Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice Wizards.. Enough Powerful?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
Well yeah as you noticed i'm an ice wizard ;D
Alicia Starbloom level 52
And well I got back my membership for Summer (YAY!) and i wanted to ask this:
Am I the only one that thinks that the Ice school is the weakest school?
I'm not complaining at all! I love ice spells, and i also like the fact that we are the school with the biggest defense. But Ice wizards start to dissapear since its not beneficial for players to choose the school with the lowest attack...

What do you think?

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Ice can be as powerful as you choose to make it. I've seen some Ice wizards who have 80+ resist to certain schools and I've seen some who focus more on attack.

I've been leveling my Ice wizard (who isn't very far behind yours) and I'm finding that it does take a certain amount of patience. However, if you want more power I'd recommend Sun spells and leveling up to 60 so that you can farm for the Waterworks gear. (Which, from what I've heard, is one of the best, if not the best, gear set out there for that level.)

Good luck questing.

Scarlet Nightdreamer, level 89 Diviner
Alura Unicornglade, level 45 Thaumaturge

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I have found if you work with the pluses and minuses of each school to your benefit you can mold quite a powerful wizard no matter what school they are.

Agreed that some schools take a little more thought then others and for some reason I don't relate as well as I could with some but I work harder on those to get what I need out of them.

Each school is different for a reason.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Yes ice needs to blade and trap more, you can't just walk into a circle and temp away the enemies in one turn.

Ice has the highest possible resist, so once you start WT and craft your gear in Sudrilund, you will see a vast improvement in your ability to hang around long enough to get the job done.

You also have many spells to stun enemies (except bosses who are usually stun-immune) and a graded range of AoE spells that reward your blade stacking efforts. Blizzard spam is highly effective. Frostbite and Snow Angel keep shields off for your bigger hits. You have two mutates that sell like hotcakes in the Bazaar - mutate kraken and mutate elf - which provide you with additional ways to boost your damage output on the backs of other schools.

Ice/life and ice/death are good combos to be even more of a tank, or punch through for surprise damage, respectively. You can afford to spam feint relentlessly because you are already a tank.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
DemeCharls on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
I'm not complaining at all! I love ice spells, and i also like the fact that we are the school with the biggest defense. But Ice wizards start to dissapear since its not beneficial for players to choose the school with the lowest attack...

What do you think?
you, my friend, have obviously never met quequeg's super-ice-tank Brynn;
clearly, this needs fixing.

-

ice's base damage is weak, yes. but they also have the highest health, resist, and critical block.
storm has the highest base damage and critical, but with lowest health, resist, and block.

notice a pattern?

ice's damage is like storm's accuracy~ terrible to start, lowest in the game; but, just as storm can achieve perfect accuracy by level 60, ice can pull off storm-strength hits by that point as well. once you see super-tank Brynn in action, you'll see exactly what i mean.

oh, and welcome back!

-dr. von awesomestein the undying, esquire;
1/2 of team vonqueg, half-evil balance wizard.

promethean and
archmage
grandmaster
magus and
adept

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
DemeCharls on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:

What do you think?
Ice wizards are not weak in any way shape or form, if played correctly. By level 52 you finally have your ice blade. Use it with ice trap and stack with the elemental traps/blades you should have learned in Krok. Make sure your gear is not just for protection. I've soloed through the game to where I am now, Zafaria, with Ice. Ice does require patience, as Professor Greyrose states early on.
And Ice will never disappear... people love the high health.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
sure there weak but as you said they have big defence there not disappearing people are just choosing them as their secondary school and not their primary.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
im an ice wizard because I decided that ice storm would be a good combo having high damage and health.
outside of primary schools ice is simply worthless, life has 10% more yadda yadda, but I find it to be mediocre as ive soloed up to temple of storms which id solo if I had more crowns. I find that as secondary its utterly pointless but as primary is good
Caleb Ghostmask,
lvl 27

Explorer
Apr 27, 2012
Well Ice is supposed to be quite a weaker school in the strength area, but they make up for it in defense, and other talents, such as stuns. Whenever I am against I'm an Ice wizard in a PvP (especially ranked), I'm like "No!" because they are so hard to beat, with their high health, tower shields, and stuns.

If you still feel weak, try to increase your damage and critical ratings. It does wonders

- Savannah LifeHunter, Level 71

Survivor
Sep 26, 2010
Every school has their strength and weaknesses. While yes, ice's strong point is defense, there weak point is DEFINITELY not low attack, have you seen life? Even for me it SEEMS my school is thinning out, bbut really it is just the fact that i barely run into one now a days in the farther worlds, and the chance we need to ever know each other's school? 1/10000 especially if you are in dragon spyre, many of the farther worlds dont require you to go back to dragon spyre, and it is hard to get to dragon spyre and many people give up at marleybone, so stay strong kiddo!

-Matthew Goldthief level 76 Fire wizard

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Ice is basically the top contender for the BEST school in this game, not even close to the worst by FAR.

80% resist to fire and storm and a tower shield to everything else JUST ON YOUR ARMOR is so insanely good that it's not even fair, their spellset is also more solid than most schools packed with AoEs, DoTs, and stuns alike.

It's borderline OP in PvE and PvP.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
oh geez. ice is too powerful if you ask me!!!!! my ice is arch, and it took me about 2 days to get her pvp rank to 1300 (paige frostpetal, check me out on the leaderboards!!!) I thought i beat the game fast on my death, but ice can solo way better. spells and blades make up for lack of attack power, so does resist. my suggestion is to craft ASAP (but not the azteca ice craft gear. its terrible. please dont do that to me with the new world ki). Anyways, good luck with your ices all! its super fun for me :-)

Defender
Oct 24, 2010
Are you kidding me?
I find ice school the EASIEST school to solo with.

