nightmares then I say don't play and calm down lol

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 85

P.S: Agreed, the Commons are a LOT scarier than the so-called 'grueseome' dialogue. You've got kids making sexual comments/remarks/requests, asking to hook up with complete strangers in an online relationship, and cursing around the filter. THESE are should be what parents are more worried about, not 5 second dialogues that can be skipped or ignored if you don't like them. You can't please everyone, only the general public.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2013
I think it's creepy too! It,s disturbing and scares my friends who play it. One person won't even play it anymore!

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012

This is whatsoever not okay.

I am not an older player, but not a kid.

I am in Dragonspyre and nothing in the dialogue is abusive or threatening. But, from what I've read, it creeps me.

The guy who said something about bad taste, no wonder he has bad taste! Does he drink blood as a substitute for water?

Azteca is designed to be an intense world, but it is made for kids. Adults can play but it is rated E 10+. Remember that, Kingsisle.

~Abigail DragonDreamer
Level 47 Pyromancer

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
In my opinion this is just an other topic created to shift out the responsibility of parenting to KingsIsle. If you find those remarks disturbing for your kids don't let them play video games at all.

Now its discussed whether or not the bosses should say these lines, next up is the question if we should still allow the Death School, all those undead might scare your kids. Where will it end I ask you?

Maybe they should remove the different schools and all violence from the game! Remove the chat system alltogether en introduce a universal school! Rainbow school where all players can only cast rainbows at each other and you win by hugging your opponent!

Honestly parents, grandparents step up. If your kids cannot handle a simple text line and get nightmares cause a cartoon boss said ''let me eat you wizard'' deinstall the game and let them play outside with other kids. Good parenting doesn't end once your children are behind a computer screen.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2009
Noah Shadowweaver on Mar 14, 2014 wrote:
In my opinion this is just an other topic created to shift out the responsibility of parenting to KingsIsle. If you find those remarks disturbing for your kids don't let them play video games at all.

Now its discussed whether or not the bosses should say these lines, next up is the question if we should still allow the Death School, all those undead might scare your kids. Where will it end I ask you?

Maybe they should remove the different schools and all violence from the game! Remove the chat system alltogether en introduce a universal school! Rainbow school where all players can only cast rainbows at each other and you win by hugging your opponent!

Honestly parents, grandparents step up. If your kids cannot handle a simple text line and get nightmares cause a cartoon boss said ''let me eat you wizard'' deinstall the game and let them play outside with other kids. Good parenting doesn't end once your children are behind a computer screen.
Lol i get the reference. SarcastaBall. Absolutely brilliant XD

(Also pray unlike in that episode, that KI doesn't actually do that. I think we're both aware how that ended.)

and on the subject of bosses saying disturbing things, I'm fairly certain there is an option to mute the npc and the bosses all together so to all the children out there who are scared to death and back by the bosses, just mute em and immediately close their dialog boxes without reading what ever gibberish they wanna say to you, then go zap 'em, or burn 'em, or freeze 'em or what ever your school is.

Aaron Raven Stone
LvL 87

Explorer
Nov 16, 2012