Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Owl too powerful?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
I dont think so because storm has low heath and accuracy

Explorer
Feb 29, 2012
I think storm owl is too powerful even for a rank 11 spell becasuse with the gear that they get power and critical wise then they will almost always hit 3000 damage

Defender
Jan 22, 2012
You can never have too much power.

Sierra Ashblood, Legendary

Defender
Nov 01, 2012
-_-
They hardly fizzle now with waterworks gear if they are still using it, which most of us are. Death is the fizzle school.
Storm owl can hit 10k with two sharpen blade and a regular blade. Not powerful? Haha you are funny.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
saberlover5 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I think storm owl is too powerful even for a rank 11 spell becasuse with the gear that they get power and critical wise then they will almost always hit 3000 damage
rank 10

Survivor
Aug 11, 2011
Actually, I think that the spell is underpowered because it is the only rank 10 spell that has no special effects. With shields/auras, the damage is quickly reduced. I much prefer to use Leviathan, although it causes less damage, to remove two blades/shields.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Survivor
Dec 12, 2009
storm owl is not overpowered even with it if a boss or in pvp shields it and blocks a crit then you can die easily with your low health and bad resist plus it has no bonus and you have to get alot of pips to use it

Explorer
May 17, 2009
I am Fire, and with an enchant and a blade my Efreet does around 2,500 damage.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2013
smkhusky on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Uh.... the low health does not have anything to do at all with the spell, only the accuracy.

Explorer
Mar 16, 2011
Cool Jack on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
Actually, I think that the spell is underpowered because it is the only rank 10 spell that has no special effects. With shields/auras, the damage is quickly reduced. I much prefer to use Leviathan, although it causes less damage, to remove two blades/shields.
I hate special things on spells. Im , and if i had my way gnomes would be a straight damage spell. The dispels are useles on all but , and is easy for me anyway because i have gear that gets me 72% resist. plus, leviathan does like 700 less base damage, so why use it and take off blades when u can use storm owl and just kill him.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Percy373 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
-_-
They hardly fizzle now with waterworks gear if they are still using it, which most of us are. Death is the fizzle school.
Storm owl can hit 10k with two sharpen blade and a regular blade. Not powerful? Haha you are funny.
LOL, I know right. Don't forget the +95 boost from gear.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
beastmaster202 on Jul 11, 2013 wrote:
I hate special things on spells. Im , and if i had my way gnomes would be a straight damage spell. The dispels are useles on all but , and is easy for me anyway because i have gear that gets me 72% resist. plus, leviathan does like 700 less base damage, so why use it and take off blades when u can use storm owl and just kill him.
I love special effects on spells.

Think of all the people in pvp who use life mastery amulets and train life to satyr. You just wreck their day when you slap a couple dispels on them - they will have to burn legend shields or actual healing spells to get rid of the dispels. Pets will sometimes burn them off, but if they don't...

For best results, do this against a life mastery ice and then follow up with infection and slowly grind them down to nothing.

You also wreck life bosses who rely on heals or a healing minion to make your life miserable. Think of how much fun Mika Skarka was. Now think of how much better it would be if you could just, y'know, shut him down for a couple turns.

Don't even get me started on how useful levy is with his tailwind. Often I don't even need to put enfeeble or disarm in the deck or side anymore - just ramp into levy. I rarely EVER catch anyone with enfeeble - they are hyper vigilant about me getting 3 pips - so they use their blades before I get a chance to wipe them. But they almost ALWAYS get caught out when I levy, or even better, Sea Krait tc (surprise cheap little levy you can get in the bazaar) just wrecks them. I've even got a build vs. mana burn and winter moon that uses Elucidate + Levy to sneak in a teeth-jarring small levy at six pips.

These are game-winning special effects that are worth spending the extra mana.

