Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good storm secondary?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2009
Ok my sister was wondering what was a good secondary? Plz reply she really wants this answer.

Explorer
May 30, 2010
My storm likes life as a secondary school because of the higher chance of a spell actually going off and because she tends to solo, so the healing is nice.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
honestly, you don't need a secondary school.

sestiva, my now-archmage diviner, started off with death as her second; at level 20-something, i bought her points back and swapped death for life, only to discover that, by the time she hit level 50, she didn't need either of them.

if you're worried about healing, use your pixie until you get healing current at level 75 (even then, i still keep pixie in for boss fights, as healing current can be unpredictable at best and unreliable at worst). and make sure you get a pet with healing and resist talents~ it can take a lot of hatching, but you'll find it's worth it.

note: waterworks hat and cape, with avalon crafted boots, is the best available combo for storm through level 80.

hope this helps!

-von
promethean and
archmage

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
Dr Von on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
honestly, you don't need a secondary school.

sestiva, my now-archmage diviner, started off with death as her second; at level 20-something, i bought her points back and swapped death for life, only to discover that, by the time she hit level 50, she didn't need either of them.

if you're worried about healing, use your pixie until you get healing current at level 75 (even then, i still keep pixie in for boss fights, as healing current can be unpredictable at best and unreliable at worst). and make sure you get a pet with healing and resist talents~ it can take a lot of hatching, but you'll find it's worth it.

note: waterworks hat and cape, with avalon crafted boots, is the best available combo for storm through level 80.

hope this helps!

-von
promethean and
archmage
Dear von,
How fast do you quest o. O

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Pretty much what Dr Von said, although if you're especially risk-averse (why on earth are you playing storm in the first place? ) you can allocate your points to a "31 flavors" utility belt of low pip or 0 pip spells:

Ice to Tower Shield. That gives you basic defense against Balance, and some additional shields

Life to Sprite. That gives you a set of shields and a second heal that you can use on your teammates and/or minion. I would consider going to Satyr if you're having trouble getting good gear or finding you're soloing more or intend to do pvp.

Death to Feint. It's a bit more points to spend but you get 2 healing spells that work for you under Doom and you also get Feint. Less dramatic but equally important you get a set of shields that covers you vs life.

OR

Balance to Weakness.

Remember to save points for elemental blades and all the astral spells. If you have to cut one training track to save points for big astral spells, it would probably be Tower.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Percy373 on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
Dear von,
How fast do you quest o. O
Hello there, Percy!

How fast I quest depends on what's going on IRL~ I am a young adult in my 20s, meaning that I have unlimited access to the interwebz and can quest for many hours or at strange times when everyone else is asleep/at school/etc.

I have been playing this game for 2 and a half years~ Sestiva is my 3rd wizard and, because she follows the main arc only, she levels up slower but progresses through the storyline faster than my main wizard (bal), who does both main and side quests. She also had a questing buddy for a time, which makes things go much faster as well.

-

Side note: I agree with Crunkatog; tower shields are quite useful, and Sestiva's sideboard is full of them... they have saved her in many a bad combat situation, so I do recommend that you do carry either trained or TC for your wizard. And yes, save your points for the sun/star schools~ Fortify is especially good for Storm, and Colossal will turn your already-steroid damage into something completely new and terrifying.

cheers, and happy trails!

-Dr. von Awesomestein, Esquire.
Mrs. Mally the Undying, removes ice cream from all enemies.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
I'd train life up to Satyr, Ice to Tower, as well as elemental blade, reshuffle, then enchantments and stuff.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Astral spells:

Basically forget the moon school for now. I'll come back to that later

Sun to colossal of course. Giant sea monsters are yesterday's news. Colossal ones, however... :) Don't bother with accuracy enchantments - your gear at this level should be giving you up to 98% accuracy so you only need the enchants when you are battling Luska, in which case just get some tc unstoppables and combine those with your trained Infallible to get through the ink.

Star: Infallible, Galvanic Field, and your personal choice of one other one from among Empowerment, Vengeance, Conviction, Fortify.

I would probably train Conviction or Empowerment at this point because of all the star spells you want to have in your opening hand going into Azteca, those two are on my wish list.

If you want to use Amplify or Berserk, just get it as a tc. The times when you would want to be even more of a target for the sake of a blade's or less damage boost are few. Vengeance you only use when you are about to go off, so you can safely store them in your sideboard until you're ready.

