Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why getting a "perfect" pet is impossible

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 23, 2011
If you have a bad pet then no one will hatch with you, so you can't get the talents you need. Is that easy, NO ONE will hatch will you if you have a bad pet. My friend have been trying to hatch with a good pet but the onwer's answear is always "no". So how do you get a good pet? Train? Will all i can say is good luck because i've been doing mirror lake for a while and i got bunch of mega snack, and i trained my seadragons and other pets with good stats but all i get is bad talents, How in the world are you going to get a pet with poorf? Is poorf like 1 out of 100? Or the game hates me? So to all ppl who's trying to get a good pet : good luck, Well i hate to say it but there is NO WAY you getting a good pet.

BTW: i have been hatched with pets that have proof, but i NEVER get proof! How did other ppl get proof? Or is the game just hates me? I've trying to get a good pet for like 5 month now (by doing mirror many times and train pets) but i never seem to get a pet who have proof or deefy! And no ONE with a good pet will hatch with me because my pet is bad.

So thats why getting a good pet is impossible... <----- the sad truth

Survivor
Apr 08, 2013
So first of all I have no idea what proof is so I can't help you there, but if you go to the fallowing link (you might have to copy and paste cause I can't figure out how to actually do a link) you can see all the pets and their abilities. Or you could just go to pets and click on talents click the talent your looking for and see what pets have that talent. See you in the spiral. Hope this helps!

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets

Jasmine DragonBane level 53

Survivor
Mar 13, 2010
That's exactly how I feel! I have decent pets, sorta and no good pets ever want to hatch with me! Everyone starts out with bad pets, and it's basically a 1 in 100 chance you'll get some talents that people want! It's complicated.

Alyssa Fairyheart
Level 80

Defender
Mar 19, 2011
As somebody who has short-term memory i just need say this before i forget

You or anyone else doesn't need a good pet, with great stats,but a nice person willing to hatch.
When questing thru zafaria i always wanted a life minatour yet thru thousands of battles and long
wasted hours i never received life Minotaur from the guy in GH, then one day i meet this friendly
player who had an epic life minatour with spritely,unicorn,spell proof and spell defy.I was astonished I then came up with a devious plan to get her life Minotaur I helped her out all the way thru zafaria until one day she said , Thanks for helping me Jeremy want anything in return: Hoard pack,help Farming in WW you name it .
I said what about hatching? she said Sure. Me celebrating i throwing my keyboard thru the 17 story high hotel
cheering and hopping before my mom came home and saw what i did I got my first out of seventy billions Life Minotaur's That will be 17.00 dllrs for the first paragraph Jk
Jeremy Darksmith lvl 87
When too demons collide only the best one can come out alive" JeffnJane

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Death commander on Jun 10, 2013 wrote:
If you have a bad pet then no one will hatch with you, so you can't get the talents you need. Is that easy, NO ONE will hatch will you if you have a bad pet. My friend have been trying to hatch with a good pet but the onwer's answear is always "no". So how do you get a good pet? Train? Will all i can say is good luck because i've been doing mirror lake for a while and i got bunch of mega snack, and i trained my seadragons and other pets with good stats but all i get is bad talents, How in the world are you going to get a pet with poorf? Is poorf like 1 out of 100? Or the game hates me? So to all ppl who's trying to get a good pet : good luck, Well i hate to say it but there is NO WAY you getting a good pet.

BTW: i have been hatched with pets that have proof, but i NEVER get proof! How did other ppl get proof? Or is the game just hates me? I've trying to get a good pet for like 5 month now (by doing mirror many times and train pets) but i never seem to get a pet who have proof or deefy! And no ONE with a good pet will hatch with me because my pet is bad.

Give me a TFC My characters name is Ryan I can probably get you a hatch or two or whatever this week. I have various pets that many call perfect. Also note it took me 2 years to get proof and defy with sprite in the same pet also took me 2 more years to get the perfect red ghost with proof, defy, sprite, fairy, cast tower. That's doing 1-2 hatches a day 6-7 days a week.