Survivor
May 25, 2013
I think that KI needs to stop listening to wizard101 "fans".
You want more detail Well...
a wizard101 "fan" wanted ice immunity. then another "fan" complained.
See what I mean And yes, I did want to give a link to a page, but I can't find it!
It's suposed to be titled "a rant" and I did agree on it but it was on wizard101 central forums(hope you get what I mean) but I can't find it!

Tyler Deathsong level 10

I wanted to make a new post... SO I DID!

Edit: the link I was talking about was this, http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?343488-A-Rant

Survivor
Jul 12, 2012
to me i think ice got the most and more defence so i think its fair

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Ice is weak in the lower levels. You don't get your blade until well into Mooshu.

My Promethean Ice has soloed the entire game, including all dungeons (and side dungeons). I worked really hard on her gear throughout the game by doing a lot of crafting. Once you hit level 56 and can craft the Wintertusk gear, it's smooth sailing from there.

No matter what level an Ice is, you still have to blade and trap more than other schools. But, if one can learn the school inside and out, knowing it's strengths and weaknesses, it can be an awesome school.

I am the super-tank Ice that Dr. Von is talking about. It's not just the resist I have, but my health and playing style that makes me a tank in any situation.

For PvE, my basic gear stats are:

Health: 6120
Damage: 45
Resist: 84 Fire, 80 Storm, 51 to all others
Healing: 31%
Resist: 178 - 221
Pips: 74%
Accuracy: +6%
Critical: 167

The stats are my running around PvE gear. I do carry several different gear sets, so my stats can change depending on what type of battle and what type of school I'm fighting.

Ice is made for defense. It's made to last in a battle while we take the time to blade and trap.

super-tank Brynn, L90 Ice

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
well ice pretty much sucks to all other schools BECAUSE when fighting it it is a pain unless your storm when you can just blade trap windstorm bam 2000 damage BUT when your playing ice its awesome according to my friends (I haven't done ice yet) you have high health high defence so you only get your heal taken bye like 300 at a time.

so in my opinion ice is great when your playing it but horrible when fighting it

dragonsteel50 lvl 37 "Master your deck and you master the game"

Survivor
Dec 10, 2010
Way too many complaints about schools and spells. if you put some time into learning they are all good schools its a matter of wanting everything to be easy without trying !

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
dragonsteel50 on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
well ice pretty much sucks to all other schools BECAUSE when fighting it it is a pain unless your storm when you can just blade trap windstorm bam 2000 damage BUT when your playing ice its awesome according to my friends (I haven't done ice yet) you have high health high defence so you only get your heal taken bye like 300 at a time.

so in my opinion ice is great when your playing it but horrible when fighting it

dragonsteel50 lvl 37 "Master your deck and you master the game"
that's because, unlike ice, storm's defensive stats are garbage~ their steroid damage simply gives them a chance at survival.

ice can, quite literally, sit there and take damage for hours on end. storm is the go-big-or-go-home school: either you will hit big, or you will fizzle and "go home" to the commons... they have nothing for resistance, block, or health (my level 80 storm has 2700 health, level 35 ice has 2200), but their damage is high because, well, the enemies can't kill you if they're dead...

(and brynner is not kidding~ i've met her wizard in-game, and she *is* a tank)

-v.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2012
me personally i think ice wizards are weak. all they have is high resistance and good critical block. other then that ice isnt doing any damage, just taking damage. ice may have all of these "perks" but i think every other school is better then ice.

Eric-promethean

Eric-master

Eric stormblade- promethean

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
If it is damage you seek;
than you may think we are weak;
But with time and without assist;
You shall find our resist;
Dualist;
Makes Ice the coolest.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture

PS: I know a lot of people have already said this, but I wanted to put it in poem form

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
ericlvl90 on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:
me personally i think ice wizards are weak. all they have is high resistance and good critical block. other then that ice isnt doing any damage, just taking damage. ice may have all of these "perks" but i think every other school is better then ice.

Eric-promethean

Eric-master

Eric stormblade- promethean
once again, you have not met brynner's ice wizard~
and, once again, this needs fixing.

ice can and will pull off storm-strength hits, provided that their owners can harness their full power.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2010
Ice is definitely powerful enough. It has crazy resist and other stats if it had as high attack as storm or fire it would be almost impossible to beat. is fine the way it is

Survivor
Jul 26, 2012
Laura Shadowsong on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
that's because, unlike ice, storm's defensive stats are garbage~ their steroid damage simply gives them a chance at survival.

ice can, quite literally, sit there and take damage for hours on end. storm is the go-big-or-go-home school: either you will hit big, or you will fizzle and "go home" to the commons... they have nothing for resistance, block, or health (my level 80 storm has 2700 health, level 35 ice has 2200), but their damage is high because, well, the enemies can't kill you if they're dead...

(and brynner is not kidding~ i've met her wizard in-game, and she *is* a tank)

-v.
im sorry but your speaking in general my stats are awesome I use the defense and accuracy that I need in my stats then I leave the rest to my deck for example if its a tight match and I get one shot before I die I can make my storm spells have 100% accuracy.

its all about how good your gear is and how much money you are willing to spend getting it ( both real and fake)

storm spells start with 70 per cent accuracy. I have lightning strike spell in my deck +10 accuracy, I have the accuracy spell in my deck +15 accuracy and my accuracy stats are +5 ( Dragon riders utility boots; dragon riders helm)

Survivor
May 11, 2010
Ice is the weakest school (damage wise) but has the highest health.

Andrew Dragontamer - Level 7 wizard.