Moon: If you have any points left over from all the other stuff, and you want to experiment, think about what your strengths and weaknesses are and select the polymorph that complements those the most. Don't hit this button until you've already done what TheShieldbug1 said.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
crunkatog on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
Astral spells:

Basically forget the moon school for now. I'll come back to that later

Sun to colossal of course. Giant sea monsters are yesterday's news. Colossal ones, however... :) Don't bother with accuracy enchantments - your gear at this level should be giving you up to 98% accuracy so you only need the enchants when you are battling Luska, in which case just get some tc unstoppables and combine those with your trained Infallible to get through the ink.

Star: Infallible, Galvanic Field, and your personal choice of one other one from among Empowerment, Vengeance, Conviction, Fortify.

I would probably train Conviction or Empowerment at this point because of all the star spells you want to have in your opening hand going into Azteca, those two are on my wish list.

If you want to use Amplify or Berserk, just get it as a tc. The times when you would want to be even more of a target for the sake of a blade's or less damage boost are few. Vengeance you only use when you are about to go off, so you can safely store them in your sideboard until you're ready.

Moon: If you have any points left over from all the other stuff, and you want to experiment, think about what your strengths and weaknesses are and select the polymorph that complements those the most. Don't hit this button until you've already done what TheShieldbug1 said.
This really depends on play-style.
In my humble opinion...

1) the only star spells you *need* are amplify, fortify, (both level 52+) and galvanic field (level 84+).

-my storm wizard has had perfect accuracy since she hit level 60; she has never used infallible or empowerment, and has no need of either (though infallible may be useful in pvp), and no diviner should ever use berzerk unless she has a death wish.

-my first-ever wizard (bal) did have both empowerment and infallible trained once, but i realized what a waste of space they were and did not buy them back when i reallocated her training points.

-you can only train conviction if you are a sergeant or higher in ranked pvp.

2) don't bother with the moon school; polymorphs will cause you to lose all of your resist and block (both of which are required to survive at the upper levels) when you transform, and they will not sustain you. once again, my first wizard had them and i did not buy them back when i redistributed her points.

~ Dr. von Awesomestein the Undying, Esquire

Survivor
Jul 22, 2011
I'd say storm would be a good 2nd school for ice and life because ice and life have weak attacks

Defender
May 29, 2009
Dr Von on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
This really depends on play-style.
In my humble opinion...

1) the only star spells you *need* are amplify, fortify, (both level 52+) and galvanic field (level 84+).

-my storm wizard has had perfect accuracy since she hit level 60; she has never used infallible or empowerment, and has no need of either (though infallible may be useful in pvp), and no diviner should ever use berzerk unless she has a death wish.

-my first-ever wizard (bal) did have both empowerment and infallible trained once, but i realized what a waste of space they were and did not buy them back when i reallocated her training points.

-you can only train conviction if you are a sergeant or higher in ranked pvp.

2) don't bother with the moon school; polymorphs will cause you to lose all of your resist and block (both of which are required to survive at the upper levels) when you transform, and they will not sustain you. once again, my first wizard had them and i did not buy them back when i redistributed her points.

~ Dr. von Awesomestein the Undying, Esquire
You said that amplify and fortify are both lvl 52 but amplify is lvl 54

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
@Dr Von: I was looking primarily at pvp competency.

I have not personally trained anything except infallible and sun through colossal. My accuracy is 98-100% depending on wand and pet choice. The main reason I took infallible is squeaking a little damage past shields and (moderate) resist. It won't help you vs. jade ice but then not a lot will.

Empowerment and conviction (and vengeance and fortify) are really situational. Training them means you are committed to drawing the right aura at the right time. A late Empowerment or an early Vengeance don't help you much. They are thus better as sideboard cards, so you can look for the one you need when you need it. You also don't need to be sgt to buy a few tc conviction. Most quest battles you won't ever need any of these.

Amplify hasn't really been spectacular for me. It is great when you are questing and just want to breeze through large numbers of monsters. It is a liability if you are facing human opponents who can take full advantage of the self damage boost. Galvanic is arguably a better use of the train point, watch out for flying medusas.

As for moon school, my personal take is they are utterly without merit. There will always be the occasional very well played polymorph treant or somesuch that saves a team. This is so rare it is not statistically significant, but if you (the readers) want to be that guy, I'm not going to disrespect you for taking that gamble.