I have these really good pets on my character
a life mino with proof, defy, sprite, unicorn. gets cast tower at mega this was my final pet before fairy came out.
polar cat with proof, defy, sprite, fairy, unicorn
magma colossus with proof, defy, sprite, fairy, unicorn
red ghost with proof, defy, sprite, fairy, cast tower

above are my top pets in backpack ( with real close to 250 to SAP) so proof is always 10% etc

i have others in vaious stages working on a polar cat in hopes to get healing surge in my mix so far fairy, sprite its only an adult. would like to see HC show up then proof, defy who knows.

anyway get me a TFC i will even highlight your star on my list

hope i can help thanks. ( one thing you need to get my pet get away from the sea dragon model it may be haunted hehe)

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Well getting a pet with the 5 talents that you want is difficult, but not impossible.
4 out of 5 is very achievable.
You mentioned Sea Dragons, that is a very good place to start with pets. Most all of my dragons manifested proof. Defy is not in the line, so you will have to hatch for that.

My advice is to train only to adult, then keep hatching subsequent generations with good pets. When you have hatched 2 pets each with talents you want, then train to higher levels. If you get a pet with 3 good ones, rehatch with one of the original parents. You will have setbacks. I have dozens of pets running around. Sold dozens more.
Doing this has allowed me to manifest 5 out of 5: Proof, Sharp shot, Death giver, Pain giver and Spritely.
If you have access to crowns, buy some Evil Magma Peas for snacks. Top notch snacks. I have also farmed for them (EMPs), but the drop rate is low.
Good Luck

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I do a lot of hatches with people who don't have very good pets. Most of my talents will transfer to the new pet, but if the person needs another hatch (or more), I will keep them on my Friend list until they are happy with their new pet, or until they get the talents in the gene pool that they want.

There are a lot of people who would be willing to hatch with you. It's just that there are many more that don't, unfortunately. It's not always because you have a bad pet, but because they don't have any more gold, or they just hatched and have to wait for the timer, or they don't have enough crowns to buy a timer potion.

Check here on Central:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?102-Pet-Mixing-Meet-Ups

There are a lot of nice people there that can help you

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
Thnx for the help but I'll just try and find a nice person ( if that's possible)
Wolf Deathwalker lvl 82 death

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Thnx for the help but I'll just try and find a nice person ( if that's possible)
Wolf Deathwalker lvl 82 death
If you dont please get me a TFC i can hook you up i play 6-8pm pacific time usually on p101 but can go to wizard we can make arrangnemts thanks

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
masterryan1969 on Jun 11, 2013 wrote:
If you dont please get me a TFC i can hook you up i play 6-8pm pacific time usually on p101 but can go to wizard we can make arrangnemts thanks
i have this trend on my watched so if you do need a hatch i will know and use the TFC. I have cancelled my w101 sub due to no progression content being put out. This game is too pack driven to get gear updates. I will be just playing p101 and i am sure that game will turn into the same pack driven game.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2012
Like in the cannon game if you get all bull's eye of 2 bull's eye and a red shot thing.
from the wizard of high levels,
Jasmine Moonpetal

Delver
Nov 05, 2011

I agree with you but I got a hint.
1 Buy a pet that makes a hybred
2 Train to adult
3 Hatch with someone with any may cast
4 Train that pet until it gets the good status
5 Hatch with someone who has the status you want

Good Luck!

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
Get your lvl 48 pet to adult and hatch. They have the best hybrids.
Emma Emeraldsword lvl 54

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
I have a perfect pet, gives resist MC fairy and tower shield. I agree with you I despise it when people with adult pets that give no or bad talents ask to hatch with me, makes me feel insulted.

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
I disagree! I have a friend with a Jinn (I believe that is how you spell it) that gives spell proof, and spell defy, gives Fairy Friend, and Spritely. He hatched with me and that's how I got up to a Myth Imp that gives Fairy Friend, Unicorn, and Spritely. Just ask a friend to hatch with you, don't be embarrassed to ask for some help! Good luck to you, my good sir!