I can respect wanting to hit for a lot of damage. Heck, it's why I still play storm, even though I've come to appreciate how difficult it will be to 1v1 with this school. But these little combat tricks add up to a lot of tempo loss for the enemy. More so than just a heap of additional damage. Once you are in AZ you will see why doing 1500 damage is almost insignificantly better than doing say, 1000 damage + undoing two turns of blades.

Against a monster with 21000 health, the extra 500 damage you deal may be healed entirely away by a minion or a bladed Wraith, or the monster has Life Mastery as part of his boss cheats. But if you manage to undo 2 turns of blading up, including Guiding Light, you protect yourself so you can live to Levy again.

I guess the one thing you can say about Storm Owl is that for 2 extra pips, you deal 500 extra damage. That's a bigger jump than the one you get going from Triton to Levy. And that's probably why other schools get special FX tacked onto their spells, because their damage increment isn't nearly as big for rank 9->rank 10 spell. And that's exactly what fits Storm - a giant cannonball of damage, and just that.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
is supposed to be a damage school by sacrificing health and accuracy. I believe that it's a good amount of damage compared to the other spells.
Eric Ash

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
-_-
Solution: Storm dispel, shield, tower shield. Problem solved.
And I agree, storm owl isn't overpowered. It only hits one enemy with no special effects, it is fine as it is.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
-_-
Well, is known as the fizzle/low health school.

WW gear (full) brings it to around 95% to NOT fizzle.

Say a storm equips a storm elixir? Boom. 110% no fizzle.

can be killed easily, if you keep shields constant (0 pip shields) and blade constantly.

Hope this helped!

Level 90 ChrisIceBreeze

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
Storm owl is OP because its a level 88 spell and its the HIGH damage and low healh school and high fizzle just use a storm shield (0 pips) when facing storm rank 10+ and you will be fine

Luke thundercaster promethean pyromancer lvl 90

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Don't just dismiss the lack of extra effects, effects are a great way to mess up your enemy, it isn't ALL about the damage. Storm is designed to do higher damage then any other school, and were complaining that the spell is too high damage? Storm has less health then any other school, so they need high damage to make up for it.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
smkhusky on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I also think that storm owl is a good spell because it has no special effects and it only attacks one enemy. If diviners have low health, they should have very high damage to make up for it.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Thunder snake 105 -145 (1 Pip)
Storm owl 1525 - 1625 (10 pips)
Leviathan 1030 (8 Pips)
Triton: 795 - 875 (6 pips)

It's on par with leviathan, Since leviathan has a 2 blade remove (2 pip average cost) It does 172. damage per pip (the 6 pips used for damage) and if it was a solid damage spell it would do 1373.

Compare the damage now to storm owl. 152.5 per pip. 162.5 per pip....... Its just normal storm damage.

If You consider owl to be over powered, consider this. You can pretty much 2-3 hit a storm wizard. (easily one hit one!)

Storm mobs, shield heal and kill. Storm owl hurts against 40% resist (the average i see in game) but you can still easily heal over and counter with an attack.

Over powered? No.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Storm Owl isnt overpowered. The lvl 88 storm spell is the only spell that does not have anything else but damage so i think 1525-1625damage makes up for it.
-MikeThePrometheanOverlord

Survivor
Jan 04, 2012
i have level 90 storm friends and i to think the storm owl spell is over powered because if you wizards blade i'v seen storm owl hit 75,000 damage

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
mr flame on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
i have level 90 storm friends and i to think the storm owl spell is over powered because if you wizards blade i'v seen storm owl hit 75,000 damage
I've used Dr. Von's Monster on my death wizard and hit over 200,000 damage without any treasure cards, and that only has about half of the base power of storm owl (dr. von is 820 damage, 1003 damage with colossal).
Nicholas DeathWeaver, One In A Million, lvl 86

Defender
May 05, 2010
I believe "Storm Owl" is good enough as is, the high damage is to compensate for the no side-effects.

Wolf Deathbringer Level 80+ Necromancer