Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does magic work?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
How does magic work, exactly? Do we wizards have some sort of magic brain? Is it a DNA thing? I doubt that, since we were not wizards before.

It seems to be something you train in like cooking. But, that still doesn't answer the question. How does magic work, and how did it originate in the Wizard101 universe, the Spiral?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Fable Finder on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
How does magic work, exactly? Do we wizards have some sort of magic brain? Is it a DNA thing? I doubt that, since we were not wizards before.

It seems to be something you train in like cooking. But, that still doesn't answer the question. How does magic work, and how did it originate in the Wizard101 universe, the Spiral?
You'd say the titans invented it, but how did they invent it?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Fable Finder on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:

That's left to your imagination, really.

Technically, we're just playing a card game, though the cards come to life when played. So the mechanics behind how that works aren't something we need to have explained. Not really.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Ahh, if we get to into the technical details about how to explain magic then it becomes less of magic and more of science.

Mana: Magical Energy that is used to cast spells. That is all...

Survivor
Nov 13, 2009
It wouldn't be magical if you knew how it worked!

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
seeing you don't need a wand to cast spells, but you do need mana to pvp like the owl said above but if your in pvp you could have 0 mana and still cast spells so that theory is false. I think magic work where you learn the spell than cast it because its a fiction world.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Didn't they say something about Bartleby being the source of all magic? I think it's something about an energy that he naturally emenates. Judging by the fact that many are using it for evil, it seems he has no control over who gets to use it. It's all just a matter of knowing how to harness it.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
Well. Ever heard of "A magician can't reveal how he does his tricks" If it's explained... Boom, it's not magic then.
Let's put it this way: Science > Magic
The alligator wants to eat Science, not magic if you put that way.
Keep it so it's magic. Just don't let it keep it down there. :3

--Fiona
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
Oh, look. Another T.S. Eliot quote. Oh, yesssss

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
DevinSkullStone on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
seeing you don't need a wand to cast spells, but you do need mana to pvp like the owl said above but if your in pvp you could have 0 mana and still cast spells so that theory is false. I think magic work where you learn the spell than cast it because its a fiction world.
That is what Ambrose tells Wizards in Golem Tower! Also as far as PVP it's because there is a magical spell in the Arena that allows you to use it's Mana instead of your own.... Woah!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
average moe on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
Didn't they say something about Bartleby being the source of all magic? I think it's something about an energy that he naturally emenates. Judging by the fact that many are using it for evil, it seems he has no control over who gets to use it. It's all just a matter of knowing how to harness it.
Yes, Bartleby is the center of the Spiral and the ultimate source of Magic. (Unless you talk to Wysterians, they believe it's that Fountain that they got over there.) The Elemental Schools are personified in the Titans which are Bartleby's Children so yes, it would still come from Bartleby.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Fiona FairySong on Jul 4, 2016 wrote:
Well. Ever heard of "A magician can't reveal how he does his tricks" If it's explained... Boom, it's not magic then.
Let's put it this way: Science > Magic
The alligator wants to eat Science, not magic if you put that way.
Keep it so it's magic. Just don't let it keep it down there. :3

--Fiona
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
Oh, look. Another T.S. Eliot quote. Oh, yesssss
If you've ever seen The Sorcerer's Apprentice movie live-action with Nicholas Cage. They explain that all persons are magical it's just they only use like 10% of their Brain. Wizards use like 80-100% of their Brain at the same time so that is how they do it. (That's just their theory, I do not necessarily endorse that theory per se, but I'm not against it either.)

Survivor
Jun 17, 2016
I haven't been keeping up with the Spiral's lore, but I've wondered on my own about how magic worked in the past. From what I seem to be getting, I feel like wizards draw all their powers from other realms, possibly from outside the Spiral. After all, most of our spells involve summoning an elemental being of some sort. If you take the scientific approach, matter cannot be created nor destroyed, so if something just appears out of nowhere, it had to have come from somewhere else. There are lots of undiscovered worlds out there, and our way of contacting these magical realms is through these spell cards. These cards might have specific enchantments that reach out to another plane of existence and summon inhabitants of those lands. It came to mind when I was playing my ice wizard and went through both the Frost Giant and Snow Angel spells. These creatures that we're summoning have been called and they willingly come to our aid when engaged in combat. There might be some lore in the Spiral that contradicts what I've brought up, but these are just my thoughts.