Survivor
May 29, 2013
I think i sorta have a solution...

I know everyone starts out with bad pets, If you have friends or brothers that have good pets ask THEM
My golden piggie is a teen and i got a health gift of 12, But i noticed everytime i complete a minigame in Increases by 1. So like by the time your a Ancient pet it's like 100 or Something, I hope this helps

Andrew, Level 28 Wizard

Explorer
Jun 05, 2011
Alright, lemme set my thoughts straight.

You can't get a "Perfect Pet", that's true. But, there's something you haven't noticed: What if you have two pets, both with great stats, and you want to combine them to make a "Perfect pet" for your needs?

I know that this is about something different, a different party wanting in on hatches for pets. But, there are other sources:

Wizard101 Central has the Pet Hatching Meet-up section, where you can meet with others to hatch pets. That's one among many things that you can do.

IMO, image doesn't concern me on a pet. It's the stats.

Explorer
Oct 06, 2010
I would be happy to hatch with anyone not depending upon their pet!

BrandonBearBreath Level 47 Master Sorcerer

In Realm: Torrence

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
I hate pet hatching /training and doing so seemingly endlessly - but that's the system so I do it. But because I hate doing it I'm very careful of how I do it.

1. first you must get your gardeners up to full gardens.
Over at Central there's a great guide to which plants and how to arrange them to fit in your large spell. If you can get Crown seeds I recommend it highly - as it's way faster to train with their mega snacks. EMP, DH & Couches aren't the only crown seeds for Mega Snacks - but they are far and away the best ones. Remember to check the Wizard101central.com wiki page for the drop sites for Evil Magma Peas, Couch Potatoes and Dealy Helephant Ears. If you can't go straight to those crown seeds, start with the Prickley Bear Cactus - use medium enchanted pots to do the set up in the guide and as you get the EMP & Deadly Helephants as drops your garden is ready - except the "likes" http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?194262-The-Perfect-Garden-Evil-Magma-Peas

2. as people already mentioned, the best place to start is with a 1st generation Sea Dragon (that is one you got yourself from the Crown Shop or a drop in Celestia.)

3. get a pet of the species you want - to start with it should be equippable by all your characters - and hatch with that 1st gen. Sea Dragon. And almost every time you get the right body as an offspring (say my Light Sprite) you hatch the baby back to the original Sea Dragon - until training reveals that one of the offspring actually has a better talent set. (maybe you didn't start with a Light Sprite like I did - maybe you started with Sea Dragon and 1st gen Leopard - so you have an offspring with Piercetrain, Pip, Shot, Tower Card, Pain Giver, Proof, Spritely, mc Smoke Screen, and the two cards at the bottom of Sea Dragons page. Then you'd use that offspring from now on - instead of the 1st gen Sea Dragon.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
4. Possibly the most important thing is that every time you hatch you remember to take a screen-shot of the two parents cards while your on the hatching sigel. On my keyboard the button is on the upper right above Backspace. It's lable reads: Prt Scr and under the underline it says: SysRq (that's all on one key Prt Scr / SysRq. You don't use the Controle/Crtl button - just hit the Print Screen button - Then check the "Hatch" box in your screen.

When your done you open your Documents and there's a folder automatically in there for screen shots from Wizard101 ( a new one showed up for Pirate101 too) Open it or your general My Documents - and the screen shot is there. I title mine with future searches in mind. So I go to the Dye Shop before renaming my screen shot (which is just a string of numbers - I think the date is in there) I name the egg and note the dna / pedigree number - then take a screen shot of the eggs talents sheet too.

So my titles look like:
  • Prince Jessie (63) leopard [for the baby] [63 being the Pedigree number next to the DNA symbol ~ including that matters because after so many pets sometimes the name and pedigree repeat and all you can do is look at both pictures and talent sequence]
  • and the double screen picture of the parents title is like: parents of Prince Jessie 63 leopard - Nala (60) 1st gen leopard & King Joey (71) 1st gen sea dragon
Once the two pictures are renamed I open with Paint and crop them and set it up to write on the pictures and hit Save when I'm done. This way I can track the talents passed on to the egg and know who to bother training and how far. And who not to hatch with in the future. You can't assume that your best pet is your 5th or 10th generation pet. If you want Spritely and Proof on the same pet - you have to know that both talents transferred. If it didn't, you need to choose parents with both talents when ever possible.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
and last but not least:

On the talent tracking - Remember:

Check the Petnome Project and Wizard101 Central for the talents which are possible for each pet. Knowing that allows you to track the talents on your pets. I can't train all 10 of my talents so I can't know if I'm always 100% correct in my predictions - but I've only been revealed by training to have been wrong twice.

Remember that while the talents do transfer from both parents to the egg - the order in which they go is the same.
So it's possible to know if a talent was skipped and not transferred by either parent. And they usually transfer in chunks -not always - but usually. So you begin to see recognizable patterns. My pets almost always end up with a 3 dot, 4 dot, 2 dot, 1 dot, 2 dot - and I know that means Pain Giver, Proof, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Defy. Getting all of those to manifest as active talents is the hard part - but at least I know the pet is worth training and hatching again.

So garden madly - hoard some snacks. Meanwhile hatch madly - hoard some pets trained to adult for re-hatching ~ ~ until you have some that talent tracking shows to have the potential to manifest 4 or 5 of your desired talents - hatch and re-hatch those till you have a hoard of Potential Successes. Once you have 5 or 6 of those, watch out for Test Realm to open and make sure your membership is current then. Train them in Test Realm using your hoard of snacks and continue gardening in Test too - then you know which pet or pets to use the Live Realm real snacks on.

Remember to also test the game while in Test Realm - it's a good faith thing - they allow us to save some headache and time and train our pets in Test - we need to also test the game for them and send in comments and bug reports.

As for that perfect pet - it's totally possible - it takes 10 -12 generations (usually - I did get lucky once on generation 5) but only if you know what your hatching with - so Track Those Talents

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
What isn't a bad idea is try and make a lot of friends that you'll regularly do stuff with(Invite them to run a dungeon, quest with them, etc.) Even if they don't have a great pet, someone will probably get one before you, and if you ask them for a hatch you can probably get one. I used to have my best pet as a fierce hound with spritely, mana, and death damage; after hatching with some friends, I've started getting pets with 5 resists, with 5 may casts, and currently a locust swarm snow serpent fairy 10% proof I'm working on mega with. "Hatching isn't what you know, it's who you know" is a very true statement.

Mason ShadowwraithPromethean

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Helenie Nightseer on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
and last but not least:

On the talent tracking - Remember:

Check the Petnome Project and Wizard101 Central for the talents which are possible for each pet. Knowing that allows you to track the talents on your pets. I can't train all 10 of my talents so I can't know if I'm always 100% correct in my predictions - but I've only been revealed by training to have been wrong twice.

Remember that while the talents do transfer from both parents to the egg - the order in which they go is the same.
So it's possible to know if a talent was skipped and not transferred by either parent. And they usually transfer in chunks -not always - but usually. So you begin to see recognizable patterns. My pets almost always end up with a 3 dot, 4 dot, 2 dot, 1 dot, 2 dot - and I know that means Pain Giver, Proof, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Defy. Getting all of those to manifest as active talents is the hard part - but at least I know the pet is worth training and hatching again.

So garden madly - hoard some snacks. Meanwhile hatch madly - hoard some pets trained to adult for re-hatching ~ ~ until you have some that talent tracking shows to have the potential to manifest 4 or 5 of your desired talents - hatch and re-hatch those till you have a hoard of Potential Successes. Once you have 5 or 6 of those, watch out for Test Realm to open and make sure your membership is current then. Train them in Test Realm using your hoard of snacks and continue gardening in Test too - then you know which pet or pets to use the Live Realm real snacks on.

Remember to also test the game while in Test Realm - it's a good faith thing - they allow us to save some headache and time and train our pets in Test - we need to also test the game for them and send in comments and bug reports.

As for that perfect pet - it's totally possible - it takes 10 -12 generations (usually - I did get lucky once on generation 5) but only if you know what your hatching with - so Track Those Talents
Actually, order isn't always the same. I've hatched with people who think that and go all "Ok, slot 7 is defy, 5 is proof, and 3 is fairy; did you get rare epic uncommon in those?" and it'll end up manifesting from somewhere else. Everyone can tell first generation from Central fairly easy, but it gets hard to track them after a while; I had an Onyx Shenlong dragon that I hatched for a while that manifested may cast conviction; I hatch with my own pets only, but still trying to figure out where THAT came from(I know its the Chameleon pet, but I don't hatch Chameleon's). a 10% snack saving worked pretty well for me (Until I hit 999 Fancy Yogurts, then it got complicated). Although keep in mind Test doesn't transfer to Live as the same always; I've made 5 resist pets or 5 damage pets before in test realm who get fairy first thing in live. It's still nice to see if its absolutely worthless though (Like if you train to adult and get a couple of selfish talents).

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
1320Wraith on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
Actually, order isn't always the same. I've hatched with people who think that and go all "Ok, slot 7 is defy, 5 is proof, and 3 is fairy; did you get rare epic uncommon in those?" and it'll end up manifesting from somewhere else. Everyone can tell first generation from Central fairly easy, but it gets hard to track them after a while; I had an Onyx Shenlong dragon that I hatched for a while that manifested may cast conviction; I hatch with my own pets only, but still trying to figure out where THAT came from(I know its the Chameleon pet, but I don't hatch Chameleon's). a 10% snack saving worked pretty well for me (Until I hit 999 Fancy Yogurts, then it got complicated). Although keep in mind Test doesn't transfer to Live as the same always; I've made 5 resist pets or 5 damage pets before in test realm who get fairy first thing in live. It's still nice to see if its absolutely worthless though (Like if you train to adult and get a couple of selfish talents).

1320Wraith,

I have a couple questions and a clarification.

First, When I said to remember the talents transfer in the same order what I meant wasn't that they always appear on the same line - but that they transfer from the parents cards in the same order. Say you hatch a Sea Dragon with a Chameleon and they are both first generations.

They both get Sharp Shot as a potential talent - and they both have it on the 3rd line. That doesn't mean the baby would get it on the 3rd line, if he inherits it at all. Lets say the baby will get Sharp Shot - from the Sea Dragon - but the babies Sharp Shot could be on line 6 Because the babies talents could fall like this:
  1. Mulligan's Shuffle - chameleon
  2. Pip O Plenty - chameleon
  3. Vehement Vanquisher - chameleon
  4. Wise - chameleon
  5. Pierce Train - sea dragon
  6. Sharp Shot - sea dragon
  7. Tower Shield card - sea dragon
  8. Spell Proof - sea dragon
  9. Dogged - chameleon
  10. Cheeky - chameleon
They don't land in the same spot as the parents - but they transfer from the parents in the same order - depending on which parent the talent actually came from. My stock is mostly Sea Dragon heritage - so almost all my pets get Sharp Shot on the 1-3 lines. But I've hatched with people (and taken my screen shot) who's pets had Sharp Shot down very low on their cards - and when my egg got the Sharp Shot from the strangers pet - Sharp Shot started showing up low on my eggs too. Now I have to use my screen shots, and train to adult or ancient, and note where the known talents landed so I can see the order they transferred in.

For instance if my parents only had one Uncommon among them - Fairy Friend - then when it shows up on my egg - I know for sure it got Fairy Friend. If the Fairy Friend was line 4 on the parent and is line 7 on the baby - I know almost the whole set of talents for the egg came from the parent without an uncommon talent - because they transfer in order and the Fariy Friend pet only had 3 possible talents above Fairy Friend to transfer. If the parent with Fairy Friend had 3 Rare talents above Fairy Friend (which was line 4) but the egg has all Ultra-Rare & Epics above Fairy Friend - I know that all of them came from the parent without Fairy Friend.

(characters running out so.. ) 1 question - when you trained in Test Realm and got different results in Live - had the egg already hatched into a pet in Live Realm before Test went active? According to KI once the egg becomes a pet the actual talents that will manifest are set and if you train it will be. My assumption is that either the egg hadn't hatched in Test Realm and then was trained there or that you accidentally trained two different pets with the same name and species. Is this possible?

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Helenie Nightseer on Aug 18, 2013 wrote:
1320Wraith,

I have a couple questions and a clarification.

First, When I said to remember the talents transfer in the same order what I meant wasn't that they always appear on the same line - but that they transfer from the parents cards in the same order. Say you hatch a Sea Dragon with a Chameleon and they are both first generations.

They both get Sharp Shot as a potential talent - and they both have it on the 3rd line. That doesn't mean the baby would get it on the 3rd line, if he inherits it at all. Lets say the baby will get Sharp Shot - from the Sea Dragon - but the babies Sharp Shot could be on line 6 Because the babies talents could fall like this:
  1. Mulligan's Shuffle - chameleon
  2. Pip O Plenty - chameleon
  3. Vehement Vanquisher - chameleon
  4. Wise - chameleon
  5. Pierce Train - sea dragon
  6. Sharp Shot - sea dragon
  7. Tower Shield card - sea dragon
  8. Spell Proof - sea dragon
  9. Dogged - chameleon
  10. Cheeky - chameleon
They don't land in the same spot as the parents - but they transfer from the parents in the same order - depending on which parent the talent actually came from. My stock is mostly Sea Dragon heritage - so almost all my pets get Sharp Shot on the 1-3 lines. But I've hatched with people (and taken my screen shot) who's pets had Sharp Shot down very low on their cards - and when my egg got the Sharp Shot from the strangers pet - Sharp Shot started showing up low on my eggs too. Now I have to use my screen shots, and train to adult or ancient, and note where the known talents landed so I can see the order they transferred in.

For instance if my parents only had one Uncommon among them - Fairy Friend - then when it shows up on my egg - I know for sure it got Fairy Friend. If the Fairy Friend was line 4 on the parent and is line 7 on the baby - I know almost the whole set of talents for the egg came from the parent without an uncommon talent - because they transfer in order and the Fariy Friend pet only had 3 possible talents above Fairy Friend to transfer. If the parent with Fairy Friend had 3 Rare talents above Fairy Friend (which was line 4) but the egg has all Ultra-Rare & Epics above Fairy Friend - I know that all of them came from the parent without Fairy Friend.

(characters running out so.. ) 1 question - when you trained in Test Realm and got different results in Live - had the egg already hatched into a pet in Live Realm before Test went active? According to KI once the egg becomes a pet the actual talents that will manifest are set and if you train it will be. My assumption is that either the egg hadn't hatched in Test Realm and then was trained there or that you accidentally trained two different pets with the same name and species. Is this possible?
Ok, yea the first generation thing kind of threw me off; I don't even know how many times my pets have been hatched through, which can be annoying when something random pops up. I'm still not ready to trust in everything that gets thrown out there since the sheer RANDOMNESS I get sometimes is astounding on pets(Like when my storm beetle I'm breeding for death damage gets may cast conviction and life resist). And for the Test Realm training, I know that Kingsisle said that actual talents manifest and all, but far to many times I'll do something like Test Realm train an epic pet and get 15% storm resist, Live train that same epic pet and get life damage 6%. I keep a few pet notebooks saying Pedigree, ancestry, talents manifested, name, and species, which is largely possible since I rarely hatch with anyone but myself; I've only before trained a pet that's the wrong one once, because I had two identical Deer Knight's for pedigree and the talents tier, but managed to catch that; don't think could have been a mistrain(Yea I know it isn't a word).